Gun cleaning rags

tuts40

I have a question about what a majority of you do in regard to either reusing gun cleaning rags or tossing and replacing...

Soooo, do any of you wash them in the washing machine, and if is, does your wife object due to any fumes/odors left behind or anything such?

Yeah, I know, but I hate tossing them as there are only so many old T-shirts at one's disposal, and rags can be expensive if you are a penny pincher!

We have an old washing machine which hubby had installed in our basement for rags. We have a lot of rags out of T-shirts and worn out socks. We wash them all and re-use them. Old sport socks are also good for wiping sweat after gardening -- like a more sturdier kerchief, not the thin hankies. We (He) clean our guns in the basement so a pile of old rags there doesn't really have to go upstairs on the first floor.

My wife will wash my gun and work rags by themselves and then usually run an empty load afterwards.

She complains but usually just to let me know she's going out of her way for me, again :lol:

KK

I wash them separately in hot water with a splash of de-greaser in addition to detergent.

I use an old single bed sheet and just use a new spot every time. When its really gnarly I was it separately when I do my wash at the coin op.

I HAVE been washing them with the rest of the stuff and the wife IS complaining about it ... lol ...

I use old sport socks. I go thru them fairly quick. Once I see a hole or two they get washed one more time then into my gun cleaning pile. I throw them out and grab a fresh one.

Just a new hint on cleaning etal. I use the "rubbery wedges" that women use for putting on makeup. They can be cut smaller, fit everywhere and are a perfect vehicle for applying solvent,cleaning off your cleaning solvent, and applying a light coat of your gun oil/lubricant. Just throw um away. Even for the "thru the bottom of mag compartment up into the chamber, I put one on end of long narrow wood stick or metal rod and, with solvent or lubricant, run it thru the system. As far as washing rags, maybe I am less particular than most, but I have enough rags to outlast my firearm so throwaway is easy. I do hand wash my bore snake--amazing how much "waxy residue" comes forth when you squeeze it dry--I then hit it with hot water and continue "squeezing" until I see no more wax coming out of the snake material

I usually hold the gun rags until I have a load of shop rags to go in as well. Put them in a bucket (in the garage) with detergent and warm water, sit it outside in the sun for a while (while I cut the grass or something else) dump the water in the flower bed (yes, the flowers are okay!) then run the load as a normal heavy load. After the load is done, run it again to get rid of any odor left behind.

Side not on cleaning gun rags, DO NOT use fabric softener in the load. Nasty stuff. Can lead to nasty on the guns, especially rust blued guns. (personal experience)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back