CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

How do I get the wife to stop saying......

My wife was with me when I bought my Glock. She knows when I go to the range. She is retired so she gets the mail everyday and sees the magazines that I subscribe to. However I have never told her that I carry. I don't know how she could not know as I don't hide when I un-holster my gun and put it in the safe on my night stand when we go to bed at night. (I have two small children) I don't hide it when I un-holster it to put it in the safe in my truck when we go to the kids school for events or conferences. I wold imagine she has to feel it when we are walking and I put my arm around her. With all of that being said, I have never told her and she has never asked so I guess that approach has worked for me.

Tell her "I would rather carry every day and never need it, than go out once and have you hurt or killed because I didn't have it."

I could not live with myself if anything happend to my loved ones because I left my defensive tools at home.

Great advice. This is exactly what I used to tell my wife. Since our child came along, my wife has a .38 DS for home protection and encourages me to carry for ALL of our protection.

Maybe you should get her pregnant? LOL

Just a suggestion.

WOLF

It's Simple..... Ask her if Virginia Tech was a bad area, or if the several malls where coneheads have done mass shootings were bad areas. Everytime you see something on the news about someone getting robbed or killed ask her if it was a bad area. She'll get the picture sooner or later. Ask her why SHE wants to dictate to you when you carry and when you don't. Ask her where the last homicide and or robbery in your area was located. Ask her if she personally will guarantee you nothing will happen in the area you are going and if it does happen, do you have the right to abandon her there while you escape to safety. Go to the internet sites of your local newspaper and TV News and make copies of any homicides, robberies or shootings in the "good areas". Then present them to her.

Great advice. This is exactly what I used to tell my wife. Since our child came along, my wife has a .38 DS for home protection and encourages me to carry for ALL of our protection.

Maybe you should get her pregnant? LOL

Just a suggestion.

WOLF

Too late. We have a 7yr old and 11yr old. Both of them are more comfortable and well educated on my guns then the wife is.

I've been paying attention to the robberies, etc in the paper. I just need to start forwarding them to her.

There is still hope. If my wife can turn, so can yours. ( she is Canadian )When we first met, she knew of my affinity to guns, and why I was adamant on why I would NOT become a Canadian, & she would have tio come to the states if we were going to marry. ( along w/ the fact that I owned 2 "vicious" dogs, sadly 1 passed on after 12 years of faithful service. And, they made it illegal to own these "vicious" dogs in Ontario.) So, needless to say, I am staying an American!
I taught her how to shoot - on her own accord. She approached me one afternoon and asked me to teach her in the backyard, which I gladly did. She is a natural. She does better w/ a revolver than a semi. Just can't cycle it. No biggie. She enjoys shooting. I still have to let her try the guage, and am unsure if she will be able to handle it. Only time will tell.
When I first started carrying, she would pat me down to see if I had it. She was slightly nervous, but the more articles I showed her, the more comfortable she became. She still is a little questioning if I carry around the house, but I keep it concealed mainly, so none the wiser. I have dogs that WILL alet us if anyone starts up the drive, so no chance of me not beig able to get to a weapon if there is a threat approaching.
She knows I carry EVERYWHERE, and is more comfortable with it. In fact it has gotten to the point that she hopes I DO have it on me"just in case". She has told me that repeatedly. I guess having a baby also plays into that - the maternal instinct to protect. We were visiting the fam in Canada last year, and decided to take a walk. She was the one who commented on how she felt uneasy taking a walk @ night w/o me packing. GOOD GIRL!
I guess the point of all this rambling is that you should just let her come to accept this on her terms. Yes, you can help it along subtly. I tried to push a little in the past and only pushed her away from enjoying a wonderful hobby. SO, now I learned that subtlety is the best way. Continue to carry, and like others stated, just keep it concealed. She will hopefully, eventually warm up to it, and be glad you are being proactive in keeping the family safe.
Good luck. Be persistant. ...............mot

I started carrying back in '97 after a couple visiting Texas from out of state (for a Christian convention), were kidnapped, killed, stuffed in a car trunk, and burned. My wife asked me what I was doing when I stuffed my .45 in my pants while getting dressed for work, and I told her that was never going to happen to us. Soon after I got my concealed handgun license, and a couple of years after that I had the chance to use it. Since then, no one who knows me questions why I carry, or where, or when.

