Help a big man conceal.

drewoufan

I'm a big guy and new to concealed carry. I'm quickly seeing that its not easy to find a way to conceal a gun that is comfy. If there are any big guys out there that have some extra lbs that have and suggestions I would be greatful! I own a 1911 Rock Island 5" .45 and a SCCY 9mm. I love my RI but I know its a bit big for concealed. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Though my carry piece is a bit shorter and wider than a 1911, I'm a pretty big guy and I carry at about 3:30-4:00. I made my own holster, but it's a simple pancake holster which carries the gun at something like a 75 degree angle. Maybe not even that steep - just not quite pointed straight at the ground.

It keeps the grip pulled in tight to my body, and it sits far enough back that it doesn't really interfere with the flab hanging over my pockets. But it's still far enough to the side that I don't sit on it either.

I am also a fairly large guy and I carry the Armscor-High Standard 1911. I use a shoulder Holster (Galco Miami classic style). Remember that if you go cheap on your rig you will pay for it in terms of comfort and ergonomics. I also wear really big shirts to cover it when I wear my outside the waistband BLACKHAWK! Serpa holster.

I'm 6'3 240 and I quickly learned iwb holsters just don't work for me. I now open carry but the only way I could conceal comfortably was pocket, ankle and OWB with my shirt over it. I never tried the expensive ones like galco, you might wanna try that

I also occasionally have my petite wife walk around on my "dark-side" with a flame thrower... the looks on the attackers faces is priceless!

I'm 5'7, 250, and conceal a fullsize M&P 9mm in a Blackhawk Serpa Holster canted forward, at the 3 o clock position. With a spare mag at the 8 o' clock position. All I wear are a size bigger button up dress shirt or zip up sweater. Works well for me!

Another fat man here, Springfield Professional at three o clock in one of my holsters.

Here's a lefty I just finished.

282eyat.jpg

I have a 42" waist and use this Kholster with my Taurus 709 Slim daily as shown in the photo. I also have a Crossbreed holster, but I found the Kholster to be more comfortable (for me) due to its larger surface area I guess. The Crossbreed would dig into my skin at times and I always knew it was there. I normally do not even feel this Kholster. Just my opinion folks. I must add that Crossbreed has incredible customer service and treated me as though my holster purchase was very important to them.

Link Removed

Awesome guys! Thanks for the input and keel them coming! Im researching each suggestion and working towards a solution for my problem. You folks are terrific!

I'm 6' 2", 350 lbs. I carry my 9mm compact one of three ways - small of the back (Ready Holster IWB), pocket, or fanny pack. My .40 full size is small of the back carried in a Ready Holster IWB.

I'm a big guy and new to concealed carry. I'm quickly seeing that its not easy to find a way to conceal a gun that is comfy. If there are any big guys out there that have some extra lbs that have and suggestions I would be greatful! I own a 1911 Rock Island 5" .45 and a SCCY 9mm. I love my RI but I know its a bit big for concealed. Any input would be great! Thanks!

OK- I'll go ahead and be "that guy". The best way to help you conceal is to hit the gym. Seriously. Take it from a guy who's been there. It's the best thing you'll ever do for yourself. Are you sick of sweating your arse off while just sitting there every summer? Are you sick of getting out of breath walking up a flight of stairs? I was too. Shed the fat and your conceal options will double....

I'm 6'3", about 235 lbs., and I have no problem concealing a full size Glock 22 and 2 spare mags. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. A buddy of mine is a bit smaller framed, but carrying a bit more weight around the middle. He regularly carries a full size 1911 and two spare mags, also using a Crossbreed Supertuck. Everyone's body shape is a little different, but if you haven't tried the Crossbreed, I recommend it. It makes the gun you would really rather carry comfortable enough to carry all the time. And concealability is truly a matter of proper wardrobe.

Right now I use a Galco Royal Guard with full size Kimber 1911 at 3 o'clock. Non winter weather I carry S&W M&P 45 Compact in Galco Summer Comfort (Glock 21) at 3 o'clock. Though I have Tucker Gunleather "the Answer" on order. It's a hybrid kydex leather holster. Similar to Crossbreed, Kholster, and Comp-tac.

I use a Blue Stone Safety Products Belly Band to carry concealed. Usually carry a Hi-Point C9, but sometimes my Hi-Point .45. Either one fits the band and it has spaces for six spare magazines, although I only use two of them. Went to a 2XL shirt instead of just XL.

Anytime I try a new IWB holster, or new location on my waistline for concealing there is an adjustment period. There may or may not be soreness in spots that are not used to having the gun against them. After a few days there is no discomfort, and it feels natural. Get a good holster, determine a comfortable and effective draw position, and let your body adjust.

I liken it to putting your wallet in the opposite back pocket. It feels weird for a couple days, and then you don't even notice it.

I'm only 5'8" tall (195 lbs) and If I can comfortably conceal carry my Glock then you shouldn't have any real problem i.m.h.o.
It takes some getting used to, but with a little practice anyone can comfortably conceal a sidearm.
Try out either; the Crossbreed SuperTuck or the Galco KingTuk IWB Holsters with a slightly larger sized pair of pants and slightly longer belt.
Both holsters have worked out very well for me.
Good luck and stay safe.

The full size 1911 might be heavy, but it is, in my opinion, one of the easiest to pistols conceal.
IWB Crossbreed ST. 5' 11" - 225. Good belt and a size larger pant.
YMMV

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back