Hornady

Raider-3

So I was at Dicks sporting good tonight, and I asked a employee about hornady critical defense, he told me a detective told him that it can be considered an over kill and the use of it could get you in trouble if you ever had to defend yourself under make my day. I asked him if 00buck is a better route. He didn't have an answer realizing the shotgun will do way more damage. I told him that is the cop liberal twist that thinks the only people can possess firearms are cops. All these types of ammo are legal in colorado. I see hornady ammo advertised on the sportsman channel all the time. What is the thought on it? I've used speer dot and federal hydra shocks, liked them both but wanting to try something different.

I carry the hornady critical defense and will stay with them.... They cycle perfectly in my G26 and over kill, i have no idea how someone can say that, there is no difference then any other JHP, except it has the little rubber piece to prevent the cavity from clogging when going ip against heavier clothing like coats, big sweaters, etc

Only thing on bullets for self defence, I have been told not to use is the ones you reload your self. Because
the lawyers will have fun with that. ("So you reloaded this bullet to specifically kill this man/women") I was warned of this through conceal carry instructor. The other thing was not to use FMJ. Full metal jacket will penetrate target and keep going.

rogerw:247625 said:
Only thing on bullets for self defence, I have been told not to use is the ones you reload your self. Because
the lawyers will have fun with that. ("So you reloaded this bullet to specifically kill this man/women") I was warned of this through conceal carry instructor. The other thing was not to use FMJ. Full metal jacket will penetrate target and keep going.
I've been told this also

1) Don't trust third-hand information from the "expert" behind the ****'s Sporting Goods counter.

2) I've not read up much on Hornady Critical Defense...but from the little I've read, it seems that these would be very effective at stopping an attacker.

3) If you are involved in a defensive shooting, and if the circumstances aren't clear-cut, or if the political climate in your area is anti-gun, you may go to trial. If this happens, the prosecutor will use EVERYTHING he can to paint you as a vicious killing machine that should be locked up. If you used Hornady Critical Defense, he will ask "Why not just regular hollow points?" If you used a .45, he will ask "Why not a smaller 'more defensive' gun like a .380?" If you shot the guy 5 times, he will talk about the "spray of bullets you recklessly let loose" on the poor defenseless mugger.

Sadly, most prosecutors believe their job is to get convictions, when it should be to see that justice is done.

With all that in mind - make sure you are justified, before using deadly force.

Better to be alive and telling a prosecutor why you were using Hornaday CD ammo than be dead and not answering any questions at all.

I use it simply because I trust it to expand. I would never be able to live with myself if I actually had to fire my weapon and it went in and out into an innocent bystander

I use Hornady CD ammo in my BUG and HD shotgun. When I carry my Colt New Agent I carry Hardball to prevent any feeding problems. If anybody asks why you're carrying hardball that is your answer. Also.45ACP hardball rarely causes a through and through wound, USUALLY dumping all of their energy in the target.

Hornady is all I have ever carried in my home defense guns and in my carry guns. My brother swears by Winchester personal defense.

Oh and never ask a Dicks Sporting Goods employee about anything having to do with guns. I have only had one associate with any real knowledge in the lodge there. Hell I had a kid tell me that High Point pistols were some of the best pistols ever made...

I have a quick question along the same line. I live in the kingdom of New Jersey where it is "forbiden" to cary hollow points outside the home. Is Hornaday's Critical Defence a hollowpoint?

Last edited:

I've actually had this discussion with a seasoned criminal defense attorney. His opinion is that using hand loaded ammo would be easier to defend in court. There is absolutely no way a prosecutor can prove your ammo was loaded a specific way because each one could be different. Variations in powder charge, primer, etc. will all come into play. Should the prosecutor "test fire" any of the rounds left in your magazine, they would have destroyed the evidence. Even with the test firing, there's no way to prove that the ammo they test fired was identical to the round used in self defense.

Rather than take advice from someone at a sporting goods store, invest a few dollars and find a good criminal defense attorney and have them on retainer. This will ensure that should you ever need the services of an attorney due to a self defense shooting, you will have one available and can consult with the attorney regarding whatever "what ifs'" you desire.

1- Yes Critical Defense is a hollow point.

2- It is not just store clerks saying not to use hand loads for self defense, a number of highly respected instructors, including Mas Ayoob, take this stand.

3- You can make various improvements to your weapon or ammo selections. What ever choices you make, make sure you can explain them in court. i.e. "I carry a hollow point because it is less likely to pass through the individual who I am defending myself from and into an innocent bystander".

I like the concept of the Hornady CD round but it still has some issues I believe they need to work out. Some argue that there is not enough penetration. Here is a link to something that could cause over pressure and and make life unpleasant for the person shooting. This also happened to some of the CD ammo I was carrying.

I have both Federal and Hornady JHPs loaded in the gun or mags. There is also a mag of FMJ handy for cases where the JHPs won't go thru. Most JHPs penetrate about 14" in ballistics gel while the FMJ .45 will go thru 31"+ and do better on things like glass.

Well, I carry Hornady's Critical Defense. They just released a couple of new loads, one designed to do better in auto glass and other barriers as other brands already have. I don't think I want to be in court explaining why I felt the need to shoot into a moving vehicle. Ill leave that to someone else. Critical Defense was designed as just that, a defense round made to go through clothing and stop and deposit its energy in your assailant, intruder etc.

As a side note... study and read for yourself, the county deputies little brother will swear "this is what my brother said the law is". After about a year of that I pulled out my permit and printed the state statutes and laid them on the table. When he saw that he promptly shut up.

That answer is pretty lame I think, now I recall the Black Tallon Ammo. being called Cop killers and it being banned in some Cities. But even when I went to trial the D.A. never said anything about the Hornady TAP Ammo. I had in my Glock23 .40S&W. He just kept telling the jury I had a dangerous weapon, and if it had gone off it could have killed someone. It did not work as I was found not guilty.
I do recall in Arizona that guy with the 10mm Kimber who shot the guy walking his dogs. The D.A. made a big deal about it being a 10mm. The jury convicted him, but I don't think the caliber had anything to do with him being found guilty.

rifleshooter474:247754 said:
That answer is pretty lame I think, now I recall the Black Tallon Ammo. being called Cop killers and it being banned in some Cities. But even when I went to trial the D.A. never said anything about the Hornady TAP Ammo. I had in my Glock23 .40S&W. He just kept telling the jury I had a dangerous weapon, and if it had gone off it could have killed someone. It did not work as I was found not guilty.
I do recall in Arizona that guy with the 10mm Kimber who shot the guy walking his dogs. The D.A. made a big deal about it being a 10mm. The jury convicted him, but I don't think the caliber had anything to do with him being found guilty.
We have a couple DA's in the denver area more interested in convictions than the truth.

We have a couple DA's in the denver area more interested in convictions than the truth.

Tell me about D.A.s who just want to convict a person no matter what it takes. I am a really good example of it right here in Tulsa Oklahoma and our District Attorney Tim Harris.
They tried everything to get the jury to find me guilty of something no matter if it had nothing to do with the original charge. It did not work and it cost Oklahoma thousands of taxpayer dollars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back