Holsters

Bob R

Back in 1974 our local Liquor Store had a Bianchi Holster Rack that was well stocked. It was a circular rack with holsters hanging all the way around it. I started carrying handguns in Bianchi Leather Holsters. I still have several of my original ones from the 1970's for guns like the 4" K Frame S&W, 4" N Frame S&W and 5" 1911. I have an N Frame Cross Draw, Cyclone, and a X15 for 6.5" N S&W's. Several different guns have been used in the holsters, but I have kept these holsters all these years, and I have added to them over the years. To me a high quality holster for my handguns is a requirement.

I am around lots of people who carry handguns today. I am continually surprised at how many people carry in low quality, sloppy fit nylon holsters. Their idea of a good holster would be a formed plastic one. I realize the economy makes spare dollars pretty scarce. I would think a $600 handgun would rate a quality, made to fit holster.

What are your thoughts and observations on this?

Bob R

I've had a couple of X-15s myself. The holster itself is decent, maybe better'n decent even, but not having any way to carry extra mags (or speed loaders as the case may be) in the same rig is a deficiency that I just decided I couldn't live with. I prefer leather, especially in a shoulder rig, so I went to a variation of the original Jackass rig that was being imported from Russia back maybe 10 years ago now. It was ridiculously cheap, but very well-made nonetheless, so I don't regret the purchase at all. Still use it when I carry concealed (mostly only when I dip 30 miles South into Florida), but open carry the overwhelming majority of the time nowadays.

I also use a Bianchi "Snaplok" belt holster at times. It's also leather.

I have a Bianchi military-style holster that attaches to a drop-leg platform, the model number of which I don't recall, but I don't use it very often unless it's so cold that I have to wear a longer heavy jacket that it needs to drop below in order to open carry it, which was the case several days over the last couple of weeks, but which generally is very rare around here (far-Southeastern corner of AL). That one is made out of canvas or Denier or whatever, but definitely doesn't fall into the category of a low-quality, sloppy-fit nylon holster. It just ain't leather.

I also have hybrid IWB holsters made by a couple of other manufacturers, as well as a couple of full-on Kydex belt holsters. The Snaplok gets the most use I reckon, but they all get used here and there depending on what I need to wear when leaving the homestead. Lightweight dress pants make one of the hybrids a better choice, but blue jeans with a heavy gun belt is my usual wardrobe choice, and the Snaplok works fine most of the time. The Jackass knock-off for when I have to cover up, but it's still cool enough that being married to a cover garment won't turn me into a walking talking puddle of sweat.

It's a pretty much to each his own consideration for me. I don't think the price of the gun dictates what it "rates" to be honest. It's what my own needs, wants and desires "rate" that I take into consideration. Inanimate objects rate nothing from me. If someone were to ask me what they should get, I definitely would not recommend anything with a sloppy fit, no matter who's maker's mark is on it, but folks who ask are free to disregard my recommendations as they see fit, so it's not something I think about much. Bianchi is cool with me though, as are several other makes.

Blues

I have Galco CMs (80$ each?) fit for my M&P 9 and my Glock 19 and a 120$ Kramer custom for my 4006 and to be truthful I prefer the Galcos. The leather on the Galco feels thicker to me.

Kramer gets the nod for customer service though. They actually called me before they boned the holster to ask if I carried with the safety on or off (TDA) so they could bone it for that.

I carry my reloads in the same Bianchi triple threat(20$?) magazine pouch I wore at work and my Multitool in the same Bianchi Accumold (20$?) I wore at work.

I don't like Kydex and I don't like cheap one size (kinda) fits all holsters. The Kydex thing is just my preference. There's nothing wrong with a quality Kydex holster I just don't like them. I absolutely despise those cheap Uncle Mike's clip on IWBs.

JMO but if you're going to open carry you need at least a level 2 retention holster and any holster you use should be stiff enough that you can reholster with one hand without looking if necessary.

I have Galco CMs (80$ each?) fit for my M&P 9 and my Glock 19 and a 120$ Kramer custom for my 4006 and to be truthful I prefer the Galcos. The leather on the Galco feels thicker to me.

Kramer gets the nod for customer service though. They actually called me before they boned the holster to ask if I carried with the safety on or off (TDA) so they could bone it for that.

I carry my reloads in the same Bianchi triple threat(20$?) magazine pouch I wore at work and my Multitool in the same Bianchi Accumold (20$?) I wore at work.

I don't like Kydex and I don't like cheap one size (kinda) fits all holsters. The Kydex thing is just my preference. There's nothing wrong with a quality Kydex holster I just don't like them. I absolutely despise those cheap Uncle Mike's clip on IWBs.

JMO but if you're going to open carry you need at least a level 2 retention holster and any holster you use should be stiff enough that you can reholster with one hand without looking if necessary.
It's all personal preference and a well made holster will be more than enough passive retention when carrying concealed. I do have a level 2 for my G22 as it has migrated from its habitat on a couple of occasions (using the head) while using a passive holster but I don't EDC it. If you're a LEO you'll likely want or be required to have an additional level of retention.

If you've been around firearms long enough and especially CC then you'll likely have a few holsters for each firearm and they seem to multiply like rabbits.

It's all personal preference and a well made holster will be more than enough passive retention when carrying concealed.

