Here is a scenario for you.....

KimberPB

I had lunch with an old co-worker and friend that I've worked with at two different companies. Well, she asks if I could take for shooting and show her how to use her newly purchased firearm. I said sure not a problem that I'd be happy to. I then asked why she had decided to get it. Here is her story......

First a little background info. She had been dating this guy for awhile and thing just were not working. So around 18 months ago she broke it off, kicked him out, changed all the lock, and had gotten a restraining order.

Well, she went on a month long vacation/cruise just recently. The vacation was over and after driving 13 hours she finally made it home tied and ready to get some sleep. She opened the door but it did not open completely and she smelt a strong odor, like starter fluid. She leaned in to see what was in the way when she was grabbed and thrown to the ground. Her 6'+ 200lbs ex was there waiting for her. Later she found out that he had broken in and had been living there for two weeks waiting for her to come home. He jumped on top of her covering her nose and mouth with a rag soaked in some kind of ether, starter fluid, ect. She was able to get one arm free and clawed at the rag ripping it so she could breathe. He then grabbed her and drug her over to a paper bag were he pulled out another rag. Luckily she was able to fight that off a second time. At this point the POS Ex pulls out duct tape and a ball gag. First attempting to us the ball gag then falling back on the duct tape when that didn’t work. Luckily, by this time she was getting sweaty from fighting that the tape didn’t stick. At this point the EX POS grabs her shirt and pulls it up over her head, using it to cut off her breathing. She said she thought it was over and thought maybe if she just played dead he'd get off her. She went limp causing the ex to freak out and start apologizing. He helped her up said he was sorry but hung around talking with her for a few more hours. Then told her he knew she was going to call the cops and to tell them he had a gun and was not going to jail. Then left.

Things could have been much worse for her. The ex was found later and has plead guilty, now awaiting sentencing. The judge did cap it at 15 years so I think she said it'll be something between 48 month and 15 years. She seems to be doing fine now and I plan on taking her to the range until she feels comfortable and capable with her firearm. I'm also trying to get her into a permit class so she can get her permit. So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Also, stay safe out there. When you see those little things that just don't seem right. Trust that little voice in your head. It may just save your life.

Along with basic firearms training, she should get some advanced training. A "Refuse To Be A Victim" class would be a good start. I'm assuming that she will be taking some sort of CC class as required by FL law to get her CC license?

Glad to see that she survived the attack and the POS is in jail, where he belongs. Be sure to emphasize to her that merely owning a gun and knowing how to shoot is not all that is required to "be safe". She will have to be in the mental mindset to "squeeze the trigger" should the need ever arise. Lacking the ability to actually fire upon her attacker will put her in more danger than her not having a firearm.

Best wishes for her!

gf

She's indeed a lucky lady as it could have gone much worse. Regular trips to the range as you plan on doing and an advanced NRA certified course as GlockFan recommends are both great ideas. She may want to get some personal counseling for post traumatic stress also. I wish her the best.

Sounds like your friend kept her head in a bad situation and outsmarted the POS. She did good!

Good luck to her and Practice, Practice and more Practice...The POS will get out of jail sometime and after several years of being Bubba's girlfreind he may come back for revenge. She should make sure she is notified when this guy gets out of the slammer and slap a restraining order on him on his way out of the pen.

Steve

I had lunch with an old co-worker and friend that I've worked with at two different companies. Well, she asks if I could take for shooting and show her how to use her newly purchased firearm. I said sure not a problem that I'd be happy to. I then asked why she had decided to get it. Here is her story......

First a little background info. She had been dating this guy for awhile and thing just were not working. So around 18 months ago she broke it off, kicked him out, changed all the lock, and had gotten a restraining order.

Well, she went on a month long vacation/cruise just recently. The vacation was over and after driving 13 hours she finally made it home tied and ready to get some sleep. She opened the door but it did not open completely and she smelt a strong odor, like starter fluid. She leaned in to see what was in the way when she was grabbed and thrown to the ground. Her 6'+ 200lbs ex was there waiting for her. Later she found out that he had broken in and had been living there for two weeks waiting for her to come home. He jumped on top of her covering her nose and mouth with a rag soaked in some kind of ether, starter fluid, ect. She was able to get one arm free and clawed at the rag ripping it so she could breathe. He then grabbed her and drug her over to a paper bag were he pulled out another rag. Luckily she was able to fight that off a second time. At this point the POS Ex pulls out duct tape and a ball gag. First attempting to us the ball gag then falling back on the duct tape when that didn’t work. Luckily, by this time she was getting sweaty from fighting that the tape didn’t stick. At this point the EX POS grabs her shirt and pulls it up over her head, using it to cut off her breathing. She said she thought it was over and thought maybe if she just played dead he'd get off her. She went limp causing the ex to freak out and start apologizing. He helped her up said he was sorry but hung around talking with her for a few more hours. Then told her he knew she was going to call the cops and to tell them he had a gun and was not going to jail. Then left.

Things could have been much worse for her. The ex was found later and has plead guilty, now awaiting sentencing. The judge did cap it at 15 years so I think she said it'll be something between 48 month and 15 years. She seems to be doing fine now and I plan on taking her to the range until she feels comfortable and capable with her firearm. I'm also trying to get her into a permit class so she can get her permit. So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Also, stay safe out there. When you see those little things that just don't seem right. Trust that little voice in your head. It may just save your life.

