How to get started on multi-state CCW

MrPatrick

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here. I want to be certified to get my CCW in as many states as possible.

I live in California, so that isn't happening here just yet, but with any luck on state reciprocity in the coming months/years, I'd like to be prepared asap.

Front Sight in Pahrump Nevada offers a 2 day or 4 day handgun course, followed by the 30 state CCW course and certification on the 5th day. The only problem is I don't have time to spend 5 days in Nevada to get this done.

I'm adept with handguns, well trained, and an exceptionally good shot. So I'd like to believe (hoping) I don't need to take the basic handgun courses.

FIRST QUESTION:
Can anyone suggest a place I can go to here in California to get the CCW certification? Or, a place I can go to in NV, to ONLY take the CCW certification course, without the 2 or 4 day handgun course?

SECOND QUESTION:
Once I have the CCW certification course under my belt, what state do I apply in to get the remaining 29 state reciprocity?

I can't believe these answers aren't online, but I can't find them, even here on USA Carry! I can't be the only one asking...

Thank you for your help!

FIRST QUESTION:
Can anyone suggest a place I can go to here in California to get the CCW certification?

California CCW Licensing questions and answers: https://www.usacarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/california_ccw_app.pdf

SECOND QUESTION:
Once I have the CCW certification course under my belt, what state do I apply in to get the remaining 29 state reciprocity?

I can't believe these answers aren't online...

They are. Here's a CC reciprocity map (and a very good one!): https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

You'll want to pick a state that both allows you to get your CC permit there as well as is honored by all the other states in which you intend to travel.

Note: Back when I traveled a LOT via car (driven through 46 of the 48 CONUS), I simply carried ammo in one locked container and my unloaded firearm in it's original case with a lock on it, with the ammunition in the body of the car and the firearm in the trunk. That may not pass perfect muster in all 50 states, but it was good enough to get me safely from point to point, whereupon I'd reload once in the hotel and order out for pizza.

Thank you for the information!!!

I did see the USACarry state reciprocity map previously, but I didn't understand how to use it in relation to what state I "should" apply in as a non-resident.

In relation to the first link you sent, I read through all the "requirements", which was informative. But I was hoping someone would have a list of CA training centers I could pay for a course at, to get the certification certificate that says I completed the necessary course(s). Then, I'd take that certificate with me to NV/AZ/UT to get the CCW issued (multi-state).

I just Googled "list of California CCW training classes" and a bunch popped up, some local, so I'm all set. Thank you very kindly for replying back to me.

MrPatrick,

What part of the state do you live in? I ask because I have a cousin who lives in San Pedro who just got a permit from AZ. I can look back through his emails and figure out what classes he had to take, but I am 99.9% sure that he dealt with AZ solely through the mail and didn't have to leave CA to complete the process. He's 70 years old and had never fired a handgun in his life when he started the process. Not sure he ever shot one during the process either, but I can check, along with checking on which certification company he used if you're in the SoCal part of the state and could benefit from knowing that info. I know he had to submit fingerprints (to AZ), but not sure whether it was a private or government entity that he used to get them.

My cousin went through the process for the same reason you are, in anticipation of national reciprocity passing. I'll tell you the same thing I told him; national reciprocity passage will sooner or later inure to the defacto repeal of the Second Amendment. It is not a good thing for gun owners or carriers. It's a Trojan Horse that puts the federal government in control of carry issues (at least) under the auspices of the Interstate Commerce Clause. The Second Amendment is paid only lip-service, while the language of the bill clearly puts the Commerce Clause in control of how it is implemented. Getting an out-of-state permit that will allow you to carry in several states is a great idea separate and apart from any national reciprocity considerations, so go for it. But please search this site (and anywhere else where all sides of a given issue are allowed to be expressed) on the word "reciprocity" and set the search to bring up threads (instead of posts). You will see many threads going back as far as the earliest iterations of the federal bills dealing with nationwide reciprocity. Every thread I've ever seen on it had at least one of the well-informed opposers of Commerce Clause-based bills articulating why they opposed it. When I clicked on this thread just now, one of those threads was directly under it.

Otherwise, good luck in achieving the defeat of CA gun grabbers. I was there in 1982 when we defeated Prop 15. As far as I know, it was the last success pro-Second Amendment people in CA can point to. We left the state for good 10 years later, and the more or less minor gun control that had passed in the interim was a big part of that decision. Since we left, registration and bans have been the order of the day. I seriously doubt CA government will willingly comply with national reciprocity. They will fight it in court, likely ending up at SCOTUS, where they will likely rule the mandate of reciprocity unconstitutional, giving back to CA and the other states that will surely join the suit, the authority to trample on your rights with impunity, but leave the issue forever-ensconced within Commerce Clause jurisprudence, effectively making the 2A meaningless. You will have just as good a chance of getting CA to become pro-2A as you would of repealing the Commerce Clause authorities to regulate of the federal government, which is to say in both cases, zero chance.

Careful what you wish for.....

Still, I'm happy to share my cousin's experiences in getting an out-of-state permit if you can use the info to your benefit.

Blues

MrPatrick,

What part of the state do you live in? I ask because I have a cousin who lives in San Pedro who just got a permit from AZ. I can look back through his emails and figure out what classes he had to take, but I am 99.9% sure that he dealt with AZ solely through the mail and didn't have to leave CA to complete the process. He's 70 years old and had never fired a handgun in his life when he started the process. Not sure he ever shot one during the process either, but I can check, along with checking on which certification company he used if you're in the SoCal part of the state and could benefit from knowing that info. I know he had to submit fingerprints (to AZ), but not sure whether it was a private or government entity that he used to get them.

