Gun rights supporters "celebrate" open carry law in AR

gejoslin

Illegitimi non carborundu
Gun rights supporters "celebrate" open carry law

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 11:39 PM CDTUpdated: Oct 19, 2013 11:39 PM CDTBy Jeannette Reyes, Reporter - Link Removed | email
BRYANT (KATV) - Armed supporters took to the streets of Bryant Saturday to bring attention to a new law that allows the public bearing of arms in Arkansas.
Thousands of gun advocates across the state were happy to see Act 746 become law on August 16th. But Saturday some supporters went the extra mile--literally---peacefully marching down major roads to celebrate their gun rights.
Nicholas Stehle, chairperson for Arkansas Carry, organized the event which he called a legal and peaceful armed citizen walk that would show the state that unlicensed open carry is now legal. Supporters at the event say being able to openly carry deters crime and provides an important option for gun owners. Stehle doesn't openly carry himself but says it's not for lawmakers to make that decision and this recent law ends decades of infringement on a basic right.
"I still prefer to carry concealed but I support people's rights to carry openly," he said. "There's no evidence to suggest that it's a safety problem. There's no evidence to suggest that people behave any differently except for the fact that it may actually prevent some crimes from ever happening."
Vid on link

Gun rights supporters "celebrate" open carry law - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Gun rights supporters "celebrate" open carry law

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 11:39 PM CDTUpdated: Oct 19, 2013 11:39 PM CDTBy Jeannette Reyes, Reporter - Link Removed | email
BRYANT (KATV) - Armed supporters took to the streets of Bryant Saturday to bring attention to a new law that allows the public bearing of arms in Arkansas.
Thousands of gun advocates across the state were happy to see Act 746 become law on August 16th. But Saturday some supporters went the extra mile--literally---peacefully marching down major roads to celebrate their gun rights.
Nicholas Stehle, chairperson for Arkansas Carry, organized the event which he called a legal and peaceful armed citizen walk that would show the state that unlicensed open carry is now legal. Supporters at the event say being able to openly carry deters crime and provides an important option for gun owners. Stehle doesn't openly carry himself but says it's not for lawmakers to make that decision and this recent law ends decades of infringement on a basic right.
"I still prefer to carry concealed but I support people's rights to carry openly," he said. "There's no evidence to suggest that it's a safety problem. There's no evidence to suggest that people behave any differently except for the fact that it may actually prevent some crimes from ever happening."
Vid on link

Gun rights supporters "celebrate" open carry law - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

"There's no evidence to suggest that it's a safety problem. There's no evidence to suggest that people behave any differently except for the fact that it may actually prevent some crimes from ever happening."

But people's feelings and opinions trump evidence right?

"There's no evidence to suggest that it's a safety problem. There's no evidence to suggest that people behave any differently except for the fact that it may actually prevent some crimes from ever happening."

But people's feelings and opinions trump evidence right?

Well come on FFC, it can be assumed that there were several gun-grabs that day. I mean, just because it wasn't reported doesn't mean it didn't happen. Link Removed Link Removed

With my requisite dose of sarcasm out of the way, I have to say that the news report at the link was remarkably unbiased. No anti-gunners were given a chance to spew and no perceptible negative attitude was forthcoming from the reporter covering the gathering/march.

Congrats Arkansas.

Blues

In all seriousness... I believe if those who don't like open carry would quit bitching about open carry and actually fight for the unfettered right to bear arms with the same amount of fervent and rabid tenacity they exhibit when going after open carry half the damn States would have Constitutional Carry in less than 3 years.

Edited to remove some sarcasm ....

In all seriousness... I believe if those who don't like open carry would quit bitching about open carry and actually fight for the unfettered right to bear arms with the same amount of fervent and rabid tenacity they exhibit when going after open carry half the damn States would have Constitutional Carry in less than 3 years.

Amen bro.

Aww man, bummer, I love sarcasm! HA!

As to your post though, you have to remember that there are several people on this (and every other) gun-rights-oriented site who think infringement laws are just peachy, and many of them don't even get into the OC "vs" CC thing. There are active threads right now about a guy in DC who is facing charges and jail time for spent shell casings, and another one about an Iraq War vet OC'ing on one of his son's supervised Boy Scout Merit Badge hikes who could face jail time, older threads about Markedguardian (in OR) or the list goes on of "official" abuses of people and their rights regarding both open and concealed carry, and it is utterly routine for several posters around here to say, "He had it coming" or "Why didn't he just give the cop his ID" or "I'd have rousted that guy just for his annoying voice!" or vile name-calling etc. etc.

