How often has someone noticed your conceal?

Warbirds

The thread about the barber noticing the carry made me think. How often and why has someone seen your conceal? In 8 years it has only happened twice. once while camping I used an OWB with a full size pistol and my shirt rode up enough for someone to see. The other I laid down on the floor at my sisters house and my sister saw my IWB. But I think she was looking, she plays a little game trying to catch me carrying.

I think if someone does notice a concealed firearm, you must not be doing it right... 99% of the people don't notice, or at a minimum don't care when I open carry.

I'm the one with the barber story. As far as I know he's the only one so far. Maybe more but I don't really care. I carry with a SERPa and an over shirt. Here in Indiana you can carry however you want and not many people care (LEO's included) so I don't go out of my way to conceal. If its tucked in my waistband under three different shirts for fear of printing I might nott be able to get to it fast enough and that's not something I'm willing to risk. I let the barber see it intentionally because it's my right to carry and if he had a problem with it I would have respected it.

I think if someone does notice a concealed firearm, you must not be doing it right... 99% of the people don't notice, or at a minimum don't care when I open carry.

I think I would add to this, either you are NOT doing it right, OR the person looking either carries or is in law enforcement. (Focused at noticing)

As far as I know (Could there be times when someone doesn't tell you, sure, probably more likely) I've only been ID'ed once. It was by my friend who has seen my gun AND is an ex-Police Officer..
I carry IWB (Tuckable), in my back about 5 O'clock in a left hand holster.. Pretty well concealed but if you "know" what you are looking for, you can figure it out.. (Large metal clip over black belt and slight bulge in pants)

I've also ID'ed two people..
One, was at a Link Removed Dinner Party. He was wearing a Cuban style (square bottom shirt) Harley shirt and the shirt rode up and got caught on the holster exposing his Kydex OWB holster.. I mentioned it to him, (I sat behind him) and he pulled down on his shirt and never looked back at me..

Two, was a HD Street Glide going down the street, again with a shirt (untucked)with the wind flapping it around. He was carrying a SS 1911 in an OWB holster. The barrel kept being exposed as the wind flapped.. It was rush hour traffic and I never got next to him at a light to tell him..

I will tell you that, since I carry, I am usually looking at people, especially at check out counters (What else do I have to do???) to see if I can spot someone carrying..

Never, I keep it concealed. It is not a game to me, it is very serious business with a tool that kills.

Sometimes, I don't wear socks... and I occasionally don't wear underwear either, but it's not something I check others for, and I don't think it's something most people care about for myself. If I need or just want them, they're available to me, just like my gun. That's one of the nice things about a free country, I can do what I want, so long as I don't hurt anybody that doesn't try to hurt me first.

I'm not worthy of replying to some of those here.... So... for the rest.

There have been a number of times when in a crowd someone has bumped into me and i seriously thought "how did you not feel that?" I think that I have gotten to the point that it feels natural enough carrying that I don't find myself doing anything out of the ordinary to protect or conceal my firearm.

I have been made twice that I know of...

This is by far the funniest...

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/13240-funny-true.html

That is pretty funny. Wish I had some pictures of my wife's reactions for you. When we first got together it took her about three weeks to not put her hand on or over my pistol when giving ke a hug. Was priceless.

Other than that my only giveaway is the clip for the holster showing on my belt, and you have to know what that is to know what's on the other side.

I will say when I first started carrying I felt as if everyone knew my secret.

To my knowledge, never.

Of course I'm still trying to figure out how you're aware if somebody sees your pistol or the print of your pistol. Are they supposed to gasp and point?? Are they supposed to shriek?? Panic?? Run away?? Scream "hey, he's got a gun"?? Go to you and tell you that they see your gun?? Do they point, stammer while trying to find the right words, and then faint?? Do they burst into tears upon seeing a gun and then ask for a tissue?? I mean really.....how do you know?? I drove my truck today and as far as I know nobody pointed and screamed "OMG! He's driving a truck!!". Does that mean I'm invisible??

No. It doesn't. It just means that nobody reacted in a way that would be noticeable to me.

B2Tall:239784 said:
No. It doesn't. It just means that nobody reacted in a way that would be noticeable to me.

This is very true, both times I'm aware of they were family or friend which meant they felt free to say something. My gun is fairly large for a compact so I do tend to be careful of what shirt I wear and if I think it is iffy I ask my wife to give me a once over. Luckily I'm not a toothpick and it isn't that difficult to hide the mass.

I'm not worthy of replying to some of those here.... So... for the rest.
I agree..
I guess an apology is in order from myself..
I tried to provide examples and information..

I take carrying seriously, but I guess I have to admit that I'm not perfect, or rich enough to buy all the perfect holsters for the perfect outfits, etc.. OR maybe they just NEVER go outside with other people??

I guess to those that are "perfect" out there, they must have really had to endure my post.. IT must be hard to read many posts where people admit to their imperfections..
Again, I do apologize..

Far as I know never, but I am very careful when carrying. Standing in front yard the other day t-shirt OWB holster gun and two mags talking with wife and neighbor lady, not concealed after about 10 minutes she finally noticed, I think most folks would not ever notice and would bet over half would not notice open carry in passing.

As far as i know, everyone that i have ever come across has never indicated whether they have seen me CC. I am very good about concealing my gun. But here in VT it doesn't matter whether you CC or OC, I do both regularly except for when I'm at work or going to and from work. I am a corrections officer, so i can't have any firearms in my vehicle while on the facility grounds or in the facility. I feel really "naked" during that 25 miles of driving.

I'm sure quite a few have.

I don't worry much about whether it is spotted or not and am likely to pull off my cover garment when working or playing in the summer.

It's not a big deal here, since neither the people or local LEOs are shocked...though a few tourists passing through from California do react now and then.

Never, ever in over 30 years, and I've been carrying a 2nd for backup for the last several years, and still never. Carrying is not a game, it's serious stuff. No one should ever know, till there's no other alternative in a bad situation. Carrying concealed also means to me to stay out of potential trouble scenarios.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back