How much expereince is enough?

Ricky_Bobby

I am 25 and looking to start moving in some sort of definite direction for a career. I am currently working for a private univeristy that provides me and my family with a decent paycheck and good health benefits but I really want to do something in the firearm industry. Ideally instructing would be where I would like to start. I know taking NRA courses are the place to start but from everything I have read taking up an apprenticeship is the next step after that. So my question for all you instructors are: What are the best ways to begin an apprenticeship?
As an instructor, whas is it that would benefit you to take on an apprentice? How much experience are you looking for? I ask that last question because i have a burning passion for firearms but i am still relatively new to everything. I grew up in central NY and had a healthy respect for guns. We had a .22 growing up and I have some experience with a bow. It wasnt until i had finished college in 2011 when I really got into handguns. I've owned a few different types in the last couple years but i know I am still a newbie. I try and shoot as much as I can but the extra expense makes it hard to go often. I read all that I can and try not to act like a know it all. I just want to learn more.

So any advice/feedback from any instructors would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Bobby

Well you should definitely have quite a lot of experience. That is a must unless you start dealing with these firearms. A reg is also a thing to look out for.

Ricky, I can appreciate the financial challenge you're facing. However, I'd encourage you to attend training courses as frequently as possible. There are plenty of instructors out there who do not have "loaded resumes" full of LEO and/or Military experience. Many have instructor resumes that simply list all the courses they've attended and other instructors/institutions where they've trained. I'm not advocating joining the military to get experience, but experience must come from somewhere.

Any instructor worth their salt still trains elsewhere. Learning should never stop. "Once an instructor. Always a student."

Ricky I am 68 years old and spent 9 1/2 years in the Military and 25 years in Law Enforcement with 7 years as a Range Master and Armorer. I also spent over 22 years as a chief weapons instructor and 23 years on the SWAT team as a Sniper and the Sniper Unit Supervisor. I have now been retired for 20 years and I still shoot every week with both handguns and long guns.
My point is that you never have enough training no matter what it has to do with firearms. With new laws and new types of weapons always coming out you never are at the top of your game without constant training. All the training in the world will not help you if you can't apply it in the right mode you must also have people skills to be able to get your point across. Learn all that you can and teach what you learn.
I don't know if this helped any but I hope that it did.
Bill

I'm not an instructor, per se, but I would think it would be worth your while to apprentice yourself to someone with an established reputation and credentials who is already doing it. This much I CAN say - you MUST become a student of firearms laws, both federal and those of your state. THAT you can do right now from your own computer. I sell firearms for a national outfitter which shall remain unnamed. 70% - 80% of my time is taken up with education, much of it concerning firearm laws, another chunk of it concerning defensive use, carry, etc. Part of my background includes serving as a legislative researcher for a MI State Representative; firearms law was one of my areas of expertise. I am constantly studying everything I can get my hands on to stay as current as possible.

Ricky... I hope by now you have taken your NRA's Instructor Class. I think with your current teaching experience that should help you a lot in becoming an firearms instructor. Get some experience with a variety of guns... go to a range and practice, practice, practice, and learn as much as you can from experts (forums, articles, podcasts, etc). If you can find a mentor that would be great but, not absolutely necessary. You prior teaching experience will help you in many ways.
Scott

Go to Gunsite for a few courses. Talk to those instructors and see how much training they have under their belt.

Not trying to be funny or sarcastic but my comment relates to your problem. I would like nothing better than to become the Captain of a nuclear submarine, but I know and you know that I am about 20+ years away from any kind of schooling and experience and even military acceptance. Just because you "want" and just because you are "serious" is a very long way from "being". Replies have already indicated military and LEO experience as pretty much a 100% precursor. My instructor was a 30 year service deputy sheriff. I am smart but there is no way I can make-up that kind of experience. How about working at a gun shop or apprenticing with a gunsmith or even applying for a position at or with a gun mfgr.

Ricky_B There are a lot of great responses here. Two that standout to me are the ones from sgtbill (his speaks for itself) and kelcarry. kelcarry states exactly my thoughts.
First off, most people as they advance their "gun" education would like an instructor that "has been there, done that".
As an older guy with no LEO or Military experience I have given thought to becoming an instructor. Not as a career change, I am retired, but a chance to be involved and to pass on what I have learned. For me that would limit to teaching the NRA basic gun safety course, First Shots and possibly home protection course. I believe that I could pass on this basic knowledge without battle tried experience.
I hope you don't mind the following advice. You have a good job that has benefits and by your words provides for you and your family. KEEP IT! Now pursue your love by taking courses to educate yourself in any part of the firearm industry you can. In this country, at least at one time, if you love something you will become good at it and no matter what it is you will make a buck at it.
kelcarry makes a great point to be involved in the industry. Follow up on Gunsmithing and armoring. You don't have to be a race car driver to be a great mechanic. You may end up with a well known gun manufacturer and gain great product knowledge. You might parlay that into being a rep for that company which can make you some very nice money. You have many options. Just make sure you get some education and experience in the field without becoming a part of Barry Os economy. Do most of it while you have your current job. It's possible.

Ricky,

I'm 43. I was in the military but I don't credit it that to experience toward being a firearms instructor since I was in the Air Force and worked in Intelligence.

