Home Made MRE?

GreenhawK

I have been looking into purchasing some MREs, but they are pretty expensive to have more than just enough to last a couple of days. I would rather spend my money on guns and ammo. Stuff I can have fun with.

I googled homemade MRE, and I found a few things about them.

Anyone on here make any? What do you put in them?

I have homemade MREs in storage at home and eat them regularly. However I usually call them beans, rice, corn, Spam and canned chicken or tuna. Keeps longer than the 5 years life of MREs too.

I would think dehydration of food would be the best bet for longevity. That's pretty much what Saltcreek is dealing with. It can go steps further with different types of foods.

KK

easier than making them

This was posted a week or 2 ago. I haven't ordered any, but these are significantly cheaper than mre and last longer too... http://m.samsclub.com/catalog/product/prod3111476

I used to long for a food dehydrator but decided not to buy "another gadget" for my kitchen when I can use the oven anyway to do the same thing. Smoke sausages, salamis, summer sausages, jerkies...how useful it is to have an old converted fridge for hanging your meat to dry...

I have homemade MREs in storage at home and eat them regularly. However I usually call them beans, rice, corn, Spam and canned chicken or tuna. Keeps longer than the 5 years life of MREs too.

I call BS on the "5 Year" shelf life of MREs. :) I swear that some of the crap that I was issued while overseas had a manufacture date in the 90s'. Frigg'n scrambled eggs were GRAY! :-(

As for alternatives to MREs, I would recommend basic canned goods that can be eaten hot or cold. Pork and Beans is a solid option, as well as Spam, corned beef, canned tuna, and other basic canned goods. Dried beans and rice would be other staples that I would store for survival purposes. Whatever you do, don't forget to store a lot of water.

Yes, water is a good idea not to forget. Good for washing and cooking. And flours, salt (I use himalayan salt), sugar, flints and matches. Honey is OK too. With short grain rice flour you can always have steamed/boiled chinese meals bundles even in the worst of circumstances.

I only have a small amount of MRE side items(energy bars, granola, etc.), primarily for BoB and vehicle storage. Most of my food storage comes from rice, beans, sugar, salt, honey, flour, canned goods(of all kinds), peanut butter, and noodles(raman mostly). Also, fiber pills are a good idea.

And water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think storing water is a good idea and I have quite a bit stored in plastic 5 gallon jugs you can get from Sam's. I am a little wary of the fact that they say the chemicals in the plastic can leech into the water and cause harm when you drink it.

I have been considering one of the devices, or actually 2 different ones that one, you can change swamp water into drinking water and two, the one where you can change salt water into drinking water. Some of them are a bit pricey but I'm sure they would be worth their weight in gold should you need them.

Anyone with any experience with either?

KK

I think storing water is a good idea and I have quite a bit stored in plastic 5 gallon jugs you can get from Sam's. I am a little wary of the fact that they say the chemicals in the plastic can leech into the water and cause harm when you drink it.

I have been considering one of the devices, or actually 2 different ones that one, you can change swamp water into drinking water and two, the one where you can change salt water into drinking water. Some of them are a bit pricey but I'm sure they would be worth their weight in gold should you need them.

Anyone with any experience with either?

KK
When you buy your supplies, especially water, do not sit it too long. Circulate them, when you buy your next load of water, make sure you use your two week old one or your one-month old one first, put the newly bought where you put it down last.

Remember peanuts, any kind of nuts you can just roast on the pan or heated up or incorporated with your meals or just as a snacks too...they are a good source of protein.

When you buy your supplies, especially water, do not sit it too long. Circulate them, when you buy your next load of water, make sure you use your two week old one or your one-month old one first, put the newly bought where you put it down last.

Remember peanuts, any kind of nuts you can just roast on the pan or heated up or incorporated with your meals or just as a snacks too...they are a good source of protein.

I also suggest you re-filter whatever water you're going to drink, even if it's been filtered before storage. If you're cooking with it, the heat should kill off any bacteria it may have come in contact with.

I call BS on the "5 Year" shelf life of MREs. :) I swear that some of the crap that I was issued while overseas had a manufacture date in the 90s'. Frigg'n scrambled eggs were GRAY! :-(

As for alternatives to MREs, I would recommend basic canned goods that can be eaten hot or cold. Pork and Beans is a solid option, as well as Spam, corned beef, canned tuna, and other basic canned goods. Dried beans and rice would be other staples that I would store for survival purposes. Whatever you do, don't forget to store a lot of water.

I have a dozen cases of MRE'S and believe the shelf life is 15+ years stored under ideal conditions (cool and dry). In VN in 1971 we were issued "C" rations to eat in the field on ocassion that were dated 1945 (WW-II) era! The "C" rations were still edible (by that I mean it didn't make us sick). Everything was mostly like the day it was vacuumed sealed in the can, with the exception of the 4 pack of Camel cigarettes. They were greenish and tasted dry and stale. Anything vacuum packed and not exposed to sun light, moisture or hot temperatures will last much longer than the expiration date. Just my life experience guys!

I can(preserve) fish, moose and other game, pickles, and beans to mention a few. Having a jar of corned moose handy for a ruben or a jar of meat for a soup or stew can cut down on time. Jars can be used over and over so the cost savings can be significant. You can jar up stews or other ready to eat items that do not have preservatives/chemicals and are better suited to your taste. For day to day or bugging in this works well. The process is not hard to learn. If you are looking at bugging out the an MRE would certainly weigh less.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back