How to correct low shooting

burchesss

A littel over 2 years ago my wife and I took a pistol class and got our CHPs. At the class She easily out shoot me and my ruger .45 (using the instructer's 1911 22lr). After. some serching She picked the taurus millinium pro 9mm. Let me admit that I do not practice enough, and I shoot more often. She is shooting very low ( off paper or even in dirt) I assume she is "breaking her wrist" in anticipation of the recoll. Could dry practice correct this? of will the sub concious mind revert back when it knows the gun is loaded? I tend to shoot the taurus a little low, (as I have read others) whitch I blame on the point of aim diferances with the Henie strait 8 sights but In her case I think it is too low to blame on the gun. Would you recomend any good reasonabley priced 22lr pistols prefreaboly in a double action only that would compare to her 9mm?

A littel over 2 years ago my wife and I took a pistol class and got our CHPs. At the class She easily out shoot me and my ruger .45 (using the instructer's 1911 22lr). After. some serching She picked the taurus millinium pro 9mm. Let me admit that I do not practice enough, and I shoot more often. She is shooting very low ( off paper or even in dirt) I assume she is "breaking her wrist" in anticipation of the recoll. Could dry practice correct this? of will the sub concious mind revert back when it knows the gun is loaded? I tend to shoot the taurus a little low, (as I have read others) whitch I blame on the point of aim diferances with the Henie strait 8 sights but In her case I think it is too low to blame on the gun. Would you recomend any good reasonabley priced 22lr pistols prefreaboly in a double action only that would compare to her 9mm?
The problem is, it is a Taurus. Just kidding.
Try this link.How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85
Pistol shooting 101.

Burchesss, as a firearms instructor I see this all the time. Most of the time it is the anticipation of the gun going off. You could load dummy rounds into her mag (without her knowing) and see if she anticipates the recoil of the shot. If she does you will see the muzzle of the Taurus dip when she pulls the trigger. I have a new officer that came to us from another agency and she was doing this due to the longer trigger pull of our duty weapon versus the Glock. After some trigger time she corrected this problem and has been fine ever since.

Yes, dry fire can help, but the best way to correct this is to have her shoot the gun. The more practice she gets she will become more confident and accustomed to the recoil. You have to encourage her and stick with it. Don't let her get down. If you are having problems helping her send her to an instructor to help. Women never listen to their husbands and vice versa. I have my buddies work with my wife and other instructors I trust. It just works better that way. Good luck.

Burchesss, as a firearms instructor I see this all the time. Most of the time it is the anticipation of the gun going off. You could load dummy rounds into her mag (without her knowing) and see if she anticipates the recoil of the shot. If she does you will see the muzzle of the Taurus dip when she pulls the trigger. I have a new officer that came to us from another agency and she was doing this due to the longer trigger pull of our duty weapon versus the Glock. After some trigger time she corrected this problem and has been fine ever since.

Yes, dry fire can help, but the best way to correct this is to have her shoot the gun. The more practice she gets she will become more confident and accustomed to the recoil. You have to encourage her and stick with it. Don't let her get down. If you are having problems helping her send her to an instructor to help. Women never listen to their husbands and vice versa. I have my buddies work with my wife and other instructors I trust. It just works better that way. Good luck.

Excellent piece of advice! I see this a lot when doing recreational shooting. More often than not I end up coaching someone's wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc. and spend a lot of time "fixing" bad habits. Firearms students often do a lot better when not being closely watched by a SO.

As for the shooting problems with the Taurus, if you bought it new, did you fire enough rounds through it to "break it in" as per the instructions in the user's manual. I've picked up a couple of pistols for a really good price because they were shooting "low, high, off, etc". After reading the owner's manual and sending a few boxes of ammo down range, the pistols hit right where I wanted them to. :biggrin: Doing a few "ball & dummy drills" (described by "amrote") where you mix dummy cartridges in with live ammo, often help to diagnose "flinching" or anticipating the recoil. You could have her fire another firearm and see if she's still shooting low.

Good luck, and happy shooting!

gf

Burchess..... Humans obtain most of their sensory input visually, and the brain is quite occupied with that input. I've had great success with having students raise a handgun to shooting position, and simply aiming at the berm, let their eyes drift shut and squeeze off a round. This (in my simple opinion) allows the brain to shut out visual input, and concentrate more on what the trigger finger is actually doing. I ask all my students to imagine that they have an eye-dropper between their trigger finger, and the trigger..... and they're trying to squeeze only one drop out... It's worked great.....

I've had new shooters put 5 rounds in a 6" circle at 15 feet with their eyes shut. Once trigger pull is more proficient, the group sizes will shrink.

Just my two cents......

Try drawing her a diagram of the front/rear sights and proper alignment. If that fails cut them out and have her align them physically. Then work on the other factors. If she ever realizes that she is flinching she can "fix" it herself. At one of our gatherings I took a newbie pistol shooter and had her "snap" shooting a can about 15 feet away while running. It only took about 15 minutes for her to catch on. She had no "bad habits" to break so the teaching was easy. LOL, she never did try shooting behind her back--think she was afraid of shooting her hinny button.

I know it's an added cost, but lasers are great indicators of what happens at trigger pull. If you see the laser drop prior to the shot she is pushing the gun down... I fixed my pull habit on my M&P45 with the laser. They also help reinforce good sight picture when adjusted properly..

Peace...

If the range has some tables to shoot from have her shoot from a rest some. this will keep her from pulling down.
see if she still shoots low. explain to her what she is doing wrong and do some slow shooting with out the rest, with you watching.
remember when you practice bad habits can be burned in to shooting just as easy as good habits. its best to fix the bad habits as fast as possible.
also do you have a camcorder to film her shooting so she can see what it is she is doing?
if she is rolling her wrist down, maybe some kind of wrist splint will help prevent this. I think some bowlers use some kinda
wrist support.
If she is just dropping he arm down have her put her free hand under the elbow of the shooting arm and the elbow of the free hand on her belt line. this stops most of the arm drop.

remember don't push things to hard with her. you want a fun time at the range with her so she will go back.
:pleasantry:

remember don't push things to hard with her. you want a fun time at the range with her so she will go back.
:pleasantry:

She enjoys shooting, and I am pretty good at being supportive, but she gets disapointed in her self and it is not so fun anymore... I thought about shooting worse myself, but she is way too smart for me to get away with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back