How many CCW permits do you all have?

I read also that say if you live in MA and have a CCW and also have a FL non-resident CCW that the states normally covered by a FL resident CCW might not apply if you have a non-resident CCW. I think I have read that in several states laws.. I would be sure to check on that point.

I read also that say if you live in MA and have a CCW and also have a FL non-resident CCW that the states normally covered by a FL resident CCW might not apply if you have a non-resident CCW. I think I have read that in several states laws.. I would be sure to check on that point.

CO, FL, ME, MI, NH, and SC....all require that the permit you use in their state for reciprocity be issued by your home state.

I currently have 7 concealed carry permits. I travel to New England frequently, so I need pretty much one for each state.

Easiest ones to get:
New Hampshire (2 weeks, door to door) and PA (Centre County, 2 weeks, door to door), and both only need a copy, front and back of your home state's CWL (or any CWL for NH).

Arizona is real easy now, as I used a copy of my 6 other permits and my military ID as proof of training (took 1 week, door to door).

Florida (took 3 weeks) and Maine (took 50 days) both require training, but are easily gotten.

CT is a pain with poor directions on how to fill out, but they are shall issue. Took 30 days for that one.

West Virginia is shall issue to residents only (have to drop off/pick up in person) and took me 30 days (had to wait 90 to pick it up as I was out of state). My sister got hers a month ago and it took 1 day (dropped it off one day picked it up the next).

For me, I just have to get Massachusetts to cover where I travel in NE. Anyone have any current experiences with the great state of Taxachussetts?

Bold: Not anymore. As of July 29, 2010...the constitutional carry bill added multiple other options for training...and in-state training is no longer required. I received my AZ permit last month, using my NRA Basic that I took here in PA.

Thanks for the update on Arizona. It looks like a good deal price-wise if one already has the training certification. I still would need the training certificate, so I would probably lean towards the Florida permit to start. Are you familiar with "Ready Aim Fire" in Bristol and the permit classes they offer through Personal Defense Solutions?

Florida resident. Took five months and one day to get.
New York,my former state.I'm not sure if it is still good.
Pennsylvania non resident. Took nine days to get.
Like to be able to carry in California.

:angry:

Thanks for the update on Arizona. It looks like a good deal price-wise if one already has the training certification. I still would need the training certificate, so I would probably lean towards the Florida permit to start. Are you familiar with "Ready Aim Fire" in Bristol and the permit classes they offer through Personal Defense Solutions?

Ready Aim Fire has some of the highest training prices around. Aslo, on his website he is stating:

The Florida Division of Licensing (Website Contact: Contact Information - Division of Licensing, FDACS Florida CCW Application Processing Unit Phone: 850-245-5691. Division's Legal Dept. Phone: 850-245-5491) is no longer recognizing military honorable discharge papers, DD-214 certificates, or copies of Military IDs (active duty) as proof of firearms safety training that fulfills the education requirements of the Florida Statutes. Likewise, they are no longer recognizing any Hunter Safety certificates, nor are they accepting proof of being an active duty or retired law enforcement officer as valid proof of acceptable firearms training.

Which we have not been able to find any basis of fact with FL.

I wouldnt go to them.

Ready Aim Fire has some of the highest training prices around. Aslo, on his website he is stating:

Which we have not been able to find any basis of fact with FL.

I wouldnt go to them.

In a sense I understand Eimer's marketing himself for out of state permits, although they don't do much for minimally traveling eastern Pennsylvanians like myself. I was unable to get a North Dakota permit before they changed their regulations because the few trainers I was able to contact did not want to work with me (?). Eimer apparently does Utah permit classes as well now.

Have you found other trainers in southeastern Pennsylvania that are more reasonably priced? I found one other Utah trainer in the Easton area, but his prices were about the same as Eimer's, minus his "paperwork fee."

In a sense I understand Eimer's marketing himself for out of state permits, although they don't do much for minimally traveling eastern Pennsylvanians like myself. I was unable to get a North Dakota permit before they changed their regulations because the few trainers I was able to contact did not want to work with me (?). Eimer apparently does Utah permit classes as well now.

Have you found other trainers in southeastern Pennsylvania that are more reasonably priced? I found one other Utah trainer in the Easton area, but his prices were about the same as Eimer's, minus his "paperwork fee."

Marketing your classes is one thing...but to give false information in the process in order to get more business?

I took the class with Greg Brown of Link Removed...It was $100 in January.

Marketing your classes is one thing...but to give false information in the process in order to get more business?

I took the class with Greg Brown of Link Removed...It was $100 in January.

