Gun buy back programs

misunderstood

Maybe someone with some first hand knowledge can answer some questions for me. What happens if one of the firearms is used in a murder? Do they take names of the people who turn it in so they question them as they should have to begin with? What if it is stolen? The police just broke the law because they purchased a stolen item and are now in possession of it and it is not evidence. Does it get returned?

Sent from my XT901 using USA Carry mobile app

I can't imagine someone knowingly turning in a "hot" firearm rather than dumping it in the river, and it's tough to imagine a scenario in which someone legally possesses such a firearm WITHOUT knowing it. The sums of money they offer, you'd have to be pretty desperate to take such a chance.
But technically it's supposed to be "no questions asked".

A bit off topic, but I still find it hilarious... Gun buybacks don't work anymore in CO! The new laws for background checks make it unfeasible! LOL

(I'm sure they'd come up with a loophole for a police- or state-run buyback, but I'm pretty darn sure almost none of the sheriffs would participate!)

The only scenario I could come up with for someone turning in a gun like that would be if maybe they bought the gun in a pawn shop that's not exactly reliable. Beyond that, I've got nothing.

the local sheriff's office is doing a buy back on on Sat. they are offering $ 50 per gun, I am going to sit outside offering $100 for decent guns

the local sheriff's office is doing a buy back on on Sat. they are offering $ 50 per gun, I am going to sit outside offering $100 for decent guns

Going back to the OP's question.

What if somebody is stupid enough to take a gun used in a murder and you buy it.....to only be caught with it later? :unsure:

I read somewhere where they allowed homemade guns to be sold back and some guy made some cheap guns to sell to the police department. When you are spending the tax payers money why the hell not? This is a waste of time and money. Thugs are not going to get rid of their guns so the only people who would participate are those people with guns in their homes that they never use.

buybacks

The only scenario I could come up with for someone turning in a gun like that would be if maybe they bought the gun in a pawn shop that's not exactly reliable. Beyond that, I've got nothing.[/QUOTE]

Nearly every state have laws relating to pawnshops purchasing items from their customers, even when taken in pawn then never reclaimed. Items go into a 30 day hold and police (theoretically) survey the intake logs of the pawnshop checking for hot items. Guns are something they check scrupulously. In most states, even a gunshop taking a used gin in for trade is subject to the same requirements. The sheriffs DO check those lists for guns. Thus the chance of a stolen gun actualy being sold by a pawnshop is all but nil.

Buyback programmes are a ridiculous publicity stunt in most cases. they do not really "keep them off the streets".

Nearly every state have laws relating to pawnshops purchasing items from their customers, even when taken in pawn then never reclaimed. Items go into a 30 day hold and police (theoretically) survey the intake logs of the pawnshop checking for hot items. Guns are something they check scrupulously. In most states, even a gunshop taking a used gin in for trade is subject to the same requirements. The sheriffs DO check those lists for guns. Thus the chance of a stolen gun actualy being sold by a pawnshop is all but nil.

Buyback programmes are a ridiculous publicity stunt in most cases. they do not really "keep them off the streets".

Yeah, I figured it'd have to be a pretty sh!tty pawn shop that doesn't exactly follow the law, and then most normal people would know not to go there. But it was about all I could come up with.

Buybacks are not exactly useful for anything, at any rate.

One reason I won't buy a used gun. Don't know where its been.

What if somebody is stupid enough to take a gun used in a murder and you buy it.....to only be caught with it later? :unsure:

There are ways to at least lessen the potential for buying a gun used that has been used in a crime. I don't need to know much about the private-party individual selling the weapon as long as they're willing to give me the serial number and let me have my sheriff's office run it for being stolen etc. That would happen before any deal could be negotiated, and assuming that goes OK, then I would require a DL number for the seller to be put on the bill of sale, which I will retain and pass along should I sell the weapon down the road. That's all I need to protect myself, as even if it became apparent after the deal that the weapon was stolen or used in a crime, my involvement with it will be documented to be some time after that crime happened. I *could* conceivably lose the gun, but having not done anything illegal in acquiring it in the first place, that's the worst consequence that I could *legally* suffer. I'm not saying that I'd be happy about that if it happened, but I'm not legally exposed by the implementation of those cautionary steps either.

Anyone who gambles on poker or slots or the lottery is many times more likely to lose their money than a cautious citizen buying a used gun in a private transaction. I'll cede the point that there is a gambling risk, but it's minuscule at worst IMO, as long as the buyer takes a couple of prudent steps to protect themselves.

Blues

what would happen?
wouldn't the prosecution still be obliged to prove it was me who committed the crime?
this case won't be solved at the end of the show

Yeah, I figured it'd have to be a pretty sh!tty pawn shop that doesn't exactly follow the law, and then most normal people would know not to go there. But it was about all I could come up with.

Buybacks are not exactly useful for anything, at any rate.
Buybacks do good. They get the rusted junk that would blow up in the legal owners hand.:laugh:

Advise you to run the gun's serial number before buying through the FDLE's database. Take names and addresses and copy their driver's license. If you buy a gun from an out of state cop and aren't an FFL, you will be going to jail.

Maybe someone with some first hand knowledge can answer some questions for me. What happens if one of the firearms is used in a murder? Do they take names of the people who turn it in so they question them as they should have to begin with? What if it is stolen? The police just broke the law because they purchased a stolen item and are now in possession of it and it is not evidence. Does it get returned?

Sent from my XT901 using USA Carry mobile app

There was a story concerning this very issue awhile back where the city ran out of money. They asked everyone to write their name and contact info so they could send them a check or gift card. There was much clamor about it, because nearly all of these buy back programs are anonymous. You come in with a gun, no questions asked, they hand you your money.

It will not/can not be used to prosecute.

Another way liberals are obtuse when trying to stop crime. In these cases, they destroy real evidence.

Yeah, makes you wonder where they come up with the ARs they show case. Didn't get them from me.

funny you should wonder that. I think it was in Seattle, two different "buyback" charades, and after both, shown in different settings, were photos in the press showing cool "blakck and ugly" guns that were alledgedly "turned in"... funny thing, it seemed to the observant ones the two guns were identical in every respect.... the obvious suspicion that they were two photos taken of the same gun, trotted out at both "shows' to make them nappear to be "successful".. LOOKIE HEAH, we dun tuk thet bad boah off'n de streeets"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back