How to Determine Best Pistol for Concealed Carry as First Purchase

mwhals

What is the best way to determine the preferred weapon to carry without spending a boat load for several at once? I know I can shoot Dad's guns to determine the caliber I like best. From past experience, it is a 357. I do not expect that I will be able to borrow guns to practice carrying them. As a result, how would I know what is comfortable and what is not after I choose the caliber I am most comfortable shooting.

Someone did try to break into our house last year unsuccessfully while we were home. I know what to use in the house as the 12 gauge pump action shotgun strikes enough fear you may see them running without having to even fire a shot as would be the case with the punks that tried to break into our house. I am mainly questioning the selection of one to carry as a concealed weapon. I currently have no pistols at this time, but plan to get a 357 even if it isn't my carry weapon, a 45 (another favorite) and the weapon I carry if it is not one of those. I may like the 357 and 45, but that doesn't mean they would be the best for me personally as a carry weapon.

Thanks,

Mark

General rule of thumb... the smaller the gun is, the easier and more comfortable it is to carry. Shooting the little ones, on the other hand...

I wouldn't worry too much about comfort; a good holster will deal with that for the most part (mine do, anyway). You'll see it recommended a thousand times on this forum... go to a range and rent the guns you're interested in. Even knowing what caliber you like might not help... that .357 in a super light gun might not be so fun to shoot!

When I was looking for a second carry gun (revolver is kind of bulky to hide in the summer for me), I went to a range and asked for all of their sub-compacts to try. Talk about a fun day!

Also, I'm 5'9" and 120 lbs... bony. If I can find comfortable ways to carry, anyone can!

I am 6'1 and around 198 pounds working back toward my ideal weight of 170 to 175 pounds, so my frame is not huge either.

The only way to come to a conclusion is to go to a range and test them. Everyone has their preferences and everyone's different. Try 'em and do what's best for you.

This is an extremely subjective thing. Best advice is to where you can rent a variety of firearms and try them out. What fits your hand the best? What are you most comfortable carrying and handling?

The only way to come to a conclusion is to go to a range and test them. Everyone has their preferences and everyone's different. Try 'em and do what's best for you.

That's exactly what I did. They did not charge extra to try several in the same caliber. I tried out 5 and chose the Glock 19 Gen4. Then looked for something for the woods and chose a Glock G21SF. The G19 can be carried IWB or OWB. The G21SF I carry OWB.

Sent from my iPad using Link Removed

Does IWB mean inside waist belt and OWB mean outside waist belt? I am not familiar with the abbreviations.

The problem with renting is I am not sure if any have that service around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Does IWB mean inside waste belt and OWB mean outside waist belt? I am not familiar with the abbreviations.

The problem with renting is I am not sure if any have that service around me.

Yes it does.

With IWB pants need to be one size larger unless you are already wearing them loose. With full size Glocks I carry OWB or in a shoulder holster. The G19 also fits in a chest holster such as the Air Marshall 3 by Kangaroo Carry.

My problem is I always wear dress shirts tucked into my pants. Not sure best way to conceal carry like that.

My problem is I always wear dress shirts tucked into my pants. Not sure best way to conceal carry like that.

Then you will need a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB. That is the one I use when wearing dress shirts.

9asa7e6a.jpg

Then you will need a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB. That is the one I use when wearing dress shirts.

9asa7e6a.jpg

Sounds good. I guess I will need to buy one size larger pants or lose weight. Correct?

I suppose. Outside I wear flannel or hunting shirts as a cover garment.

Or did what I do. Appendix or pocket carry. But only small guns really work

The question was more or less a gun for home defense. .. Or is this a concealed carry need too ?

A carbine or shotgun would not work where I live. Too many sharp corners and narrow hallways. So I would suggest waking around with a shotgun length broomstick and see if it will work for you as shotguns work very well and don't take as much training to shoot well.

If it's a home defense only gun and you wish a Hangun go big. Glock 17 or similar in 9mm, .40 or .45. Just get one that allows a rail for a small light. IMO they are easier to use than a flashlight if you are new at it.

Lighten Up Francis.

I am actually looking for concealed carry. The home defense will be primarily by 12 gauge shotgun and a .45 pistol.

Ok got it. You mentioned that you tuck your shirts in. So look at tuckable holsters , some of my favorites are the N82 tactical behind your hip or I really like the high noon single clip alter ego. They make great holsters for not a lot of $$.

Personally I am not a fan of the really wide 2 clip holsters. I find them hot and pain to put on and take off. They are pretty comfortable however. If you want a smallish gun in the big boy calibers there are only 2 I would look at. The shield in 9mm or .40 and the XDs in 9mm or 45. Of the bigger guns they are they're best I have had for CC. High Noon makes some sweet holsters that ride high or low as well based on the model. Low riders are nice for tucked shirts and CC. Even more so with for myself 15* of forward cant.

In my case I work in a place with business dress. Suit and tie Fridays are casual. So I went to pocket or appendix carry, as even with a fitted dress shirt you look your best.

Go Seahawks!

Thanks. I dress for work, but no firearms permitted. When not at work, I don't tuck and wear sweatshirts and sweaters a lot in winter, so easy to conceal. I also dress to teach a college class, but no firearms again. I am permitted to have the gun locked up in a vehicle in the parking lot. For this reason, I posted the thread about Console Vaults and Locker Down Console Safes.

A range that rents various/the most popular hand guns. There are many such ranges around.

Or come to AZ and we can go to Ben Avery Shooting Range and shoot some of mine.

I carry my XDs .45 in a Crossbreed Mini and can wear a dress shirt with no problem, the one thing that the CB let you tuck you shirt with no problem.

Thanks, those slacks look like a good idea for when I am not wearing jeans.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back