I Lost My Girlfriend Over My Gun Beliefs

Midnight

I'm 22 and am about to graduate from a prominent university in the South. I've sort of been dating this girl for a couple months. She's cute and I loved everything about her . . . except her gun views. I usually didn't carry while we were together, and I never told her that I owned a handgun.

Earlier yesterday, I was cleaning out my truck. She dropped by on a surprise visit, and I was open carrying then. Upon seeing me like this, her face dropped. She asked me about it, and I told her that I'm a firm believer of gun rights. We got into this argument, and I saw a side of her I had never seen until then. She was really against guns and thought people who carry them are all nutcases! We'd been having a hard time anyway since I was about to graduate and leave, so this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It doesn't matter to me since I was probably never going to see her ever again after I move out of town after I graduate, but I found it an even bigger epiphany to realize that you don't really know somebody that well even after a couple months.

It also bugs me that most of my generation automatically think "guns=bad."

sorry for the breakup, but sounds like your not too heart broken over it. true about the few months and not really knowing someone. like wolf said good riddance. your views would of caused a breakup anyway. keep oc'ing and livin up to what you feel is right in your gun views. im a stickler for mineand im 27. i cc everyday like it or not. hell i even got my gf to get her licence.

best wishes~

Women are like the city bus. Wait, and another will come along.

If you are lucky you will find a nice woman who has an open mind. Relationships are all about respect.

I use to date a woman who could melt the wax off a dixie cup at fifty feet.
She was smart, and a pure pleasure to be around. However, she would go on a terrible liberal rant if she saw anything firearm related at my place. It was among many reasons we were not to be.

Better now than later.....

It's better that you discovered this now than later if you had continued in a relationship. When my wife and I got married almost 46 years ago she knew nothing about guns. Her parents were of the opinion that guns were not something girls had anything to do with. I started teaching her how to shoot and handle guns. Now she can handle any gun I have and has gotten her CCW permit. Guns are important to me, therefore she has taken the same position.

Better to find out now rather than later, when the relationship could have been much more serious. It could have hurt a lot more.

your better off without her anyways man. especially if she has that kind of mindset. there are plenty of women out there that share the same views as you do.

still sorry that you had to deal with that nonsense.

I agree with others that it is better to find out now than later. The relationship could have led to marriage and that is not the time to find out you are not compatible. That of course goes for more than just the gun issue. Religious beliefs, politics are just a few things that can cause major problems later. Never make the mistake that major differences can be worked out later after you are married.

I agree with others that it is better to find out now than later. The relationship could have led to marriage and that is not the time to find out you are not compatible. That of course goes for more than just the gun issue. Religious beliefs, politics are just a few things that can cause major problems later. Never make the mistake that major differences can be worked out later after you are married.
HK, do you and the little woman have nightly bible study?

Guns & Women

Better to find out her views now than later! Disagrements over guns, kids, money, jobs, houses, locations are always bad for relationships.

As a psychiatrist once said: "You can be happy with thousands...but not at the same time..."

:biggrin:

Ive been with my Fiance now for almost 2 1/2 years. Shes not for guns, then again, shes not really against them. She doesnt care that I OC in the house, or even CC when in public, its just something she doesnt care about. But for some odd reason, she refuses to shoot anything, even a .22
Im sorry to hear you and your woman broke up, but someone will come along who isnt against your beliefs, and if she is against some of your beliefs, maybe she wont go on some Liberal rant that guns = bad = murder= jail.
You have rights, and so does everyone else, everyone has different views as well. Just gotta live and learn. I found out the hard way as well...Hard enough living with a Liberal [who I must say sadly voted for Obama -.-' ] Oh well.
Good luck bra.

She hasn't ben my girlfriend for a very long time, we have ben marryed 37+ years, before we moved south 26 years ago, guns were not really a issue, upstate NY is not gun friendly country, I had a couple of long guns, I did a little hunting, but handguns were not possable there, you had to be a cop or something close to carry one, in all those years she never said yes or no to haveing guns, about a year ago we got our CCW permits started going to the range, a lot at first, now it tapered off a bit but she still likes to go and waste paper and bullits, :girl_wink:

I think JJFlash summed it up pretty well... "love me, love my guns.."
And the IceMan has a good point, although from my side, men are like city buses :biggrin:

In any case, if your core beliefs don't coincide with a potential mate's, that's a deal breaker IMO.

I've known guys who weren't "into guns" when I met them, and it didn't take long before we were going to the range together and having a great time.

So best of luck to you in the future and stay safe!

What you seemed to learn was actually that she was close-minded. If she loved you, the least she would have done was listen to your side. And after that, if she still couldn't agree, then that would be a different story. People can disagree with each other and still get along, UNLESS either one or both of them are stubborn.

As far as I'm concerned, my self-defense and that of my loved ones says a lot about how much I care. I would give my life for someone I loved. And if that is too much for someone to understand, then they are probably too thin-skinned to have a relationship with.

Funny, but my wife really doesn't like the sight of my guns, but she wouldn't have me leave our house without them. She was threatened with a gun when she was younger, so I understand her phobia. But she also understands me, and that is what counts.

Find someone else who is at least willing to have a sensible conversation about your "hobby" and if she won't, find someone else.

I am sorry for your loss,however it seems to me,you are in an AWESOME postion in life...college grad,young...man,the world is about to open way up for you.It seems to me,a person MUST stand by his/hers morals,core believes,ethics. At the same time,they evolve and become more concrete. My right to self defence is without a doubt,a non-debatable issue. NO woman will ever "make" me give that up,either by urging me to not carry,or,by giving up my weapons.It is my thinking also,that for any relationship to be successfull,both partners must be of the same moral,ethical,political and religious footing. Now,dont' get me wrong,it isn't carved in stone,any of this things,but,again,in my opinion,it sure does help.Take care and keep heart!

Like I said before [in so many words] I applaud you for standing by your beliefs. Those are most important aside from his/her family. My beliefs are my core, theyre who I am. I believe what I believe for a reason, as is for many. But sometimes, sadly Democratic views are thrown into every meal they eat, and they wont budge from the small minded thinking. Some people believe that weapons are the cause for problems here in America, but look at countries with out them, theyre falling apart, and crime is much more common.
If she wouldnt see past the iron on your hip, she wasnt worth it. Its not like you ever pointed it at her, or threatened with it...If my Fiance had a CCW and I didnt, Id feel much safer with her than with out any weapon at all. Either way, you made a good choice, got alot going for you from the sounds of it.
Good luck with the road ahead of you. Wish you luck on the next one.
Remember looking for women are like shopping for cars, you just know when you see her, shes the one you want, and the one you cant be without. Everything else is second.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back