handgun sale help

glockcarry

I am from Iowa and would like to sell one of my handguns to a friend that lives in Wisconsin. Do I need to go threw a ffl or can my buddy just co
E to Iowa and do the sale face to face? What information besides the gun and serial number should I get from him? Help on this would be great thanks.

This is exactly why you do not get your legal advice off the internet. There are at least 2 respondants to this thread who are fixing to get you in all kinds of trouble because they are ignorant.

You may not transfer a handgun across state lines unless you do the transfer through an FFL

Im pretty sure you don't need to go through an ffl for a private sale just do a bill of sale

Private sale between two people as long as it's face to face. good to go.

Link Removed

He did say face ti face .that would be ok wouldn't it

Two separate felonies would be commited, one by the buyer and one by the seller. 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5). If you don't know the law, may I suggest, perhaps, refraining from making comments that will send people to jail.

18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides

He did say face ti face .that would be ok wouldn't it

Only if you want the taxpayers to pay for your housing and food for the next few years. In many states there is no problem with sale between private people if they all are residents of the same state. Once you have parties who are residents of different states you can't just transfer the gun. Once buyer provides the money, the seller must send it (non-USPS if both sender and recipient are not FFLs) to a FFL in the seller's state where it can be legally transferred.

No problem selling to an out of state person, just don't transfer to that individual.

Once buyer provides the money, the seller must send it (non-USPS if both sender and recipient are not FFLs) to a FFL in the seller's state where it can be legally transferred.

No problem selling to an out of state person, just don't transfer to that individual.

Rifles and shotguns can be mailed via USPS by non-FFLs. Handguns must be shipped/delivered to an FFL in the BUYER'S state of residence for transfer. Rifles and Shotguns can be transferred to the buyer by almost any FFL, so long as the state laws of both the FFL and the buyer are followed.

At no time did I ask for help sending to him, why are u posting up on how to mail it?

For the same reason you are being an a$$hat. I find it interesting that instead of saying thank you for posting the Federal violations that you would commit by selling face-to-face without an FFL, instead you choose to only whine and complain at having to read two extra posts (now three, counting this one).

For the same reason you are being an a$$hat. I find it interesting that instead of saying thank you for posting the Federal violations that you would commit by selling face-to-face without an FFL, instead you choose to only whine and complain at having to read two extra posts (now three, counting this one).

Um...wow. Yeah....

Mister OP, sir, he's telling you how to SEND or MAIL it because that's the LEGAL way to do. You've got to do the transaction through a Federal Firearms Licensee, i.e. a gun store.

True, you could go meet your friend, and you sure wouldn't be the first person in the world to do it, but it would be illegal, so the consequences are all yours.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back