I Am NOT a Sheep Dog

Treo

Bullet Proof

Could not have said it better myself

There's a lot of wisdom in what you are saying. As you were talking about not really having all of the details of a shooting, I immediately imagined a shootout between a grungy looking undercover police officer and a well dressed criminal. Maybe I've seen too many movies, I don't know. But the point is, you're right. As citizens, we don't necessarily know the facts.

Why do people make these stupid videos. Need attention? I just don't get it. Carry if you want, do it for your own reasons, don't tell everyone about it, and get on with your life. Annoying.

Well said. WTSHTF one can really only focus on himself and or loved ones. We can't take the attack to the BG but need to stay sharp on our goal of getting our loved ones out safe and sound. I like the phrase "Sheep Dog" but when it comes to actually being someone else's protector that was really their responsibility. I may be more observant but I have to remain focused on mine. Others need to take maybe a cue from my responding actions but I can't stop and coddle them.
Great piece of work!

Why do people make these stupid videos. Need attention? I just don't get it. Carry if you want, do it for your own reasons, don't tell everyone about it, and get on with your life. Annoying.

Kind of like you pretending to own guns and posting on an internet gun board, eh bunky?

Well if your going to reference the analogy you have to be one of 3 things a sheep, a sheepdog, or a wolf. So which one are you?? I mean really is everyone so afraid of this analogy that Lt. Col Grossman laid out that just because some Mall Ninjas have bastardized the meaning of sheepdog! Being a sheepdog does not mean your going to intervene at great risk to yourself in the case of a shooting. It means that you are going to protect "YOUR FLOCK". What constitutes my flock? All of humanity when I am out shopping? Nope. It means for me my wife and myself when we are out and about. Or my Immediate family when we are out. Would I willingly lay down my life to protect them. YES! Would I lay down my life for the clerk behind the register at the local shop and rob? No Would I intervene? Maybe but only after weighing the likelihood that the current threat could later pose a threat to me, and whether I have the advantage as things are currently laid out.

Sorry I went off on a rant but I just get sick of all the "I am not a sheepdog" stuff from people who carry a gun precisely because they are a sheepdog, and not a Mall Ninja, if they were to accurately reference Lt. Col. Grossmans essay.

For those of you unfamiliar with the person who is actually in the video (rather than Treo, the person who started the thread), I suggest you read Vuurwapenblog.com. Andrew is a knowledgeable combat veteran Corpsman who has been posting reviews on his blog and YouTube for quite some time now. While I agree with him on some points and disagree with him on others, I respect his opinion and always look to learn something from him.

~OtisM~, kudos for remaining the total douchemonkey that we all have come to rely upon.

For those of you unfamiliar with the person who is actually in the video (rather than Treo, the person who started the thread), I suggest you read Vuurwapenblog.com. Andrew is a knowledgeable combat veteran Corpsman who has been posting reviews on his blog and YouTube for quite some time now. While I agree with him on some points and disagree with him on others, I respect his opinion and always look to learn something from him.

~OtisM~, kudos for remaining the total douchemonkey that we all have come to rely upon.

Did you all catch the bolded part? That isn't me in the video.

C'mon his hair isn't even purple

I am not a sheep for I do not mill around with the flock with my attention on fitting in with the flock.

I am not a wolf for I do not prey on the sheep.

I am not a sheepdog for I do not have the responsibility to protect the sheep... nor do I have any desire to fight the wolf.

I am a stray dog... I am warily friendly to the sheep and I avoid the wolf as I fend for myself yet I will fiercely fight to protect those I love... from both wolf and sheep.

The word "sheepdog" sounds so nice and noble... to be someone who protects the weak and innocent... but the truth is... it is the "sheepdogs" job and responsibility to protect the flock but it is not my job or responsibility to protect other citizens just because I carry a gun. Let them get their own damn gun. I can choose to protect other citizens because of my individual morals and ethics... but I am not obligated to... it still isn't my job or responsibility... hence I am not a "sheepdog".

Well if your going to reference the analogy you have to be one of 3 things a sheep, a sheepdog, or a wolf. So which one are you?? I mean really is everyone so afraid of this analogy that Lt. Col Grossman laid out that just because some Mall Ninjas have bastardized the meaning of sheepdog! Being a sheepdog does not mean your going to intervene at great risk to yourself in the case of a shooting. It means that you are going to protect "YOUR FLOCK". What constitutes my flock? All of humanity when I am out shopping? Nope. It means for me my wife and myself when we are out and about. Or my Immediate family when we are out. Would I willingly lay down my life to protect them. YES! Would I lay down my life for the clerk behind the register at the local shop and rob? No Would I intervene? Maybe but only after weighing the likelihood that the current threat could later pose a threat to me, and whether I have the advantage as things are currently laid out.

Sorry I went off on a rant but I just get sick of all the "I am not a sheepdog" stuff from people who carry a gun precisely because they are a sheepdog, and not a Mall Ninja, if they were to accurately reference Lt. Col. Grossmans essay.

Precisely.............

Why do you post on the internet? Need attention? Carry if you want, do it for your own reasons, don't post about it on the internet, and get on with your life. What was that you said about "annoying"?

end sarcasm

Why does Otis make stupid comments ? He's butt hurt in his moms basement? I think I get it. His mom won't let him own a gun. He just wants to try and be annoying.

I am not a sheep for I do not mill around with the flock with my attention on fitting in with the flock.

I am not a wolf for I do not prey on the sheep.

I am not a sheepdog for I do not have the responsibility to protect the sheep... nor do I have any desire to fight the wolf.

I am a stray dog... I am warily friendly to the sheep and I avoid the wolf as I fend for myself yet I will fiercely fight to protect those I love... from both wolf and sheep.

The word "sheepdog" sounds so nice and noble... to be someone who protects the weak and innocent... but the truth is... it is the "sheepdogs" job and responsibility to protect the flock but it is not my job or responsibility to protect other citizens just because I carry a gun. Let them get their own damn gun. I can choose to protect other citizens because of my individual morals and ethics... but I am not obligated to... it still isn't my job or responsibility... hence I am not a "sheepdog".

This says it right IMHO!

I teach basically the same thing in my Carry Classes. Oklahoma law defines who we can protect and tells us that we run a great risk when we "step into some other persons shoes" in a self defense situation.

The video is very well done.

I am a retired sheepdog by Lt Col Grossman's standards. I protect myself and my family, first and foremost. I have no qualms about being a good witness when it is not my fight, but threaten my family and you will find my teeth...fangs out!

I'm not a sheep, wolf, or a sheepdog either. I'd consider myself a Honey Badger. Quiet, unassuming, going about my business. But mess with me and I'll turn mean. I. Will. Ruin. Your. Day!

twilightzone-scary.gif

Yep! I have to agree with what he said................=-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back