My cousin went through the process for the same reason you are, in anticipation of national reciprocity passing. I'll tell you the same thing I told him; national reciprocity passage will sooner or later inure to the defacto repeal of the Second Amendment. It is not a good thing for gun owners or carriers. It's a Trojan Horse that puts the federal government in control of carry issues (at least) under the auspices of the Interstate Commerce Clause. The Second Amendment is paid only lip-service, while the language of the bill clearly puts the Commerce Clause in control of how it is implemented. Getting an out-of-state permit that will allow you to carry in several states is a great idea separate and apart from any national reciprocity considerations, so go for it. But please search this site (and anywhere else where all sides of a given issue are allowed to be expressed) on the word "reciprocity" and set the search to bring up threads (instead of posts). You will see many threads going back as far as the earliest iterations of the federal bills dealing with nationwide reciprocity. Every thread I've ever seen on it had at least one of the well-informed opposers of Commerce Clause-based bills articulating why they opposed it. When I clicked on this thread just now, one of those threads was directly under it.

Otherwise, good luck in achieving the defeat of CA gun grabbers. I was there in 1982 when we defeated Prop 15. As far as I know, it was the last success pro-Second Amendment people in CA can point to. We left the state for good 10 years later, and the more or less minor gun control that had passed in the interim was a big part of that decision. Since we left, registration and bans have been the order of the day. I seriously doubt CA government will willingly comply with national reciprocity. They will fight it in court, likely ending up at SCOTUS, where they will likely rule the mandate of reciprocity unconstitutional, giving back to CA and the other states that will surely join the suit, the authority to trample on your rights with impunity, but leave the issue forever-ensconced within Commerce Clause jurisprudence, effectively making the 2A meaningless. You will have just as good a chance of getting CA to become pro-2A as you would of repealing the Commerce Clause authorities to regulate of the federal government, which is to say in both cases, zero chance.

Careful what you wish for.....

Still, I'm happy to share my cousin's experiences in getting an out-of-state permit if you can use the info to your benefit.

Blues
Its only gotten worse and have a friend who said you can only buy ammo from a dealer in California as of 1 January 2018, you are not allowed to bring any ammo into the state from another state, and in 2019 you will have to undergo a background check to buy ammunition. They're going after the ammo to do away with firearms in the state.

You and I have said this on here before but what a great state it was and what a collosal fall to the bottom they're working on. They are augering in and nothing can stop it now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Link Removed

Its only gotten worse and have a friend who said you can only buy ammo from a dealer in California as of 1 January 2018, you are not allowed to bring any ammo into the state from another state, and in 2019 you will have to undergo a background check to buy ammunition. They're going after the ammo to do away with firearms in the state.

You and I have said this on here before but what a great state it was and what a collosal fall to the bottom they're working on. They are augering in and nothing can stop it now.

Hey, I was trying to stay relatively positive for a self-described newbie. When I told my cousin that he wouldn't even need a permission slip at all if he just moved to AZ, he's been getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger (no pun intended) on that move ever since. I knew about the ammo restrictions, or at least knew there were new ones starting this year, and that relatively minor fact alone should be enough to expose the crash-dive into the Second Amendment abyss CA has committed its citizens to for perpetuity, but the more they look into getting "papered" in other, slightly freer states, the more likely it will be that those who consider the defense of their rights by their state governments will simply move to where those rights are being better-respected.

I really quit worrying about CA gun control laws the same day I decided that they had succeeded in pushing me out of my home-state with those same laws. I pretty much only ever reference being from CA anymore as a way to validate that I have personal experience in dealing with its tyrannical government. Otherwise, my bottom-line message is always that freedom-lovers should vote with their feet and wallets. Starve the beast. Just plantin' seeds over here, Bro, just plantin' seeds...

Blues

Hey, I was trying to stay relatively positive for a self-described newbie. When I told my cousin that he wouldn't even need a permission slip at all if he just moved to AZ, he's been getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger (no pun intended) on that move ever since. I knew about the ammo restrictions, or at least knew there were new ones starting this year, and that relatively minor fact alone should be enough to expose the crash-dive into the Second Amendment abyss CA has committed its citizens to for perpetuity, but the more they look into getting "papered" in other, slightly freer states, the more likely it will be that those who consider the defense of their rights by their state governments will simply move to where those rights are being better-respected.

I really quit worrying about CA gun control laws the same day I decided that they had succeeded in pushing me out of my home-state with those same laws. I pretty much only ever reference being from CA anymore as a way to validate that I have personal experience in dealing with its tyrannical government. Otherwise, my bottom-line message is always that freedom-lovers should vote with their feet and wallets. Starve the beast. Just plantin' seeds over here, Bro, just plantin' seeds...

Blues
Yep. Pretty awful out there for freedom lovers regardless of political affiliation and I'm pretty happy I pulled chocks when I did. People I know are just leaving. Very few hangers on and most are heading to red states. California is getting bluer by the day and they'll get theirs in the end and it will have little to do with 2A. They are killing their citizens with taxes and they are hostile to businesses.

The 2A is already dead there for all practical purposes. If you can only buy ammo from in state dealers then the net result will be exorbitant ammo prices to the common man. Supply and demand rules and CA knew that when they passed the legislation. They'll know they've done what they set out to do when all the LGS start going under.

My permit is honored in 38 states, probably one of the widest accepted carry permits. Of the 12 states that do not honor my permit (or for that matter, any other out of state permit), I have no intention of ever setting foot in that state, including your state.

Mr. Patrick, I am I live in the city of Tustin California, in orange county, I have a CCW for the state of California, Arizona, and Utah First question I have from you is can you pass a background check, if you can’t you’re wasting your time even for a non-residential permit?

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I just received my California CCW in today's mail, so getting a CCW here is not impossible if you have a pro 2A Sheriff or Police Chief.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back