If an LEO asks why you carry...

I have had only one LEO ask why I was carrying a firearm. I ignored the question and asked what the problem was, they do not have the right to ask it, and to be up front, it is none of their business in states that OC or CC is legal.

I was not detained nor did I provide ID. I was a non issue.

Steve

Maybe we need to start teaching the constitution to kids in schools again, don't know when they stopped (bush era maybe), but in twenty years I've not seen a single episode of COPS where the 'suspect' doesn't immediately agree to waiver all rights. It's too bad the law only protects those of us who know it.

I agree, unfortunately the failure of most people to understand their constitutional rights goes much further than the rights guaranteed under the 2nd.
I believe that it is a concentrated effort by the government and in particular the Dept. of Education to stop teaching the constitution, to stop teaching that the constitution is a document that LIMITS to power of government. Right now we are indoctrinating that the constitution is a living document subject to change at the will of government, to protect us. The ultra left has taken over the education of our children, they are being taught that the government is responsible to take care of them, that others are responsible to pay for it, and all we have to do to live in the one world workers paradise is to surrender all rights to a benevolent government.
If I had my way, we would go through the Dept. Of Education with a chainsaw.

Ok, you can take off the tinfoil hats now.:biggrin:

Steve

Maybe we need to start teaching the constitution to kids in schools again, don't know when they stopped (bush era maybe), but in twenty years I've not seen a single episode of COPS where the 'suspect' doesn't immediately agree to waiver all rights. It's too bad the law only protects those of us who know it.

I've seen one guy that did it sucsessfully the cops even said that had he not shut up they would have been able to charge him.

Actually, I got into a conversation with a friend at the gym who's an LEO. He encourages me to carry. As he put it "you can be a sheep or a wolf." Most LEOs I know also encourage it.

I've been pulled over with it and never had a problem. One thing I do though is if I think I'm about to be pulled over I put the weapon in the console (I keep my registration in the glove box). Prevents an issue.

Why would a LEO ask you that? I suspect I'd give him the same answer I gave one town cop. I was scuba diving where my buddy and I knew there was lost silver and gold in some rapids. I came up contemplating changing tanks and a cop yelled down to me from the bridge above. "Come up here I want to see your license." I told him I wasn't driving what did he want my license for? and he said "Your lobster license." So I said that I wasn't diving for lobster, and he said "What are you diving for then?" I told him it was none of his business, and went back down on the air I had left. When I did come back up there was a parking ticket on my car, but I took it right to the selectman in my wet clothes told him the story, and he tore it up.

Cops will take advantage of every opportunity you give them to exceed their authority. Don't let them.

Actually, I got into a conversation with a friend at the gym who's an LEO. He encourages me to carry. As he put it "you can be a sheep or a wolf." Most LEOs I know also encourage it.

I've been pulled over with it and never had a problem. One thing I do though is if I think I'm about to be pulled over I put the weapon in the console (I keep my registration in the glove box). Prevents an issue.

I keep a copy of my vehicle registration on the visor. But never touch the Glock. Only time we have been asked about carrying is when working (Security) of course I have only had one ticket in 7 years! So not had a lot of experience in being stopped.

I think my answer would be, if asked, it can be dangerous on these mean streets. Can not think why that question would be asked though, at 74 I think it is a good idea to carry, so I do.

I keep a copy of my vehicle registration on the visor. But never touch the Glock. Only time we have been asked about carrying is when working (Security) of course I have only had one ticket in 7 years! So not had a lot of experience in being stopped.

I think my answer would be, if asked, it can be dangerous on these mean streets. Can not think why that question would be asked though, at 74 I think it is a good idea to carry, so I do.

You know, all here that want to put a "the cop has an attitude" spin on this amaze me. have you ever used your head for more than a hat rest? Maybe the cop just likes to know folks are carrying, and has an interest in finding out what made that person get a carry permit. He may have a relative, like a sister, that he is trying to convince to get a permit, and he is accumulating a bunch of different answers( reasons) to give to her, so that it may convince her to go get HER permit.

Usually, when someone asks me a question that I think is out of the ordinary, I just ask why they ask that question. I don't just start regurgitating smart-ass little snip-its I've memorized. Try that sometime. You may get an interesting answer!

