How many shots in a gun fight?

cluznar

Has there ever been a survey that determined how many shots the usual person in a gun fight shoots?

I know that most gun fights are over quickly so I would imagine it is a low number. Anyone have any info?

:dirol:

Has there ever been a survey that determined how many shots the usual person in a gun fight shoots?

I know that most gun fights are over quickly so I would imagine it is a low number. Anyone have any info?

That all depends....How many bad guys? :dirol:

My defensive skill class that I took at KR Training here in Texas gave the average as 3 shots in 3 seconds at 3 feet. Not sure where they got the numbers from. The 3x3x3 was pretty consistent with their training which I found to be outstanding.

There's been one that I know of. With a revolver, the average number of shots fired by each side is 2.04 rounds. With semi-autos the figure is 2.53 rounds. The study was done in 1993 and is published in "Urban firearm deaths: A five-year perspective"

What needs to be remembered is the figure given in any study is an average. Obviously that means some encounters only involved 1 shot while some encounters involved more than the stated average in order to come up with that average.

What we need to do is to decide............ will the encounter I'm involved in be one of those needing more than the stated average number of shots.... and am I willing to bet my life it won't?

Quite frankly, in my opinion, it is wise to prepare for the worst case scenario the individual person can reasonably expect to encounter during their own lives in order to have what is needed for any scenario.

I carry 7 + 1 and a spare Mag always. If it ain't enough I'll just have to beat them with my 1911A1.

Most train at the 3/5/7 yrd lines. I was always taught whether revolver of auto, shoot in two rounds bursts, evaluate and repeat if necessary. (I'm not saying my training is any better then anyone else's, it was the way I've always trained)

Yes, there are statistics. But, I can't remember where I saw them. (on another forum).

But, here's a pretty good article on the subject-

Link Removed

Another blog post-

The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings

Here's an excerpt-

For the period 1997 – 2001, reports of 482 incidents were examined. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included.
The majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles. The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).
Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.

-

I guess I'm not the only one that trains with two round bursts. A puddle jumper (US Coast Guard) tried telling me that were taught to fire all rounds on the initial onset of engagement. BS.......Maybe that's why he barely lasted 4 years.

Re: The 3 shots at 3 feet in 3 seconds

They got that from the FBI statistics for the average DGU.

As for the gun fight stats, I use this article in teaching my class.

Link Removed

It is a good read.

NYPD GUNFIGHT STATISTICS 1990-2000
NYPD SOP-9
YEAR HIT PROBABILITY SHOTS FIRED PER GUNFIGHT SHOTS FIRED PER OFFICER
1990 19% 8.2 4.4
1991 15% 5.9 3.7
1992 17% 7.7 3.6
1993 15% Unavailable Unavailable
1994 12% 9.3 4.4
1995 18% 12.5 6.2
1996 14% 11.1 6.1
1997 10% 10.6 5.3
1998 25% 10.0 5.5
1999 13% 10.6 5.9
2000 9% 16.8 6.9
MEAN SCORES 15% 10.3 5.2

Distances In Which NYPD Officers
Were Involved In Shooting Incidents

1994-2000
0-2 Yards 1188 69%
3-7 Yards 332 19%

When you see the above post, for the year 2000 they are only hitting 9% of the time and 69% of those were at 0-2 yds.

During that 12-year period, Metro-Dade Police fired about 1,300 bullets at suspects,
and missed more than 1,100 times. This suggests that Miami police fared no better than a 15.4% hit ratio,

What needs to be remembered is the figure given in any study is an average. Obviously that means some encounters only involved 1 shot while some encounters involved more than the stated average in order to come up with that average.

What we need to do is to decide............ will the encounter I'm involved in be one of those needing more than the stated average number of shots.... and am I willing to bet my life it won't?

Quite frankly, in my opinion, it is wise to prepare for the worst case scenario the individual person can reasonably expect to encounter during their own lives in order to have what is needed for any scenario.

Agreed. He was asking if any studies had been done. The answer to his question is "yes". Obviously averages mean some fights have more rounds fired while others have fewer. That should be plain to anyone.

I'm not sure of your interest in the "usual" number of shots needed. The only rule necessary is to shoot as many rounds as are necessary to stop the threat or threats that are coming after you or your loved ones. If you can do that with one shot, so be it, if you have to empty three mags, and can justify the necessity, so be it.

The reason for knowing the average amount of shots fired by one person is to allow you to know how many rounds you need available in your first mag. From what I see here if you have a 7 round mag +1 in the chamber you should be fine. My guns hold 7, 10, and 17 rounds which now makes me confident I will be in pretty good shape in a gun fight. You all have provided some interesting info here, thanks.

I've seen some surveys in the past and the numbers vary from about 2 to 5 from what I've seen. As some others have mentioned, I've been trained a couple of different ways--most teach firing two to center mass, then assess and fire more if necessary--usually one more to the head.

IMO
if the total shots fired goes past 3, you are in serious trouble.
Defending yourself against multiple assailants is a losing proposition. period.
52 rounds carried on your person is good exercise, and maybe a sign of paranoia.

Few, very few people ever get told, let alone trained about how to avoid a confrontation,
and most importantly how to avoid getting shot during a confrontation.

Have you ever been taught to fall down while you are shooting?
It makes you a smaller and a moving target, not to mention it catches the perp off guard,
and also makes your shots go upward so that any overpenetration might not hit someone behind the perp.

Many more things to think about.....

a carry permit is a learner's permit; something to make you want to learn how to survive the encounter,
which in reality is more important than "popping the perp."

The reason for knowing the average amount of shots fired by one person is to allow you to know how many rounds you need available in your first mag. From what I see here if you have a 7 round mag +1 in the chamber you should be fine. My guns hold 7, 10, and 17 rounds which now makes me confident I will be in pretty good shape in a gun fight. You all have provided some interesting info here, thanks.

One thing I might add is that there is a big difference between a gun "fight" and a typical self defense situation. Most people will never be in a true gun "fight"; with BGs that are willing to stand there and engage in a prolonged fight once a victim chooses to resist.

For those that are unfortunate enough to be in SD situation, a typical revolver or single stack mag is probably enough. But, I still think it's a good idea to carry at least ONE reload; for a JIC scenario where a SD situation really does turn into a prolonged "FIGHT".

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back