Home defense pistol with suppressor?

alternety

I recently had to fire outside to deal with a problem with wild animals and the effect on my ears ignited an interest in a home defense pistol with different characteristics than I previously pursued. It has been a long time since I fired anything with naked ears. This reminded me why that was true. I have previously thought about the implications of firing anything significant inside, but this brought it to the fore. It was the basis of not selecting a 12 guage for interior home defense.

I have decided what I need is something very reliable with a very large mag capacity (> 15) that can have a suppressor attached. Able to reliably eat high performance defense ammunition (e.g., assorted hollow points). Most everything I have is 9mm, so that is a reasonable target. I feel this is a happy medium between effectiveness per round and capacity. Please do not go off on an argument about 9mm vs other.

The tricky/limiting part, I think, would be a way to get a suppressor on it.

If you guys could make some suggestions for a pistol with those characteristics I would appreciate it.

I practice with ear protection for the times I won't have ear protection. One's plan for, the other is not.

you can get a threaded barrel for many popular modern semi-autos, glock, h&k, sig, beretta, etc. start with defense loads that are below the speed of sound in your base model selected handgun, try several different kinds to be sure of reliability, then research and find the suppressor you want. im sure there are some here who have done the process and can detail the rest for you.

I unfortunately live in a state where suppressors are a no-no.... that said... for inside the home defense, I welcome anything that will scare the sh#* out of the BG without even being hit....loud is good in my book....somewhat same results as a stun gun as far as getting them off their game long enough for you to take charge :fie:

I unfortunately live in a state where suppressors are a no-no.... that said... for inside the home defense, I welcome anything that will scare the sh#* out of the BG without even being hit....loud is good in my book....somewhat same results as a stun gun as far as getting them off their game long enough for you to take charge :fie:

Loud can be bad say there is more then one BG? BG #1 opens you're door You sit up grab you're pistola BG one down and out. You just fired the gun in you're bedroom and will be deaf for the next 20 min BG #2 coming in the window behind you with a shotgun but you do not hear him!

In WA you can pay for a suppressor but it has to be approved by the Sheriff. I think the county would approve it but I would make sure before buying anything. The sheriff of the closest town has categorically said they will not approve one. Followed by the impression of a clear feeling that the only possible reason for wanting one it to terrorize and participate in horribly illegal activities. I pointed out that some countries require suppressors and explained why one would want to use one. Can you say, disinterested.

In WA you can pay for a suppressor but it has to be approved by the Sheriff. I think the county would approve it but I would make sure before buying anything. The sheriff of the closest town has categorically said they will not approve one. Followed by the impression of a clear feeling that the only possible reason for wanting one it to terrorize and participate in horribly illegal activities. I pointed out that some countries require suppressors and explained why one would want to use one. Can you say, disinterested.

Yes the local Chief/ cleo has to sign off. That said you get a trust and then you do not need a Cleo signoff.

That's federal law, not just WA. Like Maine said, if your CLEO or sheriff refuses to sign off on one though, you can spend about $100 setting up an NFA trust and just purchase the suppressor through that. It eliminates the CLEO requirement and you can call him up and tell him to go F himself with a cactus. The trust option also has several benefits.

In this day and age, you could be perfectly justified defending your family in your own home and if taken to court by an over zealous prosecutor be painted as some "wacko" looking to kill somebody. "Why else would any "normal" person own a silencer?". I don't see anything wrong with it. Just sayin....

In this day and age, you could be perfectly justified defending your family in your own home and if taken to court by an over zealous prosecutor be painted as some "wacko" looking to kill somebody. "Why else would any "normal" person own a silencer?". I don't see anything wrong with it. Just sayin....

Well to save the hearing of them and anybody else in the home. TO be able to communicate with family members IF you needed to fire the weapon in the home. To cut down recoil so you're small wife can shoot a .45 comfortably and be able to stop a BG from raping her or killing her kids.

In the end the adage of being carried by 6 or judged by 12 is still relevant.

SAY WHAT??? I have one and the local PD had absolutely nothing to do with it. I simply went to my local FFL, bought the suppressor, paid 200 to the FED for the tax stamp and waited 6 months for it to arrive. Got my stamp, went to the store and picked up my suppressor. I did the 'Trust' thing, but it didn't cost any extra. King County.

SAY WHAT??? I have one and the local PD had absolutely nothing to do with it. I simply went to my local FFL, bought the suppressor, paid 200 to the FED for the tax stamp and waited 6 months for it to arrive. Got my stamp, went to the store and picked up my suppressor. I did the 'Trust' thing, but it didn't cost any extra. King County.

