How much is to much??

I was looking thru a friends collection of gun mags and came across an article that made me go hmmmmm???

Now at the end of the day, the author was trying to sell his services as a trial consultant. I get cautious when someone is trying to do that without coming right out and saying hey I want to sell you this or that, but one example he used is what made me think.

His example was in a trial of a concealed carry permit holder who shot somebody to death. It was implied the cops searched the guys home and found ammunition. It was only a couple hundred rounds as I remember. At trial, according to the author, the prosecutor got up and told the jury this guy was capable and possibly planning to kill the same amount of people as there was ammunition found. Now I actually consider that a backhand compliment. One round equals one kill is pretty good shooting really, but I sure as hell wouldn't want a prosecutor saying it about me at trial if it was me!

I currently have, including about 250 rounds or so of 22LR and skeet practice shotgun shells, probably 900 rounds. For me this is actually pretty stocked up cause I just bought a bunch, but I really don't consider it that all much because I know how fast I go thru it. I could send at least half of it down range in a single outing.

So how much ammo do you folks keep on hand and what is the number you would call to much?

I was looking thru a friends collection of gun mags and came across an article that made me go hmmmmm???

Now at the end of the day, the author was trying to sell his services as a trial consultant. I get cautious when someone is trying to do that without coming right out and saying hey I want to sell you this or that, but one example he used is what made me think.

His example was in a trial of a concealed carry permit holder who shot somebody to death. It was implied the cops searched the guys home and found ammunition. It was only a couple hundred rounds as I remember. At trial, according to the author, the prosecutor got up and told the jury this guy was capable and possibly planning to kill the same amount of people as there was ammunition found. Now I actually consider that a backhand compliment. One round equals one kill is pretty good shooting really, but I sure as hell wouldn't want a prosecutor saying it about me at trial if it was me!

I currently have, including about 250 rounds or so of 22LR and skeet practice shotgun shells, probably 900 rounds. For me this is actually pretty stocked up cause I just bought a bunch, but I really don't consider it that all much because I know how fast I go thru it. I could send at least half of it down range in a single outing.

So how much ammo do you folks keep on hand and what is the number you would call to much?

I have several thousand rounds of 9mm and .40, several hundred rounds of .357 and 12 ga. I am not worried about it. Atty's will try to turn anything around on you, so it would not surprise me if this really happened. I personally think my behavior and appearance as viewed by the jury can go a long ways towards offsetting it (as well as a damn good atty. Although reason does not always prevail.

When I was taking my ccw class, the instructor told of a man who used a 9mm in a self defense situation. The prosecuting atty (may have been the plaitiff atty, cannot recall if it was criminal or civil) claimed nazi ties because the man used a 9mm lugar (hmm, lugar, german, nazi). I really did not believe my instructor at first, but really don't doubt it actually happened now. But I am keeping both my beretta and sig 9mm

I have two different types of ammo at home. People bullets (hollow points for both 40Cal & 9mm) to protect the family and I. Then there is about 1800 40cal rounds 400 9mm and 200 12ga.

I don't care what the Prosecutor tries to say about the additional rounds. ;)

Speaking for myself...

I don't have a hard and fast rule. But here's what I generally have around.

For center-fire handguns: At any given time, I have about 200 rounds of range ammo for each gun. I also keep 30-50 rounds of self-defense ammunition for each handgun I carry.

(Note: When I carry, it's generally 30 rounds total on me...but sometimes you have to buy a couple of 20 or 25 round boxes to get to 30 rounds.)

For rim-fire handguns: I use these a LOT for training students, so I generally have a brick or two of .22LR around, which is 500-1000 rounds.

For rifles: I usually keep 1-2 boxes (20 rounds each) for each rifle. I only have bolt-action hunting rifles, though - no sporting, black, or other semi-auto rifles. If I were shooting semi-auto, I'd likely buy in bulk.

For shotguns: I keep one box of #4 buckshot for home defense, and an assortment of old leftover light game rounds from when I used to hunt. (YES I realize #1 or #00 is better for defense, but I live in an apartment complex.)

I really give much consideration to "what might happen in court" when making my ammo quantity choices. I buy according to my needs.

As I've said in just about every other "what might happen in court" thread: With a FEW exceptions, a prosecutor will not try you if it is clear that the shooting was justified. If the prosecutor feels it was NOT clear...then yes, he will likely use EVERYTHING against you that he can. This factor is one of many you should consider when making your defensive firearm choices.

i normally have about 300-400 rounds total. most is for my handguns, but i have a few boxes for my shotgun. id really like to have 1,000 rounds for handguns (range and hollowpoint) and about 500 rounds for my 12g ( buckshot, slug and range)

never know when SHTF and u need your gun to hunt or whathave you

Don't worry about it, buy all the ammo you can afford. When I find it on sale I buy a bunch, this save me plenty over the year. The amount of ammo you have is going to be the least of your problems. When your attorney gets to question the cops that were saying how much ammo you had he can ask; How many round do you fire when you practice? How often do you practice? What is the most you have fired in a practice? Would you like to practice more often? How many rounds do you fire to qualify and how often do you have to qualify? This will educate most jurors. All you need is one shooter on the jury.

Your goal in court will be to educate the jury as to why you did what you did and how you knew what you know. Anticipated price increases, quantity discounts, frequent range visits or desired increases in range visits, multiple shooters in the family. I am sure there are other reasons to have large amounts of ammo. The prosecutor claiming that 200 rounds (4 boxes) of ammo is extreme is grasping at straws. Remember it only takes one intelligent juror to see past his smoke screen. This issue is easy, other issue will be harder, keep training and document it. Keep a training file. Write down the books and magazines you read and when.

I have more than one....not going to say how many guns.

But I buy .22's a brick at a time so I usually have two bricks on hand.

Where else can you amuse yourself for an afternoon for $5.00 or $6.00?

Watching TV?

Not really. Your cable service cost more per half day than that.

I buy some sort of ammo every time I have the money I know .223 alone im easily over 5000 rds. Don't be scared of being prosecuted for it, have you ever seen a police departments armory?

With the exception of shotgun ammo, I buy the range stuff 1000 rounds at a time. I currently have 5000+ rounds of various calibers. I have 1 box each of each caliber of SD ammo.

Can't wait for some paranoid chicken-little to tell me how foolish I am for posting that on the internet. Now I'm probably in some government database, right?? Heck, I might as well go all the way.....<knock knock> Helloooooo?? Government bad guys??? I've got 16 guns to go along with my company-sized ammo cache!! Did ya hear me.....??"

When I was taking my ccw class, the instructor told of a man who used a 9mm in a self defense situation. The prosecuting atty (may have been the plaitiff atty, cannot recall if it was criminal or civil) claimed nazi ties because the man used a 9mm lugar (hmm, lugar, german, nazi). I really did not believe my instructor at first, but really don't doubt it actually happened now. But I am keeping both my beretta and sig 9mm

I believe that probably happened too. I also believe that pulling that kind of crap is what should be illegal. It's pathetic what people can be convinced of in the right circumstances. If a prosecuting attorney has to resort to a stretch that long, he doesn't have a case. Giving that kind of junk legal consequences for the lawyer would go a long way towards keeping innocent people out of jail!

Attorney's are paid to say whatever. They are pawns in the system and you do what ya wanna do. It's like how many Hot Wheels do you have?? Screw em. They can kiss my ass. They just want the check.

No guns but lots of ammo...and stacking up. Nothing else to say. I buy some, wifey buy some, kiddos buy some. We have lost count.
Tucker's Dad

Wow I did not know there was such a problem...If you guys find you have too much send it to me...No matter matter what caliber.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back