I took my CCW class yesterday!

DamnYankee

I had a great time too. There was 8 of us in the class. The instructor was a real good guy. He was recommended to me by my ffl when I picked up my XD9. He is an ex marine. After the marines he became a LEO in town. He moved to criminal investigations and then to an undercover drug enforcement agent.
He has since retired from the force but is still on reserve with them. He is now working security at Duke Power's Maguire Nuclear Station. He had some really good stories to tell us. It was a very informative class and I feel much more comfortable with my firearm. Of coarse, the qualification was the most fun part of the day. We only shot 30 rounds though. He said we could hang out and shoot some more if we wanted but it started raining a bit so I didn't stay. He also said we could come to his place to shoot if we want too. That will be great because the nearest range is over a half hour away. I like shooting outside so much better anyway. Now I just have to wait for my permit. Usually it takes around 4-6 weeks. That will give me some time to get a belt and holster and practice drawing with it. Thanks for listening, just wanted to share.

Now that you have your ccw, and pistol you have to break it in, and become proficent at it.
I suggest you find a good shooting coach so you don't develop any bad habits.
Enjoy,and stay safe

Glad you had a good time and that you will soon be the proud owner of a concealed carry permit. Two to four weeks is not bad. In Texas it is running up to three months because there are so many new people getting their license. There have been a lot of people fleeing places like Kalafornia, Daily world, and Bloombergs peoples republic of New York coming to the "free zone".

Glad You Had a Good Class

It is always great to get solid training from someone with good shooting AND good people skills. Glad you had a good experience.

It blows my mind how long it takes to get a permit in different areas. I called for an appointment on Wednesday, went in the following Monday, and had my permit the NEXT day. Franklin County - Ohio Sheriff's office rocks!! Friendly people, accessible location, and efficient process.

Enjoy your XD9!!

Welcome Damn Yankee and congrats on your class!:biggrin:
I carry an XD9-SC and love it. I have several pistols, both semi auto and wheel guns, but I keep going back to the XD9. Like Iceman said, your CCW class is just the beginning of your lifelong learning (long being the operative word) Practice, practice, practice, but make sure you are building good safe skills, not sloppy ones; that's where a shooting coach would be very helpful. This forum has a lot of good people on it, and you should also consider joining something like the Link Removed They are a very valuable resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine 2 weeks ago. My birthday present this year from my wonderful husband was the class, and a Glock 17 to go with it. I should say that I'm an obese woman in my late 50s.

I took an NRA safety course and bought my first gun about 15 years ago. I went to the range at least once a week. But when we moved to a more rural area in '02, I let my practice - and skills - slide. Now we have to move to town, where we have some gang problems, and I decided to get my CCP.

It was a wonderful class. We spent an hour or two on classroom stuff, and on developing a safe draw from concealment. Then we went to the range.

That's when it got really good. We shot about 150-200 rounds each. His instruction got my groups down from 11 inches at first, to 3 inches by the end of the day. We began by standard range shooting - get the bullet to the target. We also learned to shoot with each hand, and using our non-dominant eye, and lying down, and at two targets, and more. The kind of thing it's good to know in case we actually have to USE our guns. The final exam was shooting at two metal targets, placed so that we had to turn 45%.

It was well worth the $225.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I bought my wife a pistol and a CCW class for her birthday also.

Congratulations. Sounds like you had a great time and a good experience. A good instructor makes all the difference in the world.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back