You know, all here that want to put a "the cop has an attitude" spin on this amaze me. have you ever used your head for more than a hat rest? Maybe the cop just likes to know folks are carrying, and has an interest in finding out what made that person get a carry permit. He may have a relative, like a sister, that he is trying to convince to get a permit, and he is accumulating a bunch of different answers( reasons) to give to her, so that it may convince her to go get HER permit.

Usually, when someone asks me a question that I think is out of the ordinary, I just ask why they ask that question. I don't just start regurgitating smart-ass little snip-its I've memorized. Try that sometime. You may get an interesting answer!

Been there, done that. The LAST time I went to talk to a cop (and the only time I ever asked one for help) was when my car died in a heavy traffic situation in the middle of the road. When I walked to the cop directing traffic to ask for help getting the car out of the intersection he started yelling and swearing at me to move the car not allowing me to get ONE word out of my mouth until the third attempt I made to explain the car was dead, and he threw me to the ground with a cheap shot leg sweep from behind smashing my face on the street then knee dropped me breaking my ribs. What a tough guy.

Cops suck, for the most part. Never needed one, never will. The premise that a cop would poll the general public to gather personal information is ridiculous. Sounds more to me like the cop would be the smart ass asking that question. Like a cab driver asking "Why do you own a car?" Anyone with half a wit would do a web search and find their answer immediately. ----> Link Removed

Been there, done that. The LAST time I went to talk to a cop (and the only time I ever asked one for help) was when my car died in a heavy traffic situation in the middle of the road. When I walked to the cop directing traffic to ask for help getting the car out of the intersection he started yelling and swearing at me to move the car not allowing me to get ONE word out of my mouth until the third attempt I made to explain the car was dead, and he threw me to the ground with a cheap shot leg sweep from behind smashing my face on the street then knee dropped me breaking my ribs. What a tough guy.

Cops suck, for the most part. Never needed one, never will. The premise that a cop would poll the general public to gather personal information is ridiculous. Sounds more to me like the cop would be the smart ass asking that question. Like a cab driver asking "Why do you own a car?" Anyone with half a wit would do a web search and find their answer immediately. ----> Link Removed

Then THAT guy was a BAD COP! Now, tell us the rest of the story. What did you do about the overuse of force? Did you get up and whip his ass? Like you should have done? If a cop uses excessive force on you, he is just like any other criminal, and you can defend yourself. I am not going to let ANYBODY start knocking me down, hitting me, and roughing me up for no reason, EVEN if it's a cop. He will dealt with accordingly, and IMMEDIATELY. remember, one of the MAIN reasons the Founding Fathers put in the Second Amendment was to protect us from AGGRESSION from the STATE!!

Well. If you really want to hear it. The car got towed anyway. I'd bought my wife a car and took hers which had a bad clutch. We had a new baby and I wanted them safe, and I figured I could baby the clutch til we could afford a new one. It cooked in the worst possible spot I guess. But when the cop came up behind me as I was walking away I never expected he was going to knock me down, so I was stunned from my face hitting the tar, and there were three cops on me before I knew what happened and I was cuffed behind my back.

There was a major event happening in town and hundreds of onlookers. So after I got bailed out and released from the hospital, I took an ad out in the local paper, which they charged me commercial rates for. Fifty bucks a day, trying to find a witness. I only got one call from a guy who said he didn't see the incident, but had a similar incident and wished me luck on my voice mail.

I was a commercial fisherman at the time, and often left for work in the wee hours. The calls started to come in late at night and early in the morning. My wife always answered, and it was always a man threatening us to take the ad out of the paper and forget about what happened. So I had the phone company put a trace on the line. after three more calls, the phone company was required to press charges, because often, once the plaintiff found it was an X wife or friend making the calls they refused to press charges, so this took it out of their hands. It also cast me money for the trace.

So I called the phone company and requested the information, and they said they couldn't give it to me. I had to have a cop come, hear my story, and he would get a docket number and get the information from them and start a case. Well that's like having the cat watch the canary. But it was my only option. So I did that, and a cop showed up and I told him about the calls, but was vague with the information. He asked if I had any idea who it was calling, and I decided it best to say "No."

He left with the report. After a good amount of time of hearing nothing, I called the police station, asked about the case. Stupid me never asked the cop his name, but I told them exactly when he'd taken the report, and they gave me the run around for a long time til I called the phone company back. They said that the information had been given to the police and the record destroyed since there was no sense in them keeping it. End of story, except for the screw job I took in court. Resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer, disorderly conduct, yada yada yada. Plus a hospital bill, we had no health insurance then.