For the last few years I've been involved with our local Sheriff's Reserve Division. It's a volunteer organization where they train you to be a deputy to the Sheriff, but you are not paid. Most details are low risk security type details. Through this organization, I have received my NRA Basic Pistol LE certification, Glock Armorer certification, and soon I will have the Range Safety Officer Certification. I'm not close to be able to be an instructor. I will need to run through a few years as an RSO and take more courses under the tutelage of an instructor.

Here are Course Offerings from the NRA. You should run through the Basic Course before running through the Instructor courses.
NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Get in touch with your local Sheriff to see if they have a Reserve or Auxiliary program in your county. This will let you get LE experience without changing your job.

Here also is a link from the NRA on how to become an Instructor:
Education and Training|Course Instructors

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. There are a lot of starving artists and I would make a wager that a few instructors are also starving.

What CapGun said. The course I took has a couple of gunny's, an ex Navy SEAL (owner), and a SWAT team captain. They have trouble filling courses when the mercury drops, even with their reputation record. Most training courses are typically taught one day out of the week, sometimes only once a month. As for experience, one never has too much. Demonstrated skills and knowledge, along with natural ability counts as much as experience in many cases.

Hey Rick,

I became an instructor and I sat in classes with instructors that had a GREAT reputation and learned a lot from him. Now I have someone that works with me on all classes till he gets comfortable to do it on his own. I have been a instructor for a few years but taught people before I even became one. I am still learning I love sitting in and working with other instructors cause you get different techniques to do things and can learn from each other. Also I would say goto IDPA matches and talk with instructors and people that just have years of experience so your constantly learning ( you NEVER stop learning ). I hope this helps.

I did service calls on industrial machines and took the same hydraulic course 7 different times. Each time I learned something and/or refined what I already knew. My scores were always at the top of the classes but I still ran into some hydraulic problems that stumped me for a while in the field!

Because of this I would take a course every time I could, as long as I had the time and the money! I know I could learn something every time. Philly is correct when he says you never stop learning.

Not trying to be funny or sarcastic but my comment relates to your problem. I would like nothing better than to become the Captain of a nuclear submarine, but I know and you know that I am about 20+ years away from any kind of schooling and experience and even military acceptance. Just because you "want" and just because you are "serious" is a very long way from "being". Replies have already indicated military and LEO experience as pretty much a 100% precursor. My instructor was a 30 year service deputy sheriff. I am smart but there is no way I can make-up that kind of experience. How about working at a gun shop or apprenticing with a gunsmith or even applying for a position at or with a gun mfgr.

OTOH, there are a lot of LEOs that went through entire careers and retired without firing their weapons except in periodic qualifications. And there are soldiers, sailors, airmen, and even Marines that went all their service lives without being shot at or having to shoot back and were never in a position to. Not even all special operations members are 'shooters'. There are specializations even in teams. So saying you want someone with military or LEO experience isn't saying enough. What kind of experience in the military or law enforcement? That has a bearing.

There is also the negative role that experience can play. Someone wins gunfights, one or several, by using a certain narrow range of techniques, then comes out and applies that narrow range as applicable to everyone, everywhere, under all conditions. Somebody gets the wrong kind of training that way. We also have those with vast experience and sublime skills with weapons and tactics who nonetheless have no ability to pass that knowledge or those skills to anyone else.

I would rather have an instructor that knows the material and is able to teach that material without military or LE background, than someone with extraordinary skill and/or vast experience that doesn't know how to point someone to a store across the street.

There is never enough experience, the ladder of excellence goes forever. Anyone who thinks they have "enough" experience is a dangerous instructor. Train until you fail.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Experience is just like training, there is no "destination." Any element of experience or training we participate in makes us a better instructor. I would also recommend cross-discipline for the differences and similarities. Don't wait for enough experience, but never stop training.

I am not saying to join the military to get training but you will get plenty of long gun training in the Army, Marines, etc. Serving a tour in Iraq of Afghanistan would also get you some trigger time (not suggesting this either). The next would to become a law enforcement officer (Fed, local cop, etc). If you have tons of cash than goto all those very expensive training facilities (Front Sight, etc). And finally you will get plenty of trigger time competing in USPSA/IPSC matches. If you are not going to join the military, become a law enforcement officer or have tons of money to attend those expensive schools than I would suggest competing. Do a google search for any local gun clubs in your area and get into the world of shooting. I love going to the monthly / weekly matches. I have seen some of the best shooters at these local and state matches. Now competing is no way training in the use of force but it sure will build muscle memory when it comes to deploying your weapon system (handgun, etc) if the time comes. Just my 2 cents.

Here's my $0.02 to add. As an instructor (of any course at any level), if you aren't actively taking classes from other instructors on occasion and staying current with new techniques and materials, you will lag behind. I am more likely to train from an instructor who is constantly learning and training than one who only teaches X,Y and Z.

You might not be into competitive shooting but you might have students who are interested. If you know nothing about it, take a class under a reputable instructor in that competitive shooting discipline. Take the time to watch a few matches in your area, etc. The opportunities to explore and expose yourself to more than the NRA curriculum and the military are out there and well worth your time. It is also VERY HUMBLING to actually participate in those activities. I just finished taking one of those HUMBLING classes this weekend. It WILL make me a better shooter in the end but learned there were things I learned I never wanted to do in a "regular classroom". Hearing a world class competitive shooter say "You SUCK" is different from me telling a typical student those same words. However, some of his teaching methods were good and his training drills were awesome. I WILL employ those into my personal training AND as additional materials for my students.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back