Guys On The Hi-Point Forum Love Their Guns - Could They Be Right?

mistergus75

My first gun was a Hi-Point C9, I sold it fairly quickly, due to the negative comments about it. It did jam on me some (break-in period?), but I really didn't have it long enough to have any real experience about its reliability. Now I have a couple of XDs, as well as a snub-nose .38.

I've seen plenty of Hi-Point bashing, but just found a Hi-Point forum. It's almost heartwarming to see how those Hi-Point owners stick up for their guns.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Got me to thinking about the Ford Edsel. It was laughed at when it came out, but today is a real collectors item.

Could it be that Hi-Points are actually good guns?

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting another Hi-Point C9, just so I could build some personal experience with it. It would always be the "ugly sister" of my collection, and I would never use it for concealed carry (at least until it proved itself), but who knows, it might grow on me.

Those guys seem to love them.

There is a "gun snob" thread going around on this or another forum and it works both ways. Those with the less expensive, so-called non-professional firearms tell you it is great and belittle those with the very expensive so-called professional firearms and vice versa. Bottom line--you like it, it works, you're happy and content and feel that it is reliable thru thick and thin--have at it, whether it is $100 or $1000. You should keep in mind, however, that there is the old adage about getting your money's worth and it is up to you as the purchaser and owner to do your due diligence and listen to people you trust who are knowledgeable before you hang your future on whatever you decide to CC.

I started the gun snob thread. Mainly because of a few local gunships that won't even look at you if your not asking for a Gun that isn't $1000+. I own lower and upper end guns and see no reason why anyone should be frowned upon for their choice of firearm or what firearm is in their price range. That being said. I have friends that own Hi-Point pistols and they enjoy them! And have had no problems whatsoever. I've shot these guns and they shoot well and are fun just a bit heavy and bulky. Those are the only downfalls I see besides being ugly. Lol. I own a Hi-Point Carbine and its the funnest gun I own! Never a problem with it! So do what you want and see if the rumours are true or not. Find a used one and you won't be out much and let us know how it ends up.

Most people on the Obama forum love him.......does that mean you're gonna vote for him in November??

Go ahead and buy a Hi-Point....it's your life, not mine. But if you're not willing to pony-up another $50-80 to buy a Kel-Tec, Ruger, or even a Taurus (I can't believe I'm saying that!) then you might be better off using your money to take a couple of basic unarmed self-defense courses.

There are a few friends that have them. As backup guns for their vehicles. Any gun that might save your life if needed is a good gun. Even a Block.:biggrin:

There is also Prison Talk Online for those that love their sex offenders, murderers, and rapists. Could it be that they are right as well?

They are what they are, a good basic firearm. Good for the Tool/Tackle/Glove Box.

I like them for another reason. Two years ago, my wife wanted to purchase a handgun. I owned a few 22's and a shotgun but was definitely not a member of the gun culture. I was neutral on the 2nd amendment (one of those, "In favor of the 2nd Amendment, but we need sensible regulations" people).

While at the LGS; we found a Hi Points. We bought her one and the price was so good, I bought myself one as well. We fell in love with the sport. I now have several high end handguns, rifles, and shotguns. My kids (I have 5) all know how to shoot and their favorite activity with Dad is a visit to the range. I have my CCW License, NRA Membership, Gun Club Membership, and am a NRA Certified RSO. I am now 100% pro-second amendment.

However, if my early membership dues to the gun culture was $400 or $500 each (for a total of $800 to a $1000) I would have passed. At best, I would have bought my wife a handgun and it would be sitting in the safe untouched.

There is also Prison Talk Online for those that love their sex offenders, murderers, and rapists. Could it be that they are right as well?

This is an aweful post. Seriously, could've done better. This doesn't assist the argument of Hi-Point firearms being junk.

From what I can gather, Hi Point guns seems to have a history of being cheap, ugly, but surprisingly reliable. I can't recall the entire history of that big clunky blowback .45 pistol. The names Haskell and Jennings come to mind, and I have a faint mental connection to a tractor factory, but I'm pretty sure it has been sold under a couple of other names.

From what I hear, the homely Hi Point carbines (I guess there's a new one now that has some "style") have been quite reliable. I've never been a pistol caliber carbine guy, but I may actually buy one of those. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for cheap guns that work. Maybe it's knowing that so many gun laws in history (virtually all 19th century gun control laws were really "negro control" laws) were intended as discrimination against poor people who couldn't afford much. One Southern state actually passed a law at one time that only Colt's Revolvers were allowed. Imagine being told by Big Brother that if you can't afford a Python you have no right to a defensive sidearm!

I guess I'll just have to learn for myself. I'm a 1911 fan, and have no strong desire for a clunky .45 with an overweight slide. But some Hi Point products just might qualify as "barn guns." That's something cheap, maybe not super accurate, but that will reliably go bang, and you won't cry if it picks up a speck or two of rust while stored in the barn or shed.

Remember, the Liberator, as built by GM's Guide Lamp Division, cost $1.71 per unit. :smile:

Go to youtube and search nutnfancy hi point. I realize some people love to hate him, and those videos are, well... very long winded, but he gives a good rundown when he stops yacking.

gunnerbob:258695 said:

This is an aweful post. Seriously, could've done better. This doesn't assist the argument of Hi-Poor firearms being junk.

The original post said he found a forum that rants about how good they are and questions are these people correct.

My point is that you can find a fan-boy for anything or any product or in my point anyone.

Too bad I had to dumb it down for you.

I'm no angel but most of the replies say an awful lot about some of the characters and miscreants who populate this forum. There are ways to express your displeasure with Hi Point without sounding like a complete a-yada yada-hole.

The original post said he found a forum that rants about how good they are and questions are these people correct.

My point is that you can find a fan-boy for anything or any product or in my point anyone.

Yeah, because that's what you did.

gunnerbob:258831 said:
The original post said he found a forum that isnts about how good they are and questions are these people correct.

Yeah, because that's what you did.

If you can't get Mohamed to see the mountain he is either blind or ignorant.

If you can't get Mohamed to see the mountain he is either blind or ignorant.

"If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I woudln't be more suprised than I am right now"

See, that's a saying too. Wait, no yours wasn't a saying. You see, I can try to make my argument with nonsense as well.

"If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I woudln't be more suprised than I am right now"

That is the awesomest piece of intentional double-speak I've ever seen. I don't think Yogi Berra could top that! I'm anxious to see if Warbirds has it in him to give it a go! LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back