Getting my own pistol to Florida

Hey Navy I appreciate the input. Like I said I don't have time right now. Can you please continue more research and let us know. Thanks

Hey Navy I appreciate the input. Like I said I don't have time right now. Can you please continue more research and let us know. Thanks

It was posted in post #11 in this thread. Here it is again:

FedEx Express Terms and Conditions and FedEx Ground Tariff

Click on "Firearms":

A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

UPS has the same company policy in their terms of service:
Link Removed

3.6.1 Firearms
UPS accepts Packages containing fire
arms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44,
and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United
States Code) only (a) between licensed
importers, licensed manufacturers,
licensed dealers, and licensed collectors
(as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the
United States Code), and government
agencies; and (b) where not otherwise
prohibited by federal, state, or local
law from (i) an individual to a licensed
importer, licensed manufacturer,
licensed dealer or licensed collector;
and (ii) from a licensed importer,
licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer,
or licensed collector to an individual.

The notification requirement is in 18 USC 922 (e):
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

United States Post Office still allows mailing of rifles and shotguns to any legal recipient, but Post Office Federal Regulations prohibit a non-FFL from mailing any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun.
Section 432 of Publication 52:
Link Removed

Federal regulations prohibit an FFL from shipping any firearm to a non-FFL except that a firearm or replacement that was delivered to them for the sole purpose of repair or customization can be returned directly to the person whom they received it from.
18 USC 922 (a)(2):

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;
The Federal law that prohibits an FFL from transferring any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun to a resident of a different state is 18 USC 922 (b)(3):

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Any other questions? :)

New UPS and Fed Ex polcies require either the shipper or the recipient of a firearm to hold an FFL, including a type 03. If you don't have an FFL, shipping per their polcies is out. USPS is no good either.

Your only legal option is to check it with the airline.

Sooooo, what happens when one needs to or wants to ship their firearm back to the manufacturer for repairs or upgrades? Are you saying a new law passed recently saying you must take it to a dealer to ship through? What is the reference because it wasn't that long ago that I shipped my XDs to Springfield through FedEx.

Ir you read the 2 posts that contain both the Fed Ex and UPS policies, you will see licensed manufacturers are exempt from the rule.

Do like others suggest and buy a quality handgun transport case for airline travel and check it at the counter. Don't fly United either they tend to punish people's goods---heard quite a few horror stories with guitars and rifles.

I fly United all the time with my firearms. Never a single problem. Flew to Vegas in December with my HK. No issues.

What you describe can happen to anyone flying any airline IMO.

The only difference via the link I see from what Navy LCDR posted is this: FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

So a change must have been made since I mailed my XDs to Springfield for upgrade.

I fly United all the time with my firearms. Never a single problem. Flew to Vegas in December with my HK. No issues.

What you describe can happen to anyone flying any airline IMO.

True but United seems to be exceptional at it unless they got tired of lawsuits and made drastic changes. I guess you are one of the lucky ones.

The only difference via the link I see from what Navy LCDR posted is this: FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

So a change must have been made since I mailed my XDs to Springfield for upgrade.

For at least 10 years FEDEX Terms Of Service allowed rifles and shotguns to be shipped via ground and required handguns to go by FEDEX Express. There are separate Terms and Conditions for FEDEX Ground and FEDEX Express. However, the counter person may not know all their Terms and Conditions of Service (also known as Tariffs). In about 2004 I shipped a Contender pistol back to TC for repairs. I told the counter guy I had a handgun going back to the manufacturer. He asked if he could inspect the contents, I said I don't care if you seal it back up. He opened the box, peeked at the pistol, sealed it back up and asked "Ground or air?" At that time their Terms of Service (just like now) required handguns to go by air, but I said "GROUND!" and saved about $50.

The link I posted includes FEDEX Express which does (and always has) allows handgun shipments. FEDEX Ground only tariff will exclude handguns.

For at least 10 years FEDEX Terms Of Service allowed rifles and shotguns to be shipped via ground and required handguns to go by FEDEX Express. There are separate Terms and Conditions for FEDEX Ground and FEDEX Express. However, the counter person may not know all their Terms and Conditions of Service (also known as Tariffs). In about 2004 I shipped a Contender pistol back to TC for repairs. I told the counter guy I had a handgun going back to the manufacturer. He asked if he could inspect the contents, I said I don't care if you seal it back up. He opened the box, peeked at the pistol, sealed it back up and asked "Ground or air?" At that time their Terms of Service (just like now) required handguns to go by air, but I said "GROUND!" and saved about $50.

The link I posted includes FEDEX Express which does (and always has) allows handgun shipments. FEDEX Ground only tariff will exclude handguns.

Ahhh---so I see said the blind man as he peed into the wind it all comes back to me now. :wink: Thanks for clearing that up NavyLCDR.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back