Have you open carried?

Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I have OC'd for the past 2 years in CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM, & WY. I travel including overnight park in truck stops, Walmarts, and campgrounds a lot and many times well "off the grid" to be able to request help from anyone. I hike in National Parks and National Forests and in my 3 years of hiking have hiked within 100 meters of 3 different bears.

I was using the rest-area in NM when a LEO came up beside me in the other urinal. Just as we were leaving the restroom he asked "what are your carrying?" and we had a pleasant conversation about what we both carry on a daily basis.

I have had only a single citizen say anything to me about it but only in passing. Only a single business in CO has ever asked me to "leave the gun in the car" in which I replied "this customer leaves with it" and I did without any further discussion.

The two hardest people to convince about carrying at all was my wife and my mother, both of which stopped resisting after the Aurora, CO theater shooting.

I now have a CO CCW just in time to be able to put a jacket on this winter. It is not easy OC'ing in the winter so I finally filed for CCW specifically for the winters.

yes i do like it. it's more comfortable and provides better access. and i don't agree with concealed carry having a "element of surprise" either. i carry everywhere it's legal and try to stay out of where it's not, but i can't convince my wife of the reasons why to not go there. walmart is mostly where i go, but i have also been to restaurants the dollerstore and other everyday trips like the gas station. NEVER had any confrentation with any LEO's(at least in uniform). while one hispanic father non vocally asked me to cover it up because he had a child:jester: another who looked like an off duty cop who kindly let me know it was uncovered. and one fat and crazy hobo looking dude who insisted that I was not carrying 3-pointed:nono: For the most part... i don't think a lot of people notice except at the cashout stand. some go to a different one like it'll make them any safer, some like to start a random conversationabout anything or about the gun.

Open carry every day.

I carry my sidearm openly everywhere I go. I do get some dirty looks from people but I don't really care. I get more people curious about why I'm carrying or inquiring about rights they didn't know they have. I'm more than happy to help explain things to them and they're happy finding out they have every right to open carry as well even without a CPL.

I have had a Concealed Carry for over 25 years started open carry everywhere over two year ago. I have riding a motorcycle across NV, UT and AZ stopping in every restraints and gas station with it on my hip. Never any issues. A few dumb comments and some looks. It is more comfortable, people are more polite with it open, they say excuse me when wanting by, I do not get any carp or people trying to take cuts in the crowed checkout lines.

I usually cc but have oc'd. When i do cc I don't usually worry to much if I print as Ohio is oc.

I have never had anyone other than my wife tell me I'm printing and noone has ever said anything when oc.

I'm totally serious. Even accidental printing could get you in trouble here. I wish MA was an open carry state

You'd go crazy if you were down here. I OC most always when out and about and virtually never have any negative encounters. I say virtually never because I did have one in August '09 at a McDonald's. The guy claimed he was a retired LEO but judging from his accent, he was not from Virginia. Probably somewhere up in the northeast.

Massachusetts is not a traditional open carry state, but it is not a crime for Class A License holders to open carry.
Link Removed

You'd go crazy if you were down here. I OC most always when out and about and virtually never have any negative encounters. I say virtually never because I did have one in August '09 at a McDonald's. The guy claimed he was a retired LEO but judging from his accent, he was not from Virginia. Probably somewhere up in the northeast.

I've seen a youtube video of an encounter like you described. ;-)

I've seen a youtube video of an encounter like you described. ;-)

There are many youtube videos out there of encounters with police but I can't recall seeing on with another civilian. Oops, yes I do recall one a while back in Lorton, VA which is in Fairfax County. It was at a fast food, or simple, restaurant which was along the route 95 corridor. The antagonists were all from up north and were clearly upset and appalled that someone could openly carry a handgun into such an establishment.... or anywhere for that matter.

One of the things I find both interesting and curious is website comments on from people when the topic of open carry comes up. Many have said that if the police see you doing this, you're almost assured of at least being handcuffed and more than likely thrown to the ground with a knee in your back. What these folks fail to take into consideration is the fact that there are many parts of the country where this ain't gonna happen. They are looking at situations through their tainted and prejudiced eyes. I can tell you that this is something we just don't see here in Virginia because if we did, there would be hell to pay. We'd be all over the officer(s) in question as well as their department. Our police, local and state, have been pretty well educated in these things and leave us alone when they see us armed.

Heck, our most active gun rights organization in the state has its monthly meetings in my area in a police precinct where it is quite common for around 100 openly armed folks to be present. We even lobby our state legislators in the capital once a year while fully and openly armed as we visit them in their offices. I've approached LEO's while in their squad cars, standing on sidewalks, been next to them in stores and restaurants, local town functions, and most other normal day-to-day activities and have never had a problem while openly armed. We just don't see it here.

Door host got nervous in Dicks Sporting Goods

I OC almost every day, I have been in Dicks Sporting Goods many times, this time they had a young lady at the door greeting and I was wearing a tactical holster this time. She said your wearing a gun, I said I am totally legal, nothing to be worried about. she got on her radio headset and called the director or manager. Then she said go ahead and apologized. I then went on my way to the hunting dept. After I talked and educated her first. I had a nice discussion with the gun dept clerk he and I talked for 15 min. About OC because he heard the girl on his radio.

So The Electric Man said:

It's not a crime. But most likely you'd be arrested and lose your ltc around here. Bit it's legal?

So where are you ("AROUND HERE") that you think it's likely that you'd be arrested and lose your LTC ?!?

Inquiring minds want to know....

So The Electric Man said:

So where are you ("AROUND HERE") that you think it's likely that you'd be arrested and lose your LTC ?!?

Inquiring minds want to know....

I'm from Massachusetts and its totally legal to open carry. As long as no one sees it. :) cuz you'll get arrested

I'm from Massachusetts and its totally legal to open carry. As long as no one sees it. :) cuz you'll get arrested

Yes, sometimes with ignorant law enforcement it is a question of how much hassle, and possibly expense, to which you want to submit. Varies by jurisdiction, obviously. I open carry in SW Ohio ~1x/3 mos. The reason is that, when I went through my CCW training in Colorado Springs, CO (Paul Paradis) one of the instructors said, "The best way to lose a right is to never exercise it." Now, it's a Glock model 22, and not an AR-10 I'm carrying so I don't get hassled. Then again, I can't ever recall having encountered LE folks while carrying here...

Picked up some tile Tuesday at Lowes.

Picked up prescription and groceries at Krogers yesterday. Deputy sheriff drove by as I was entering Krogers.

Carry on...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back