The sad fact is that the only reason there's not a bunch of video circulating of the AR march in the OP is because the cops behaved themselves. The happy fact is that in such demonstrations OC'ers and CC'ers are always behaving themselves, and only get face-time on YouTube when they chronicle cops' bad behavior. It's unfortunate that so many happy, peaceful, law-abiding citizens get so damned much face-time, ain't it though? And what is more unfortunate, that they get the face-time, or that so-called 2A proponents jump on forums like this one and say they had it comin'?

Blues

gejoslin, I stumbled upon KATV's article and video just today! Thanks for the link, and I need to get out more often, although we in Northwest Arkansas have been threatened with arrest by the Arkansas State Police and Sheriff, for OC.

If someone wants to be a sacrificial lamb and test the court system here, it won't be me! I have neither the finances nor friends in high enough places to pull it off.

gejoslin, I stumbled upon KATV's article and video just today! Thanks for the link, and I need to get out more often, although we in Northwest Arkansas have been threatened with arrest by the Arkansas State Police and Sheriff, for OC.

If someone wants to be a sacrificial lamb and test the court system here, it won't be me! I have neither the finances nor friends in high enough places to pull it off.
I've been talking to the Fordyce Officers here and they (2) have said that they're not arresting people for just OC. They will investigate if they get a MWAG call. But if they're carrying for self defence and/or shop owner with large sums of money (as if!) and no intent to commit a crime they will not arrest them. Sounds like we would be in for a hassle if nothing else!
Trying to talk to Sheriff Ford for his opinion. Fordyce is the county seat for Dallas County.

I saw this on 5 News last night. The Washington County Arkansas prosecutor John Threet has said that OC is legal in the county. He and Sheriff Tim Helder are in agreement.
They go on to say that the city prosecutor will have the final say inside any of the city limits.

Firearm Open Carry Lawful, Top Officials Say | 5NEWSOnline.com
Sounds great, Kirk! Wish we had such forward-thinking in NWA. Perhaps our County noticed the broadcast as well.

However, this proves just how divisive the law has on different LE bodies in the state. Washington Co. says it's legal, Fayetteville and other cities in Washington Co., may say it's not and leave prosecution to the cities.

So, I'm calmly twiddling my thumbs, but keep concealed away from the home. Maybe Legislators and Law Enforcement will eventually get on the same page soon?

Being an ex-police officer and knowing a few, most agree with the second amendment and wouldn't arrest someone for open carry if it is legal in their state. A chat with a police officer who is just investigating a report to ensure you are not up to no good is a small price to pay for such progressive legislation. Also as more people excercise their right to OC and it becomes common place there will be less MWAG calls and those chats will become fewer. I will be watching to see how crime rights are affected in AR (bet they go down dramatically).

Being an ex-police officer and knowing a few, most agree with the second amendment and wouldn't arrest someone for open carry if it is legal in their state. A chat with a police officer who is just investigating a report to ensure you are not up to no good is a small price to pay for such progressive legislation. Also as more people excercise their right to OC and it becomes common place there will be less MWAG calls and those chats will become fewer. I will be watching to see how crime rights are affected in AR (bet they go down dramatically).
Thanks for your vote of confidence, Farmer0885. I hope those areas of the state allowing citizens to open carry propagates to the entire state.

I don't know why the vocal open carry arrest threats from Benton County SO, and the ASP here in Northwest Arkansas? I haven't heard about city LE threatening arrest, but they will probably follow the SO and ASP lead.

This is what is so frustrating. OC haven in some parts of the state, and threats of arrest here. Oh well, I'll just keep CC, and be out of sight, out of mind!

I really think that LE in this area has their hands full with the population explosion in Washington and Benton Counties. Sometimes the traffic reminds me of Baltimore and D.C. The transportation infrastructure hasn't kept-up with the impossible traffic flow control here. Point being law enforcement doesn't have the desire to send officers to check-out the hundreds of MWAG, hysterical populace 911 calls.

The lucky ones in more rural areas of the state who OC, hats off! I respect your tenacity and courage.

I wish the Benton Co. D.A.'s office would just come out and say we don't have time or resources to mess with open carry complaints, as they have far more serious issues to address.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that LE arrests OC'ers here, so they don't become deluged with calls about citizens asserting their rights. Bingo! Infringement of a right, because it inconveniences law enforcement here. I have a few letters (emails) to write. I already heard from John McCain, John Boozman, and Steve Womack this evening about some national issues. I'm surprised I didn't hear from Mark Pryor yet, as he actually voted with the other Patriots' causes. I ripped John McCain over his RINO status, and received quite a detailed "we have to take our country back" itinerary. Maybe he has seen the light?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back