Got spotted in a gun store

JR

Only got busted once (that I know of) and that was in church. Bought new suit with double split in rear coat and one corner "hung" on my Kimber. Guy two rows behind me asked if I was carrying...I explained I had a don't ask don't tell don't touch policy concerning my personal security. He smiled and that was that. I no longer use the Kimber with that coat.

Most gun stores (at least those that I am familiar with in the Mid-Atlantic) do not allow carry within their stores except by authorized Law Enforcement. I'm surprised that he didn't ask you to leave or if they have a range to go in and unload it! I've actually seen this done where an armed customer was asked to leave?? Their sign on the door clearly states that loaded weapons are not allowed on their premises.

Most of the gun stores here in Charlotte NC is as long as it is concealed and you have permit it is ok to carry in their store.

Here's what works for ME.

Attitude and body english is most important, as very few people are actually looking at us trying to see if we have a gun on our person.

Bianci #6 IWB belt clip, modified leather.

I tuck the bottom edge of my non-tucked polo shirt up under the tang of the belt loop. If I reach or stoop the shirt might pull, but the tail does not come up exposing my weapon. 2 o'clock carry. If I dress-up I usually have a sport coat on and the shirts tucked in. I rarely carry 4 o'clock because of printing.

A couple times I have gotten out of the car and the tail of my shirt has been above my weapon. NObody cared.

Of course, this is rural-middle-America and most people are conservatives who appreciate guns.

Open carry is non-existent here, even though it is now legal I have yet to see even one person carrying. No not even one.

I recently bought a new holster - decided my previous one didn't "hold" well enough (I've now had it fall out twice. Once is "forgivable" as a learning experience, but the second time - no.) The guy behind the counter showed how well the one he was suggesting holds by revealing his concealed weapon (compact 9, I didn't catch what exact model) that was in that model holster (he also had a 1911-clone openly carried.) I asked if I could try, he said sure and handed me an unused holster. I removed the magazine before revealing the weapon, he didn't bat an eye, just said something to the effect of "I appreciate that" when I removed the magazine before pulling the gun out.

That's only the second time I've ever revealed I was carrying that I hadn't been planning on/expecting to. (I hadn't been planning on stopping at the gun shop, but it was on my way home, and the "drop number two" had occurred that morning.)

OK, I know this is probably stupid, and I realize BG's are not the cream of the DNA crop, but WHY IN THE HELL would ANYBODY think robbing a GUN STORE was a great idea? Sort of reminds me of the possums that stand and snarl at an oncoming truck!

I don't know of any time that my gun has been spotted, but I did have one similar issue. I carry an ASP baton a lot. I would usually carry it beside my wallet in my back pocket. If you saw it, you would only see the black round cap at the top of the pocket. I had recently bought a pair of slightly tighter jeans and wore them when I went to visit my buddy at work(office supply store). A mutual friend of ours was standing near my right side. I felt a slight tug to my jeans as she said "What's this?" and pulled the baton out in the middle of the store. I quickly snatched it back from her and realized just how easy it would be for someone to grab that if I let my guard down at all. I felt like a fool that day.

So, where were you that allowed legal concealed carry in 1982?

Laws don't matter to hotti. He/she/heshe freely admits to committing felonies on this forum, with photographic evidence.

I don't know if Treo's question was meant to imply that CWPs were almost non-existent in the 80s, or if it was specifically because of a history with hotti that NavyLCDR refers to and that I am unaware of, but if it was the former, I had a CWP issued from King County in Washington State from '77 through '83. The only difference between getting one there back then and getting one here in Bama now is that there, they mailed it to you, and here, you get it within a minute or two of handing the receptionist your fee. I'm sure it's changed by now, but back then, there were no training requirements or mandatory classes, and it would've had to have been cheap because those were lean years for me and I rarely had two nickles to rub together.

If the question was just an inside jab at hotti, disregard.

Blues

OK, I know this is probably stupid, and I realize BG's are not the cream of the DNA crop, but WHY IN THE HELL would ANYBODY think robbing a GUN STORE was a great idea? Sort of reminds me of the possums that stand and snarl at an oncoming truck!

I would think that "robbery" is not the prime consideration for a gunshop to have a no guns policy or at least a no CC, loaded guns policy. Bad enough that the people behind the counter have to watch the counter as customers handle guns---I can see them not wanting others wandering around the store with loaded CC guns and talking to each other and maybe showing each other what they have CC'd--always a chance for a mistake.

We now have 3 gunshops within 3 miles here. One put up a sign then took it down within a month. Another never put one up. Third put one up about a month after opening and still has it up. I carry in all three, with permission.

