How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, hindsight will tell you how much was too much. I look at it like this: I always carry several spare mags in my vehicle. For the gun I almost always carry I have around 15 spare full mags total, not all are deployed but enough, and an identical gun as a back up gun. My other two carry pistols share mags also, and I have 6 total. Sometimes I bring an extra On me, sometimes not. I can't plan my entire existence around a perceived threat. Chances are so miniscule that I ever actually need the gun and one full mag in the first place that it seems inconsequential to dictate having a spare 'at all times'.

So when carrying a firearm, either open or concealed, depending on how many rounds your mag holds, what are we trying to be ready for. 1 assailant, a mob, a terrorist attack, all of the above?
So should we carry 1, 2, 3 or more extra mags, a backup gun, 200 extra rounds in the car, a long gun in the trunk. Does it depend on what part of the country you live in?
I am interested in opinions, let me know your thoughts.
To much would be when all the extra loot begins printing and compromises concealability.

How much ammo and how many pistols or long guns are likely to be needed should depend on taking a risk assessment. If going to visit a family member in their home the risk level is likely low but if going to the bad part of town and interacting with the bad people who inhabit that bad part of town then the risk level is likely quite high.

But I find in today's world with terrorists shooting up places that used to be considered low risk my risk assessment now errs on the side of bringing more than I hopefully will need.

Always carry a spare magazine! It is not always about running out of ammunition during a gun fight. Magazine issues are the #1 root cause for malfunctions in semi-automatic firearms. Also, there is: FAST = Fight, Assess, Scan, Top off. Those that have trained know what I am talking about and know why "topping off" is important.
Or just carry a revolver and leave all that tacticool mallninja gear at home :)

Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

Best reply:

"Sir, if the police determined it was the best thing to use to protect people such as myself and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best thing for ME to carry to protect myself and my family."

Interestingly enough I recently read a similar thread on pistol forum.com and in 4 pages the response was monolithic in favor of carrying a spare magazine.

I also noticed that they didn't frame it as carrying more ammunition in case you run out. They framed it as carrying a spare magazine in case of a malfunction.

No one ever said "Why did I bring all this ammo?" after a gun fight. Think about that for a moment.
Sure, but lots of people say "why did I bring all this ammo" after a trip to the grocery store.

The difference is being dead or alive. No one likely dies from bringing a magazine or two, but from leaving spare magazines at home. That's why I added the sentence: "Think about that for a moment."

Or just carry a revolver and leave all that tacticool mallninja gear at home :)

Even with a revolver you would need a few "clips" of ammo with you. In fact, more so because many revolvers only hold 5 to 6 cartridges.

So the issue does not go away with a revolver -- it actually gets worse.

Thank God we can order groceries online and have them delivered. Pretty soon the only reason to leave the house will be to refill the gas tank on the APC.

The difference is being dead or alive. No one likely dies from bringing a magazine or two, but from leaving spare magazines at home. That's why I added the sentence: "Think about that for a moment."
Document an example of a private citizen being killed due to not having an extra mag.

A good observation was made earlier, that in all these self-defence shootings that are posted on this forum, every single one of them was over in 2 shots, and not one of them experienced a magaziene problem.

I think all the hype over carrying reloads are just mall ninjas trying to sell you something and/or get views on their YouTube channel. Prove me wrong.

Mr. "I'm gona start killing people" thinks he has something to say. How cute.

-Cylinders are harder to get out of timing than an auto is to get the slide just out of battery so it won't fire. Cylinders out of timing are corrected in less time than it took you to read this sentence.

-Bad primers and bullets are caused by bad amunition and occure in auto's amunition as well. NATO rifle cartrages have crimped primers for a reason. Buy quality ammo and inspect every round.

-Reloading speed is a matter of practice. Mr Yeager should take a class.

I note he didn't mention how revolvers are far easier to conceal than autos, which is the main reason I carry a revolver instead of an auto.

Mr. "I'm gona start killing people" thinks he has something to say. How cute.

-Cylinders are harder to get out of timing than an auto is to get the slide just out of battery so it won't fire. Cylinders out of timing are corrected in less time than it took you to read this sentence.

-Bad primers and bullets are caused by bad amunition and occure in auto's amunition as well. NATO rifle cartrages have crimped primers for a reason. Buy quality ammo and inspect every round.

-Reloading speed is a matter of practice. Mr Yeager should take a class.

I note he didn't mention how revolvers are far easier to conceal than autos, which is the main reason I carry a revolver instead of an auto.

So, you got nothing. Starting out with an off-topic comment about something that happened years ago and that you apparently still don't understand. Continuing on with a number of statements that are in part irrelevant and in part confirming James' argument.

You won't be able to fix timing or a primer walking out during a gun fight. Revolver malfunctions are catastrophic, semi-auto malfunctions are fixable. I didn't know that you can shoot NATO rifle cartridges out of revolvers.

As or reloading speed, not everyone can reload a revolver as fast as Jerry Miculek, but everyone can reload a semi-auto in the same amount of time.

Revolvers are generally the same size as semi-autos, but thicker due to the cylinder and have less rounds. Tell me again how they are easier to conceal. Which revolver do you exactly carry?

Document an example of a private citizen being killed due to not having an extra mag.

A good observation was made earlier, that in all these self-defence shootings that are posted on this forum, every single one of them was over in 2 shots, and not one of them experienced a magaziene problem.

I think all the hype over carrying reloads are just mall ninjas trying to sell you something and/or get views on their YouTube channel. Prove me wrong.

Again it is your choice not to carry spare ammunition. I don't have to show you any documentation of incidents as I stated:

Notice the bold? If we only would need to prepare for likely events, then life would be much easier.

The problem with your argument is that self defense cases are rarely documented well, so we do not know how often one actually needed to use a spare magazine, because this information is mostly not publicly available. If you would take training classes, you would hear personal anecdotes from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back