Glock maintenance

m.ritz

I have a question for anyone who's really familiar with Glocks... I recently picked up a Glock 19, gen 4. I noticed there is a gold looking lube on the rails that 1 friend of mine told me not to clean off, which seemed odd to me because i wouldn't think it to be a good idea to just let residue from shooting build up on the rails, and another friend told me its fine to remove and it can be purchased and reapplied. So question 1 is, is friend #2 right? Next question... i sprayed some remington stuff down into the grip area of the pistol, where i can't otherwise get to for cleaning, that says it removes build up and grease and such in hard to reach places. There isn't some other sort of special Glock lube down there that i should avoid removing is there? I just want to make sure i didn't mess anything up.

The gold build up is prob from the copper from shooting it break the gun down and clean it all off ... All the oil and everything .. Then use the oil and oil it good where moving parts and where metal runs and that's it

Go to youtube. The gold stuff should be left alone as it aids in the break in of your new Glock. Don't remove it.

I have a question for anyone who's really familiar with Glocks... I recently picked up a Glock 19, gen 4. I noticed there is a gold looking lube on the rails that 1 friend of mine told me not to clean off, which seemed odd to me because i wouldn't think it to be a good idea to just let residue from shooting build up on the rails, and another friend told me its fine to remove and it can be purchased and reapplied. So question 1 is, is friend #2 right? Next question... i sprayed some remington stuff down into the grip area of the pistol, where i can't otherwise get to for cleaning, that says it removes build up and grease and such in hard to reach places. There isn't some other sort of special Glock lube down there that i should avoid removing is there? I just want to make sure i didn't mess anything up.

The gold colored lube is indeed from the factory.
There is no need to remove it, it will eventually wear off.

As far as further lubrication of Glocks is concerned (Less is always More).
DO NOT Over Lubricate your Glock.

Too much lubricant will cause more gunk buildup than you want.
MINIMAL lubrication is always best with any Glock.

Here's a great video clip on this subject.

RTFM.

(That's old Army speak for "Read the effing manual.")

Don't have a manual? Then order or download one. You need it.

Don't want to wait til the manual arrives? Then call Glock USA. STILL order or download the manual, because you want it there for future reference.

Best not to rely on faceless forum folks for these kinds of questions.

Yes, the copper is factory lube and is better left on - it will wear off with time.
And The_Outlaw offers an important point: don't over oil the Glock. I clean the pistol and then use a Q-tip soaked in CLP to apply to the 6 points Glock says in the manual. Only other thing is after the 6 points, I run the Q-tip down each groove in the slide, but very lightly and do this last.

justxboxin:304144 said:
The gold build up is prob from the copper from shooting it break the gun down and clean it all off ... All the oil and everything .. Then use the oil and oil it good where moving parts and where metal runs and that's it

Oh the insanity of offering opinions on things one does not know!

Its a Glock... rub some dirt on it!
<sarcasm>
All due seriousness, the gold colored lube is a factory lube and should be left there for break-in.
It will eventually wear away on its own so don't worry about it.
I usually just run a good nylon brush over everything, run a brush down the barrel, then a oil soaked patch down the barrel, then a clean patch.
That is pretty much all it takes to get it clean.

The manual for the G19/Gen 4 clearly recommends leaving the copper lube on for a while. I left mine on for the first three hundred rounds.

Clean a Glock? What is this world coming to..... ::sigh:: I took the gold stuff off after the 1st hundred and replaced with a LIGHT coat of Rem-Oil. Now just a brush and a few pads and q-tips is all I use

It will eventually come off after a certain number of rounds fired, which I am sorry to say I can't recall the amount. 500 sticks in my mind, but I'm guessing. A dealer told me that they sometimes use the gold (or lack thereof) to estimate on how many rounds were fired through the gun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back