I would think that "robbery" is not the prime consideration for a gunshop to have a no guns policy or at least a no CC, loaded guns policy. Bad enough that the people behind the counter have to watch the counter as customers handle guns---I can see them not wanting others wandering around the store with loaded CC guns and talking to each other and maybe showing each other what they have CC'd--always a chance for a mistake.

Don't know about store ccw signs, but have been at 2 gun shows where loaded weapons went off. One was a 22 that bounced off the floor, no harm done, and the other was a 12 gauge that damaged the ceiling. Each was a miracle that the idiots carrying loaded weapons into those shows didn't kill somebody. Those are the people that anti-gunners love. Now door guards examine every weapon entering.... at least where I have been.

I've only been spotted once that I know of. I was on a service call working on a vending machine at a mail center, so my firearm wasn't on me, but my kholster was. A lady was having lunch when she quietly informed me that her & her husband both have a holster like mine. She spotted the clips.
It's really odd to me that gun shops, who should be advocating that ccw permit holders are not criminals, don't allow you to have guns loaded. The shops in my area sure don't say they can't be loaded.

Only been outted once that I know about. I went to my Dr to get a prescription refilled. When the Dr came in and asked me to remove my shirt as he wanted to check my upper torso. I had been a patient for many years and had a pretty good relation with him. When I took off my shirt, I was as exposed as Bill Clinton. He just smiled and reached under his smock and pulled out a little 32 revolver. We got to talking about CCW and guns and I was there for a long appointment. During the next couple of years we became good friends and shooting buddies. He had one of the finest collection of automatic guns I have ever seen outside the military or museum.They were his 401K.

A.Quigley
I live in the Tampa area and almost every gun store I've been in has a "no loaded gun" sign on the front door..
Is it different down south??

My "gun store" is also an indoor range. The door is "buzzered" to limit access. "Rules" require that anyone wishing to come in read the "posters" right under the camera. Current members merely flash their membership cards at the camera.

This allows those inside to "scope out" anyone wishing to come in who are not members, to the satisfaction of the management.

Members who are "packing" have only to mention it while they are flashing their cards for entry. You only have to leave it holstered, except at the firing line, if you are going to fire that particular weapon that day.

Don't scratch your heads, some of us have numberous weapons to "rotate through" fam and accuracy fire periodically. My wife and I have, between us, eleven pistols now. (I probably should consider "thinning" the herd a bit, I suppose.)

But even the .22 LR Walthers I bought to inexpensively teach my wife accurate shooting a couple of years back still gets used. For instance, I have recently developed a tendency to "push" my rounds off to the right or left of dead center a couple inches at 10 yards (depending on which hand I am shooting with). I believe it is a bad habit as a result of trying to shoot more accurately at a faster pace. It irritates me, a long time USMC Pistol Expert, to have had that happen. I intend to take the .22 to the range and put BOO-KOO rounds down it until I can resolve the problem. THEN go to the more expensive ammo and see if it has done any good overall.

I may be "mad", but there is a method to it! LOL!

GG

Don't know about store ccw signs, but have been at 2 gun shows where loaded weapons went off. One was a 22 that bounced off the floor, no harm done, and the other was a 12 gauge that damaged the ceiling. Each was a miracle that the idiots carrying loaded weapons into those shows didn't kill somebody. Those are the people that anti-gunners love. Now door guards examine every weapon entering.... at least where I have been.

Can't speak for ALL gun shows, but the Greensboro (NC) gun shows ALWAYS check the incoming weapons AND place a plastic (whatever you call those racheted strips that CAN be used in place of handcuffs) in the weapon so it CAN'T be loaded without first removing the plastic gizmo.

Personally, in the name of safety, I would really like to see ALL gun shows take the same steps. (There is enough "security" around those shows to take care of any problems that might otherwise occur.) (Not to mention the stray/odd BATF undercover puke having around trying to make a name for himself. LOL!)

GG

Getting spotted carrying in a gun store seems like it'd be the equivalent of getting caught with a woody at strip club. Who the heck cares?

As a fortunate resident of one of America's free-er states, Arizona, my response is a bemused, "So what?" Here, if you aren't carrying, we worry.
Yup, we even have a flag just for those who are anti-carry.

Link Removed

Someone really familiar with guns and concealed carry may be able to spot you. Last year I was in a Subway sandwich shop. As I went to get a soda, there was a guy ahead of me. I very quickly noticed the belt loops of his Crossbreed Supertuck. As he finished, I quietly said, "Ah, a Crossbreed Supertuck. How do you like it?"

He sort of smiled sheepishly as he walked by. I waved as I left. He was sitting down, still eating.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back