Impressions on Sig 516? compared to colt?

rudiepop

Looking to get bushmaster as next purchase but the gun guys are trying to say that the Sig 516 is better. Have a Colt AR 15 that i have had since 1984 and it is "OK" in my book. If I am to get a new one i want a big upgrade without breakin the bank.
I have a Sig P226. had it for 15 years and its a decent gun. My only personal experience with Sig.
I haven't found a place that i could test the 516. If i could find one in Southern Mo or north AR. i would drive to test it. My friend has the bushmaster and it performs better than my colt. feedback please.

Also barrel length. I just need 500yds out of it and my Colt does that easy with 16inch barrel.

Just from the various gun-forum websites that I visit on a regular basis, I get the impression that Sig rifles don't always enjoy the same QC that their pistols do. I don't recall anything specific about the 516 but I've seen a lot more complaints about their long guns than I have their shorties.

My S&W has performed flawlessly and I know a couple of people who say the same thing about their Rock River ARs.

You couldn't give me a Bushmaster that I wouldn't turn around and sell and use the cash for an LMT CQB MRP.

My friend has the bushmaster and it performs better than my colt.
In what way does your friend's Bushmaster perform better than your Colt? My Colt LE6920 is a delight to shoot and has never hiccuped, not even once. A Bushmaster might do the same thing, but I can't imagine how it could perform better. Is there a problem with your Colt?

In what way does your friend's Bushmaster perform better than your Colt? My Colt LE6920 is a delight to shoot and has never hiccuped, not even once. A Bushmaster might do the same thing, but I can't imagine how it could perform better. Is there a problem with your Colt?

Nothing wrong with my Colt other than it has seen alot of use and some abuse. AR-15 A2 Sporter preban. One thing I HATE about it. If I rapid fire I will get some failure to feed now and then. Actually more than now and then. If I pump two thirty round clips out at a moderatly rapid pace it will happen once for sure. If you keep it to two to four round bursts it seems to do fine. I have tried new clips and the colt clips perform best.

Nothing wrong with my Colt other than it has seen alot of use and some abuse. AR-15 A2 Sporter preban. One thing I HATE about it. If I rapid fire I will get some failure to feed now and then. Actually more than now and then. If I pump two thirty round clips out at a moderatly rapid pace it will happen once for sure. If you keep it to two to four round bursts it seems to do fine. I have tried new clips and the colt clips perform best.
Thanks! I was just curious. And, pretty bullish on the Colts. One of my friends, a guy with more firearms experience than anyone else I know, has a Bushmaster with which he is delighted. Different strokes...

Sounds like all your Colt may need a bit of rebuilding. Have you tried replacing gas rings? You may have a partially blocked Bolt Carrier Key or it may be loose. Without having experienced the failures first hand I am just throwing possibilities out there. You might also want to check the gas tube as well. I have had them fail in different ways to create poor pressure at the Bolt Carrier so as not to cycle it completely thus failing to feed.

I used Bushmasters almost exclusively in my last job for testing. They can take a lot of abuse, may not be the prettiest when it comes to finish but they work. I rebuilt and re-barreled them often through out the year. We had a couple GI Colts and FN's and they were not any worse or better when it came to barrel life or maintenance requirements.

Sounds like all your Colt may need a bit of rebuilding. Have you tried replacing gas rings? You may have a partially blocked Bolt Carrier Key or it may be loose. Without having experienced the failures first hand I am just throwing possibilities out there. You might also want to check the gas tube as well. I have had them fail in different ways to create poor pressure at the Bolt Carrier so as not to cycle it completely thus failing to feed.

I used Bushmasters almost exclusively in my last job for testing. They can take a lot of abuse, may not be the prettiest when it comes to finish but they work. I rebuilt and re-barreled them often through out the year. We had a couple GI Colts and FN's and they were not any worse or better when it came to barrel life or maintenance requirements.

I have rebuilt it a couple times and found carbon build up on the flange of the tube only. I shoot good ammo ALWAYS. Tube and carrier has good contact. Barrel nut hole is lined up perfectly to gas port hole. I am pretty certain I don't have a leakage problem and I even had a gunsmith rebuild it the second time just to make sure I wasn't missing something. It had him stumped too. I shot M16's plenty in the Corps and didn't have this much trouble on full auto. I have a friend that has an Hbar same configuration, maybe 4 years newer (1988?) and you can't get the darn thing to fail.
The thing is, I have never had a FTE, only FTF's so I thought it had to be varying tensions on mags or slight differences in quality of mags. I have checked the bolt travel and it looked fine. STUMPED!

I have rebuilt it a couple times and found carbon build up on the flange of the tube only. I shoot good ammo ALWAYS. Tube and carrier has good contact. Barrel nut hole is lined up perfectly to gas port hole. I am pretty certain I don't have a leakage problem and I even had a gunsmith rebuild it the second time just to make sure I wasn't missing something. It had him stumped too. I shot M16's plenty in the Corps and didn't have this much trouble on full auto. I have a friend that has an Hbar same configuration, maybe 4 years newer (1988?) and you can't get the darn thing to fail.
The thing is, I have never had a FTE, only FTF's so I thought it had to be varying tensions on mags or slight differences in quality of mags. I have checked the bolt travel and it looked fine. STUMPED!

Is it not returning to battery or not stripping the next round out of the magazine?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse but I don't like being stumped:unsure:

The only time I had a FTF in my personal Bushmaster was ammunition related. A bunch of us were on the line, I had a magazine fail and a buddy tossed me one of his to continue the drill. Well it was loaded with Wolf steel cased ammo and my Bushmaster HATES that stuff! His Stag will shoot it all day long. That is the only ammunition my gun will not shoot, everything else ... BANG every time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back