I told my wife before we married that I carry a concealed weapon and asked, "is that a problem?" She said no. Fast forward about a year after we married, we were standing together for a photo in front of the Paul Revere Monument in the North End of Boston and as I pulled her in close, she bumped into the steel frame of my 1911 on my hip. She gave me a quick look and then whispered in my ear, "why are you carrying your gun?" I said, "Remember what I told you about how I carry a concealed weapon?" She asked, "All the time?" I answered, "Yes." Five years later and there are no issues.....even when she tries to feel me up!!! leasantry:

Too late. We have a 7yr old and 11yr old. Both of them are more comfortable and well educated on my guns then the wife is.

I've been paying attention to the robberies, etc in the paper. I just need to start forwarding them to her.

How about you just GROW A PAIR and tell her that because of the times you you ARE going to carry to protect her and your beautiful children. period!

let her talk to rockwerks...

How about you just GROW A PAIR and tell her that because of the times you you ARE going to carry to protect her and your beautiful children. period!
Let her talk to rockwerks...
She'll be begging you for her own gun!

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective."

(No idea who to credit with that, but I love the quote!)

I`m not a "wife" yet, but in my relationship I`ll be the one with the gun, by my choice! I`m taking my first CCW class in a few weeks and can`t wait to be able to carry my lovely Sig P220 with me every day, everywhere I go. It`s heavy and probably won`t be fun, but crimes aren`t limited to certain geographic areas or times of day. The one day a person decides to not carry may be the day one ends up needing it...

Personally, I like being alive. Wish I still had my virginity too, but at least the next time some asshole tries to take advantage of me or one of my girlfriends, I won`t be so helpless!

Wow, Dragonfly. I think I understand what you're getting at and I am sorry you were put in that position and treated that way. I do hope that you experience may help other women understand the need to carry, including my wife. Thank you for posting.

I would tell her. Since I received my CCL, I have an obligation to you, our kids and the general public to carry my weapon as often as possible. That's why I applied for the permit and practice at the range in the first place. If something was to happen while we were out at dinner and a wacko upset that Judge Sonia Sotomayor was confirmed to the bench came in to the restaurant and started shootin the place up. I would be able to defend the lives of my family and others instead of wishing I had my weapon on me so I could have saved that little kid hit by one of this wackos stray rounds. That's what I would say, but that's just me. leasantry:

I had her read the post last night...all 4 pages just to see Dragonfly's reply. She probably only read it because I was rubbin her at the same time but she did see all of your replys. Her response was...you know none of this changes anything. :fie:

She did get a chuckle out of my comment about being happy to see her but there is still a gun in my pants.

Well Aggressive1, I guess you're just going to have to carry and let her be disappointed. There comes a time, when some people, including spouses, will refuse to see things in your view. So, you just carry. If she has something to say about it, tell her YOU have a choice in the matter and your choice is to carry. If she keeps mouthing off, Duct Tape helps.:biggrin:

I had a nice conversation with my gf on Sunday. We discussed how she would want me to run away if someone broke into our house or something instead of standing my ground. She said, "What if they are armed and they shoot at you?"

My Response, "I practice shooting more than the BGs, I wont miss."

Anyone have any thought about running away from a shootout?

Yeah, there should be runners. My kids and wife should be running to safety while I delete one more moron from the face of the earth....or give my life to make sure my family is safe.
I think she is starting to get the picture and with the new Kimber I am started to get better at concealing. Of course last night she walked up to me in my den and told me to take it off before I went to the dining room for dinner.....DOH!
But then she did let me got to the range to shoot after dinner.

Anyone have any thought about running away from a shootout?

Those of us mere mortals, including all makes and models and sizes of humanoids, who cannot outrun a bullet shot by a BG, would definitely benefit from knowing how to fire a bullet first and accurately at a BG.

Those of us mere mortals, including all makes and models and sizes of humanoids, who cannot outrun a bullet shot by a BG, would definitely benefit from knowing how to fire a bullet first and accurately at a BG.

Running doesn`t seem to work very well, in my experience, unless someone stays behind to hold off the threat. I tested that personally a few times, when I was in good enough shape to run up a mountain with a backpack that weighed almost half as much as I did (general backpacker`s rule: never carry more than a third of your bodyweight).

By the way, I`m pretty sure I understand what it`s supposed to mean, but what`s BG an abbreviation for?

Last edited:
Email