I didn't say anything about needing retention for concealed carry

JMO but if you're going to open carry you need at least a level 2 retention holster

If you've been around firearms long enough and especially CC then you'll likely have a few holsters for each firearm and they seem to multiply like rabbits.

It's been my experience that the longer I've been around firearms the fewer holsters I have. I have 4 handguns and 6 holsters.

I didn't say anything about needing retention for concealed carry

It's been my experience that the longer I've been around firearms the fewer holsters I have. I have 4 handguns and 6 holsters.
I was speaking to various outlooks and points on retention overall. That was it.

I know how concerned for my safety you are, so just to put your mind at ease, both the Bianchi Snaplok and military-style holsters I referred to for open carry, are indeed Level II. LOL

Blues, the Galcos and the one Kydex that I use are also level II. And they are both IWB types. The retention straps keep the firearms from falling out when you bend over as my firearms are heavy and would slide out of most other types.

Negative. Just drafting on your retention points you made.

My bad

Although I do find that I have fewer holsters as I go because I've found what works for me. I don't expect to have to replace any of my holsters in my life time. But if I do I'll just buy duplicates of what I have. Except the Kramer (which my grandkids will probably still be using.

I couldn't care less who, what, when or how you carry dude.

LOL. Yeah, I know, that's why I placed an "LOL" at the end of the post. You are quite predictable, thus why both the thought of you caring about my safety, and your reaction here to that thought, are funny to me. Thanks for the unintentional comedy, dude. LOL

Blues, the Galcos and the one Kydex that I use are also level II. And they are both IWB types. The retention straps keep the firearms from falling out when you bend over as my firearms are heavy and would slide out of most other types.

Yeah, I need Level II for a couple of reasons - 1) because I open carry and, 2) because I open carry on a motorcycle quite often. In either case I don't want the gun falling out due to gravity or a simple tug on the butt from behind. The only one riding on the bike behind me is my wife, so you can understand my concern there! LOL

BluesStringer I have never carried in the X15 much over the years either. I keep it for that once in a while when I want to carry my 6" GP100. I carry it in a leather lined kydex Garret some also when going afield in my ATV. The Garret was purchased as my ICORE competition holster originally. It had an issue that I could not live with for competition carry, In a hurry if you pulled at an angle the gun would lock up in the holster. I replaced it with a competition Safariland and now use the Garret for days when I decide to carry the 6" GP100 for some reason.
I have a couple or three BlackHawk Surpas for my 5" Colt 1911. Different color ones. I believe I have a Coyote Tan, Green, and possibly a Black one. Back when I was Police Chief I open carried in them quite a bit.
I do have a couple $15 holsters. I am surprised that I do not see them used more. The Glock Sport holster. They are made so that you can open up the belt loops from 1.5" to 2" easily. They have pretty fair retention. I believe I have 3 of them. One with 1.5" belt loop size, one with 2" belt loop size for my Eagle web belts, and a third with IWB belt clips added.
I still have quite a bit of Rafter S in Black Shark skin from 20 years ago. When carrying my 1911 the Rafter S Askins Avenger style holster and Double magazine pouch would be my most used holster. I have a couple Handcuff Cases, several Single Magazine Carriers, Mace Carrier, Flash Light Carriers, and some revolver holsters in Shark.
I have had two great local holster makers. Hicks, and RockyHill. Both ended up working so many hours at their full time job that they quit making holsters. They could not make enough money making holsters for that to be the full time job paying the bills.

Bob R

OP, I also find it mind-boggling that individuals that will shell out $500 - $1,000 dollars for a weapon will stick it in some cheap, universal nylon holster and away they go. Having said that, and also not being a lottery winner, I need to get the most bang for my buck when I do buy a holster. Being a single dad to two teenage boys, I can't afford to drop $150 - $400 a pop on holsters, then add in belts, mag pouches, etc. I do have a couple of shoulder rigs I've gotten over the years but now mostly use a strong-side OWB type for my carry needs. Most of the ones I have now are either a hybrid kydex/leather or complete leather rig, with price usually staying somewhere in the $85 - $120 range. I have found quite a few manufacturers that make a good quality product in that price range.

Thank you! So far only maintained it for about an hour and it was pretty relaxed. Couldn't even tell I was dressed in anything while I was sitting down. My greatest thing right now is I require a good gun belt. I use a fairly stiff nylon belt but it still sags. I also found out that this holster will work as a Link Removed as well which I really like. Catches on the pocket and stays in pocket as I draw.

I've used a Kydex one but my first one broke within a month. I got a replacement one but I haven't used it yet out of fear it will just break right away again. Switched to using a IWB leather holster which my S&M M&P Shield 9MM fits snugly into

Just ordered my Sig P365 after hunting for one for the past 6 months. I just found it. Eureka! Anyway, I’m a pocket-carrying type of guy. I’m seeking a pocket holster for the Sig. Any suggestions? I have a Vedder that I use for my S&W Shield. They make a nice kydex holster.

Just ordered my Sig P365 after hunting for one for the past 6 months. I just found it. Eureka! Anyway, I’m a pocket-carrying type of guy. I’m seeking a pocket holster for the Sig. Any suggestions? I have a Vedder that I use for my S&W Shield. They make a nice kydex holster.
Try DeSantis Nemesis. I have one for my 938 and they make a 365 version.

The Place to Be

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back