If this woman's new firearm is of center fire, and she is a novice, I suggest starting her on a .22 pistol first.

My take is on the assult, is, even if the woman had open carried a .357 she would of been overpowered.

The point I am trying to make is, if something in your surroundings is not right, back out into safety. The smell could of been something like leaking gas, and if she used her cell phone, or was one of them smokers, kaboom.

When we go out, and re-enter our home, the first thing we look for is the dog. If he is not right, then something is wrong. That is before we even hit the key pad on the alarm panel.

Regarding the ex-boyfriend, it is indeed a shame he did not choose sucide by cop.

In Ohio we have what is called a Temporary Emergency License for just such a situation. Or an extraordinary situation. You should see if Florida has one of these. The cost is nominal and it is issued right then and there. Hope your friend doesn't have any more problems.:pleasantry:

You might suggest a book for her as well.... The Gift of Fear.

She should have paid attention to her feeling of unease over the smell...

I think it's great that you are taking her to the range.... to get her started... if she can afford fromal classes, I hope she would attend.

Along with basic firearms training, she should get some advanced training. A "Refuse To Be A Victim" class would be a good start. I'm assuming that she will be taking some sort of CC class as required by FL law to get her CC license?

Glad to see that she survived the attack and the POS is in jail, where he belongs. Be sure to emphasize to her that merely owning a gun and knowing how to shoot is not all that is required to "be safe". She will have to be in the mental mindset to "squeeze the trigger" should the need ever arise. Lacking the ability to actually fire upon her attacker will put her in more danger than her not having a firearm.

Best wishes for her!

gf

She's indeed a lucky lady as it could have gone much worse. Regular trips to the range as you plan on doing and an advanced NRA certified course as GlockFan recommends are both great ideas. She may want to get some personal counseling for post traumatic stress also. I wish her the best.

Thanks guys. I've taken several classes from Beginner up through Advance Tactics so I should be able to give her a good starting foundation. I figured she'll feel more comfortable with someone she knows at first. After she feels comfortable with gun safety and the basics, grip, stance, ect. I'll suggest she continue her training from other instructors. I am going to try and get her into a permit class as soon as possible though.

In Ohio we have what is called a Temporary Emergency License for just such a situation. Or an extraordinary situation. You should see if Florida has one of these. The cost is nominal and it is issued right then and there. Hope your friend doesn't have any more problems.:pleasantry:

I'll have to ask around and see if they have something like that here. Florida has good turn aroun with 7 to 14 days being average. Since the POS is in prison even if they don't she'll be good way before he gets out.

You might suggest a book for her as well.... The Gift of Fear.

She should have paid attention to her feeling of unease over the smell...

I think it's great that you are taking her to the range.... to get her started... if she can afford fromal classes, I hope she would attend.

Thanks oakchas I've never read that book so I'll have to look into it and maybe get her a copy.

I know the training you have gotten from me and the training you have gotten over the years she is lucky to have you for the help she needs. When she goes to get even more training you may ask to go along just for support. That may make her fell better. What is it with you and I and some of the lades we hag with LOL:pleasantry:

Thanks guys. I've taken several classes from Beginner up through Advance Tactics so I should be able to give her a good starting foundation. I figured she'll feel more comfortable with someone she knows at first. After she feels comfortable with gun safety and the basics, grip, stance, ect. I'll suggest she continue her training from other instructors. I am going to try and get her into a permit class as soon as possible though.

I'll have to ask around and see if they have something like that here. Florida has good turn aroun with 7 to 14 days being average. Since the POS is in prison even if they don't she'll be good way before he gets out.

Thanks oakchas I've never read that book so I'll have to look into it and maybe get her a copy.

I commend your efforts to educate the woman and see that you have firearms training. With that being said, sometimes our good intentions aren't necessarily what's best for a beginner to firearms. A good example would be a professional golfer teaching a newbie. Not all "pros" make good teachers. You may have excellent personal skills, but for whatever reason, the "student" won't be receptive to your training techniques, or you might overlook something. As a firearms trainer, I often team up with other trainers to ensure that we provide the best possible training.

I understand that your friend may be more comfortable learning from someone she knows versus a professional instructor. In your situation, it isn't as bad as if it were a husband teaching a wife, boyfriend teaching girlfriend, etc., however there still exists the possibility that she will be afraid to ask a question or might not get the "full experience" because she might be embarrassed or intimidated.

In a lot of cases, "cost" is often cited as a reason for people wanting to learn from family and friends. Being a member of a group of instructors, I often train for family members of other instructors, and the do the same for me. One example would be why many doctors won't treat family members as their "patients".

Going to the range with you and learning the "basics" from a trusted friend like you would be a good start. Taking a class or a few classes from professionals can't hurt.

I'm glad that you are willing to step up and help your friend with her situation. I wish there were more people out there like yourself. I'm sure there are instructors in your area that would offer their services to your friend at a discount if cost is a key deciding factor. I often offer discounted classes for students and victims of violent attacks (both male and female) on a regular basis.

Good luck to you and your friend. Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance. Happy shooting!

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back