I dropped my handgun in the stall

That is always a fond memory for me also. Never dropped mine in the service but felt sorry for those poor SOBs who did. When I am in a public restroom I am always mindful of a temporary resting place for my weapon and if there is none I keep it in one hand or another....I know that sounds hard but it is better than dropping it.

Had a PFC in Iraq who went to the latrine and forgot and left his rifle in the shitter. Someone found it and they traced it back to him. For the next two weeks he had a big ass heavy log chain about 4 feet long padlocked around his waist and the other end of the chain padlocked to the M-16 24 hours a day. Chain must've weighed 20 pounds.

PFC QUINTON MANN - You reading this? LOL

We had PFC leave his M16 A-2 leaning up on a tree in the woods of Baumholder Germany while on a 60 day field exercise/range quailifications. It was the day before we were due to head back to the unit. Needless to say we ended up staying there and extra 4 days searching the woods till we found it, right where he left it. Next to a big pile of crap. His punishment from the command was nothing compared to the punishment he recieived from his platoon the week we returned! When we finally deployed to Iraq, Desert Storm, I put him at a retrans station on top of a mountain so he could not cause us anymore problems. He called in a Radio call of incoming at noon one afternoon, that was when the EOD units blew-up all the unexploded ords collected around our area of operation. He was sent back to germany ahead of the most of us....and we all were relieved. LOL..Just a couple of examples of this PFC's goof-ups. While he was waiting on his ride back to Turkey we had him in charge of the Kurds we had burning the Kaka in the drums from the latrines.

PFC Rodriguez hope you had success in your civilian career!!

Mac

I always go to the last stall of handicap by the wall, so no one can look at my firearm at the right side holster.

Either I can put a belt lock into one hole, so my pant can hold up and hang up on my leg/knee that way the firearm will not fall on the floor.

While my present budget does not allow me to buy any new concealment vests, I have a number of 5.11 Tactical shirts that I often wear to work. The concealed "document pockets" beneath the regular pockets will do fine to temporarily hold a pistol, even a fairly large one. Not really holsters, but they'll hold it while your pants are down.

I had the same thing happen at Krogers - but no one was there but me, scared the crap out me. I had a Uncle Mike's #5
IWB. I changed, and made my own holster, similar to the crossbreed, and with the snap in of the kydex material, there is
no worry with ever having it fall out again! I must say it did add a foul smell to the bathroom!

With the revolver I carry, I slip it in my pocket while in private, and then when I've finished my "business" and everything is back in place, I put it back in its home.

Did the OP ever state what holster he was using?

I have carried for years and never had a close call with a high quality boned leather holster, and I don't use types with retention straps.

All of my carry holsters, OC or CC are from Mitch Rosen or Sparks, I could do hand stands and cartwheels and the gun would not leave the holster. I guess I just don't understand the problem.

Steve

Sorry for your experience. Did you damage the weapon after dropping it on what I assume to be a hard floor? In my 40 plus years of shooting and 26 as a police officer, I dropped a gun twice. A S&W model 64 was one of my mistakes. As a result, the 64 developed a kink in the action. The other, a Ruger SP101. The 101 simply had a slight ding on the cylinder which was polished out.
Guns survive being thrown and dropped much better in the movies than they do in real life.

I just want to know when bathroom (Public & businesses) engineers are going to design walls and doors that go all the way to the floor, why does the general public still have to put up with half private stalls any way?...

First thing I thought was that it was lucky it didn't land in the toilet - adding insult to injury :laugh:

I just want to know when bathroom (Public & businesses) engineers are going to design walls and doors that go all the way to the floor, why does the general public still have to put up with half private stalls any way?...

Well said, I never understood that either. And maybe a rack for your sidearm while your taking care of business.:biggrin:

Guess I'll add my 2 cents worth. If I'm carrying my Kahr MK-9, and wearing my cargo shorts, then the front pocket is large enough for pocket carry...along with a pocket holster. Then I've no problem just walking up and doing my business even if there are people standing right next to me at the urinal. However, if I'm carrying my Kimber I use either an IWB or sometimes a OWB holster...can't stand there next to anyone. So, I head to the handicapped stall as far back as I can..next to the wall and once inside, remove the Kimber and set it very quietly on the metal housing for the TP. It's nice and flat no risk of it falling off. Once done, Kimber goes right back in the holster and away I go.

Sometimes if there is a handicap rail in the stall and the toiler paper dispenser under the rail i can neatly place my firearm in the gap there. I have done this before with or without my Supertuck deluxe.

Also if there is a toiler set cover dispenser, you can place the firearm in there usually if your really worried about someone seeing it, usually my full sized S&W fits in there just fine with the holster.

If i am in the right stall and keep my pants knee level no one can see it unless the door is higher than normal.

Its all about stall selection and what they have in there.

They should start putting a gun rest or some sort of table in all stalls

(pistol by trigger guard is safe).

I'm not sure about that one. A few years back (at least 10-15) there was an column in "Guns and Ammo" written by an ex-LEO that described an incident he was familiar with. Here it is to the best of my recollection...

He was with a group on a raid. One of the other LEOs with him carried a 1911 on these type of calls and preferred to carry it condition 1 in the back of his jeans without a holster. During the raid he thought he was going to have to shoot one of the "black hats." He drew the 1911 and snapped off the safety. Well, the BG surrendered and so he re-waistbanded the weapon (for extra credit, what did he fail to do?).

Anyway, back at the station this LEO had to use the restroom. He goes in the stall and hangs the 1911 (condition 0 at this point) on the hook. He handles business and pulls his pants up. When he goes to retrieve the 1911 he grasps it in such a way that the grip safety is depressed. He then lifts the gun and...

BOOM!!!

The gun the recoils and in the struggle between the weapon recoiling and his trying to gain control...

BOOM!!!

[there may have been even more shots fired]

He placed two holes in the ceiling. Fortunately no one was hurt except for the LEO, and it was only his pride and dignity.

Ever since I read that I do NOT put the gun on the hook (especially since I carry a Kahr with a loaded chamber and no safety). I leave it in the holster (Tagula OWB). Not to mention there is the possibility of forgetting the gun. I try to keep my pants up around my knees or, if I need to secure the weapon I place it in my underwear.

Good story about using the hook (and not engaging the thumb safety).

I've never carried in a way that didn't let me keep it pretty well out of sight while standing at a urinal.

If I have to sit - well, I admit I've used a hook right on the door in front of me - but most often probably just drop trousers and underpants, then drop the Kimber in the underpants while doing business. Really hard to forget it there....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back