No love for cops here.

I have a number of friends and neighbors who are LEOs. I have asked many of them if they carry off-duty. Everyone I have asked said they are ALWAYS armed. Then they generally say something to effect of "...if you saw what we see every day, you would would never go anyplace unarmed"

Carry off duty

I shoot IDPA with a good buddy, I have known for going on 20 years, he retired from OPD a year ago, still works pay duty's. He is a great shot, shoots Glock matches, wins lots of them.

Every where I am, Glock 19, spare G17 magazine, folder, small bright flash light, all on belt. My Buddy, most never has a carry weapon, even a folder! We went to drop his vehicle off for a hitch installation, the small machine shop, right off the Trail! Not a good area, no gun, I blasted him when I found out, when I took him back to pick it up, he had a KelTec .380 in his back pocket!

So he is not a good example of a always armed Cop, well he has two arms!

The last time I ended up on the road with a Cop in a semi punch up, was in Toronto, (twenty years ago) a road works crew had a on Duty Officer doing traffic detail, I had to stop behind a pick up, the pick up driver jumped out, hammer in belt, words exchanged, leg sweep, down they both went.

I jumped out, helped with the cuffing, all you could hear, wa-wa- the troops, in blue, roof lights a flashing. It was an ongoing chase, I managed to not get arrested! Even got a phone call from the Desk Sgt.

It seems that many stories for and against abound, the nice thing about my move to the US of A, I get to carry!

Why do have the feeling I haven't heard the "whole" story?

Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't like the story if YOU wrote it yourself?

The only part I can recall I didn't mention was a woman lawyer who approached me in the courtroom hallway and said her firm would like to represent me and sue the cop and the town. My wife talked me out of doing that. The other part is that my ribs hurt for about a year. The END of the story hasn't happened yet. It's called "Justice." The thing about shnitbag cops is, after a while they screw with so many people that in time, when something bad happens to them, the list of possible suspects is way too long to go through and their memory fades. Time wounds all heels.

Every where I am, Glock 19, spare G17 magazine, folder, small bright flash light, all on belt. My Buddy, most never has a carry weapon, even a folder!

Folder = Knife?

My nephew called me last night. His family participates in reinactments for the park service here in SC. He was hiking up a trail to spend the night about a mile away from the crowd to sleep on what was the location of a revolutionary war tent-hospital, just to challenge his fear (he's 16). He had no food, no knife, no weapon of any kind, but he had his cellphone. Guess he could call and report that he was being attacked. :biggrin:

I told him to hunt around for a nice club and a smaller sharp stick. He didn't have anything to fear from nature, but I advised him to always be wary of mankind (not paranoid, but street smart).

to a LEO - "Because I legally can"
to all others (including family, car pools etc) - "Who says I'm carrying?" Strictly need to know basis. Just like the song "it's notbody's business but your own"

Why do I get the feeling you wouldn't like the story if YOU wrote it yourself?

The only part I can recall I didn't mention was a woman lawyer who approached me in the courtroom hallway and said her firm would like to represent me and sue the cop and the town. My wife talked me out of doing that. The other part is that my ribs hurt for about a year. The END of the story hasn't happened yet. It's called "Justice." The thing about shnitbag cops is, after a while they screw with so many people that in time, when something bad happens to them, the list of possible suspects is way too long to go through and their memory fades. Time wounds all heels.

What courtroom? Why were you in court?

What courtroom? Why were you in court?

I don't remember exactly, but it was something like;

failure to obey a police officer

resisting arrest

and creating a nuisance

or something like that.

I don't know what was going through his simple mind, but if he'd have let me get two words out he'd have realized I was asking for help. He just kept screaming at me MOVE THAT FU--ING CAR! What did he think I parked in the middle of an intersection to chit chat with his fat arse? I'd bet that "Listening skills" are a requirement on the job application to be a cop. He had none.

My father raised me to respect police. But one look at the slovenly hooligans passing as peace officers in this town and I have to say I can't respect anyone who doesn't respect them self. They need to at least shine their shoes, get a haircut, lose some weight and adjust their attitudes. They're shameful, and NONE of them want to do any real work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back