If it's legal to open carry, and concealed carry with a permit...

rushfan24

Why is it considered illegal if you're showing part of your gun if it's legal to CC and open carry? If you had a license to CC, what's the big deal of carrying partially concealed? It just makes no sense to me. Yeah, it's supposed to be concealed, but it's legal to open carry. If you had the license to concealed carry, why is it a problem? I don't carry but when I become of age I will and I was just wondering what input you guys have on the subject.

You have to remember that these laws are made by politicians, and much of what they do will not make sense to ordinary people like us. This provision you speak of, as well as the one in many states that require no permit for open carry, but does for concealed carry, are two of the more ridiculous ones I've seen in my lifetime.

Haha It makes no sense to me whatsoever! I did forget that they were made up by politicians. And the kicker is here is MI, there is a law going through government to make it legal to CC in Bars, Schools, and Sporting events, but it's illegal to have a bit of your gun showing? Blasphemy if you ask me. Totally outrageous.

Yes, it's funny how society has swung opposite common sense on this one. Even I thought like this at one time. When I first started looking into gun laws I was surprised that you could OC with no permit.

I had never really thought about it, but the gun that you don't know about can be much more dangerous than the one you are staring at. This is like two steps of common sense more than a polit is capable of obviously.

The law was possibly created to strictly forbid brandishing and intimidating. Think, "guy opening his coat to show his gun". That's the only way I can see your law making sense. In WA I think there is just a separate punishment for brandishing.

Why is it considered illegal if you're showing part of your gun if it's legal to CC and open carry? If you had a license to CC, what's the big deal of carrying partially concealed? It just makes no sense to me. Yeah, it's supposed to be concealed, but it's legal to open carry. If you had the license to concealed carry, why is it a problem? I don't carry but when I become of age I will and I was just wondering what input you guys have on the subject.

Where is this law of which you speak...?

I can see where people are going to say hey, he has a gun, that's dangerous! But any person that says that really needs to take some time to think about the real dangers of life. Every person is in danger no matter where they are. Going to the grocery store, you could get hit by a driver who isn't paying attention. What I really want to find out is how many accidents a year are caused by irresponsible driving, or driving while your judgment is impaired by any means. I want to see that number compared to the number of people that are killed by someone who is legally concealed carrying. I would bet money that the irresponsible driving will have so many more deaths than CC. What I'm trying to say is that CC is dangerous, there are many many many more things that people should be worried about besides someone that has a gun.

I am not a master of the law, but I thought Michigan had a brandishing law. If not, then totally disregard this post haha. If Michigan doesn't i might as well delete this post and apologize for the rant I went on.

I am not a master of the law, but I thought Michigan had a brandishing law. If not, then totally disregard this post haha. If Michigan doesn't i might as well delete this post and apologize for the rant I went on.

Lets see here...

brandishing - present participle of bran·dish
Verb: Wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

An exposed firearm is not brandishing a firearm.

Lets see here...

brandishing - present participle of bran·dish
Verb: Wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

An exposed firearm is not brandishing a firearm.

Huh. I've just heard some stories of friends getting in trouble for having an exposed firearm. I guess the police officer said it has to be either concealed or open, and can't be one of the two. Then again, some, if not most, officers don't know the laws. Not saying all, but most.

So this is for everyone. I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS THREAD! I AM AND IDIOT AND DIDN'T LOOK UP THE LAWS! Haha

Huh. I've just heard some stories of friends getting in trouble for having an exposed firearm. I guess the police officer said it has to be either concealed or open, and can't be one of the two. Then again, some, if not most, officers don't know the laws. Not saying all, but most.

So this is for everyone. I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS THREAD! I AM AND IDIOT AND DIDN'T LOOK UP THE LAWS! Haha

No no, i didn't mean it like that.

I have no doubt that a LEO has falsely arrested someone somewhere for brandishing, but I'd like to see a court case where someone was actually convicted. Now if there is a state law for exposing the firearm, well thats a little different.

You are just fine... there's nothing wrong with your post.... you just have to remember that just because a police officer arrests someone, does not mean that they did anything illegal.

Brandishing means bringing a firearm into view that previously was not in view or calling attention to an already exposed firearm for the purpose of threatening or coercing someone.

An example of NOT brandishing is the "Virginia tuck". Concealed firearms are not allowed in Virginia in restaurants that serve alcohol. But openly carried firearms are. So a lot of concealed carriers in Virginia, when the enter such a restaurant, will simply tuck their shirt in behind the gun so it isn't concealed anymore.

If a person is wearing their gun, and they take no action to expose it or call attention to it with the purpose of coercion or threatening - it's not brandishing.

A small minority of cops out there just don't like the sight of a citizen carrying a gun.

I have just seen many people walking around with guns on there sides, and I don't have a problem, but I can see where other people would be uneasy. I just thought for some reason it was illegal to have a partially exposed pistol. That actually makes my decision for how I'm going to carry a lot easier. But that raises another question for me. I feel like a newbie asking this, but would it be considered concealed or open if you can see the gun through your shirt, like if you could see the silhouette of it? Just curious as to what it would be considered seeing as it's not completely visible, yet you can definitely tell I was packing?

Are you and aibigtuna related? Something is smelling fishy....

I don't even know who that is haha. I was just wondering if anyone had any info one the subject haha

EDIT: Wow, I feel like such an idiot now. I am going to go and act like I didn't even write the above post and go read the other thread haha. Sorry about my stupidity, it's been a long day haha

...I'd like to see a court case where someone was actually convicted....

Then keep an eye on what happens with Link Removed trial. He was accused of brandishing his finger in one of the most bizarre charges I've ever seen in VA. I couldn't believe the arrest paperwork survived even a cursory review by the Commonwealth attorney, let alone was allowed to proceed to trial.

...would it be considered concealed or open if you can see the gun through your shirt, like if you could see the silhouette of it? Just curious as to what it would be considered seeing as it's not completely visible, yet you can definitely tell I was packing?

That would be concealed and other states call that printing... but as its been said all legal in Mich. :biggrin:

I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS THREAD! I AM AND IDIOT AND DIDN'T LOOK UP THE LAWS! Haha
Accepted.

However, let me point out a basic flaw in your original supposition.

If part of your firearm is visible, then (by definition) it is not concealed. Here in Nevada (an OC state), it's no big deal really if your concealed firearm is accidentally displayed...say by the wind blowing your vest open, etc.

However, I carry concealed simply because I don't want anyone to know I'm armed. I'm not the least bit interested in entertaining anybody's questions about my gun...yadda, yadda, yadda. I'll leave that "fun" to the OC folks and the people who wear CCW badges.

I just thought for some reason it was illegal to have a partially exposed pistol.

One thing to remember is this. A partially exposed firearm such as an IWB holster with part of the gun concealed inside your pants would be considered a concealed weapon. As such if you don't have your CCW permit you could be in violation of the law.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back