True. He also made it sound like trainers are rare you won't have decent reciprocity if you don't get a Florida permit...and a Virginia permit.....and a Utah permit, because states may quickly revoke reciprocity agreements. I know that Nevada reciprocity has recently changed for the negative, but that Iowa will change for the positive in 2011, due to improvements in their law.

It looks like Team life has used Classic Pistol for their range, which was actually the last place my brother and I went to for target practice. The other option I have found for a Utah permit is JS Holsters in Easton. It looks like $100 is the best price in this area. I'll have to decide when I catch up on my bills if I want to go your route with the basic training and the AZ permit, or a Utah course/permit. An employee at Classic pistol was telling me that like Arizona, many states will accept a generalized training course.

Peace!

True. He also made it sound like trainers are rare you won't have decent reciprocity if you don't get a Florida permit...and a Virginia permit.....and a Utah permit, because states may quickly revoke reciprocity agreements. I know that Nevada reciprocity has recently changed for the negative, but that Iowa will change for the positive in 2011, due to improvements in their law.

It looks like Team life has used Classic Pistol for their range, which was actually the last place my brother and I went to for target practice. The other option I have found for a Utah permit is JS Holsters in Easton. It looks like $100 is the best price in this area. I'll have to decide when I catch up on my bills if I want to go your route with the basic training and the AZ permit, or a Utah course/permit. An employee at Classic pistol was telling me that like Arizona, many states will accept a generalized training course.

Peace!

Jason (JS) comes highly recommended as an instructor. I never really looked into him because he is in Easton.

NRA Basic....or even the free PA Hunter Safety course would be accepted by FL and AZ....more options there.

Jason (JS) comes highly recommended as an instructor. I never really looked into him because he is in Easton.

NRA Basic....or even the free PA Hunter Safety course would be accepted by FL and AZ....more options there.

Thank you for all of this information. I really appreciate it!
The hunter safety course sounds interesting, although I don't own a hunting rifle!

Welcome Newt! As my former neighbor Mrjam2jab put it, Utah, Florida, or Arizona (have to take the course in AZ) will give you reciprocity for Ohio. Just be careful as different states tend to have slight variations as to where you can and can't carry. For example, Arkansas prohibits carry in churches. Some states prohibit carry in bars, but PA will allow it....if you don't drink alcohlol!

At least there's hope for folks in western Pennsylvania when crossing the border. I'm in the eastern part of the state, 45 minutes from un-gun-friendly New Jersekstan, with New York up top and Maryland down below! Except for a few miles of Maryland, the I-81 corridor going south is PA permit friendly!

I was considering a Utah or Florida permit, but the only state I travel to is New Jersey, so it wouldn't help me. I do carry a 3/4 ounce pepper spray, which is the largest size the restrictive garden state allows.

You might want to do a little more research... there is NO prohibition on taking a drink in PA while carrying. In fact, Im a regular OC'r in PA and have on many occasions had a beer while carrying. While I dont condone it (albeit Ive done it discretely), you are absolutely allowed (meaning that its NOT prohibited by statue) to be in a bar and consume while carrying. As always, use common sense and good judgment... If your involved in an incident with a firearm and you've been consuming, realize the extra scrutiny that you'll face (and the potential legal implications).

You might want to do a little more research... there is NO prohibition on taking a drink in PA while carrying. In fact, Im a regular OC'r in PA and have on many occasions had a beer while carrying. While I dont condone it (albeit Ive done it discretely), you are absolutely allowed (meaning that its NOT prohibited by statue) to be in a bar and consume while carrying. As always, use common sense and good judgment... If your involved in an incident with a firearm and you've been consuming, realize the extra scrutiny that you'll face (and the potential legal implications).

True. It's just not a good scenario to be in, in my opinion, especially for the scrutiny factor you mentioned, let alone trying to be discreet with a visible weapon in front of others who may be way past one drink. I don't frequent many bars, but I see on a weekly basis the out of control drinkiers the police bring to the hospital where I work.

Peace!

I have a Massachsetts Resident Class A No restrictions, A Rhode Island non resident pistol permit.

How was the RI to get ?

I have MA Resident Class A Unrestricted, Utah Non-Resident, NH Non-Resident, ME is in process and got the Application for CT the day after I called for it. Will be sending that in just after the 1st of the year

I have 3

UT
OR (needed sinse im on the border of Washington and Oregon)
and WA

Im pretty well covered everywhere I travel.

:biggrin: SC, NH, PA, and FL. Last count, I was good for 33 states. I was a charter pilot and flew all over the country. When able, I took my guns and looked for a good pistol match when staying over the weekend. Since I am retired now, I will probably let my FL permit expire. It used to be one of the best ones but NH and PA have caught up except for Washington State and Delaware which I don't think I'll ever need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back