If you set up your own trust it can be free. If you have a 2A attorney that specializes in NFA it'll cost a few hundred bucks but the trust documents will be airtight. The trust option waives the CLEO requirement which is why you didn't need it.

jcreek says what I also believe is true. When I looked into it there was no reference to the trust approach. From what I read of the statutes,and the meeting with 2 levels of chief LEOs, local LEO has to approve.

I recently had to fire outside to deal with a problem with wild animals and the effect on my ears ignited an interest in a home defense pistol with different characteristics than I previously pursued. It has been a long time since I fired anything with naked ears. This reminded me why that was true. I have previously thought about the implications of firing anything significant inside, but this brought it to the fore. It was the basis of not selecting a 12 guage for interior home defense.

I have decided what I need is something very reliable with a very large mag capacity (> 15) that can have a suppressor attached. Able to reliably eat high performance defense ammunition (e.g., assorted hollow points). Most everything I have is 9mm, so that is a reasonable target. I feel this is a happy medium between effectiveness per round and capacity. Please do not go off on an argument about 9mm vs other.

The tricky/limiting part, I think, would be a way to get a suppressor on it.

If you guys could make some suggestions for a pistol with those characteristics I would appreciate it.

A suppressor is considered a Class III firearm. Yes, I know it's not a firearm, but it is regulated as such. Therefore, find a local Class III dealer in your area that you trust. Find out what is available for the firearm that you have and go through the lengthy process of getting one ($200 tax to BATFE, about a 6 month background check).

Howdy,

Loud can be bad say there is more then one BG? BG #1 opens you're door You sit up grab you're pistola BG one down and out. You just fired the gun in you're bedroom and will be deaf for the next 20 min BG #2 coming in the window behind you with a shotgun but you do not hear him!

Doesn't happen in a high stress situation.

Adrenalin will kick in and your short term hearing will not be affected from the muzzleblast.

It can/will affect your long term hearing.

I guess none of the other posters have fired a gun in combat, in the line of duty or while hunting.

Paul

Howdy,

Doesn't happen in a high stress situation.

Adrenalin will kick in and your short term hearing will not be affected from the muzzleblast.

It can/will affect your long term hearing.

I guess none of the other posters have fired a gun in combat, in the line of duty or while hunting.

Paul

It's called auditory exclusion. But to say, "doesn't happen" is wrong. Everyone is different, some people aren't affected by the noise, others are.

We all will have irreversible damage though with that loud of a sound and being unprotected.

Expensive and wrought with regulations and for what. The one in a million chance you will need it in your home and may have a hearing problem after. What if is always a good comeback on literally anything so I cannot argue with your intent even though I find it a bit much. When I read about people who are interested in a suppressor, very rarely if ever is it the ordinary joe looking to keep his ears healthy; it is usually serious gun enthusiasts and ex-military/LEOs who expend considerable $$ on such equipment.

Expensive and wrought with regulations and for what. The one in a million chance you will need it in your home and may have a hearing problem after. What if is always a good comeback on literally anything so I cannot argue with your intent even though I find it a bit much. When I read about people who are interested in a suppressor, very rarely if ever is it the ordinary joe looking to keep his ears healthy; it is usually serious gun enthusiasts and ex-military/LEOs who expend considerable $$ on such equipment.

I know of several "regular joe" types who are not mil/leo, nor ever been, who did just that. If you have the money, live in a state where its legal, than why not. This is still america.

Sent from my LG-C800 using USA Carry mobile app

A suppressor is considered a Class III firearm. Yes, I know it's not a firearm, but it is regulated as such. Therefore, find a local Class III dealer in your area that you trust. Find out what is available for the firearm that you have and go through the lengthy process of getting one ($200 tax to BATFE, about a 6 month background check).
Nope, sorry it is not. It is a NFA Title II item. Class has nothing to do with it. SOT Class 3 is just the tax level that a Type 01 Dealer pays the BATFE for the privilege of selling NFA Title II items. Other Type dealers/manufacturers/importers pay at different levels of taxes. Yearly tax is $500 for Class 3 SOT, $1000 for a Class 2 SOT, and $1000 for a Class 1 SOT payable by July 1 every year. Reduced rates for Class 1 & 2 are also available if the importer or manufacturer sell less than $500,000 per year gross, which also bring them down to a $500 a year tax level. But they are still Class 1 or 2 SOT tax payers. None of this changes the status of the suppressor being a NFA Title II Item. And FFL manufacturers and importers can sell those NFA Title II items just like a dealer does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back