Flying Tomorrow - I Wonder How This Will Work

USN2Pulpit

I'll be flying out of Baltimore tomorrow, and am very interested to see how this will work out. I have followed all the rules from the airline, the state of Maryland, and the TSA. If there's interest, I'll post the experience.

Have you followed all the rules of where you are landing? Don't get off the plane and get your bags anywhere like NY.

I'll be flying tomorrow with my firearm as well. WA to NV. I can't even count how many times I've flown with my firearm now...got a new lock box though which should be nice.

Just did it for the first time this weekend. It really could not have been easier, big and small airports, no ISSUE.

Yes I'd like to know what happens.

I'll be flying out of Baltimore tomorrow, and am very interested to see how this will work out. I have followed all the rules from the airline, the state of Maryland, and the TSA. If there's interest, I'll post the experience.

I'll be flying tomorrow with my firearm as well. WA to NV. I can't even count how many times I've flown with my firearm now...got a new lock box though which should be nice.

I will be going also from WA to NC which I'm good to go in N.C. and S.C so do you have any pics of your box or anybody? The wife a I planning on going also to myrtle beach for vacation and I want to take my XDs.

I will be going also from WA to NC which I'm good to go in N.C. and S.C so do you have any pics of your box or anybody? The wife a I planning on going also to myrtle beach for vacation and I want to take my XDs.

FWIW: SC and myrtle beach in particular are not overly gun friendly, you should visit handgunlaw.us and then the SC page to read up on SC gun laws!

It's just a stack on combo lock box I picked up from wholesale sports for $30. Compact and light weight with a 1500 lb cable I wrapped through my suitcase frame.

https://www.factory-express.com/p-3130-stack-on-pc-95c-portable-security-case.aspx?gclid=CL6I1Ifxv7UCFYx_Qgod41gA-A

Despite the description, this lock box also works for any gun owner, not just concealed carry permit holders.

1 - arrived at airport
2 - declared firearm at counter
3 - signed paper, kept one copy, put one copy in lock box
4 - locked box took pictures of suitcase
5 - boarded plane

So far, easy as every time before.

Mojo...do you have another state permit? I don't think SC accepts WA nor do they accept non resident permits from anywhere. As someone else replied, SC has some 'different' laws. I highly suggest you check them out before you get here. I'm flying from SC to WA in a few weeks and I'm going to have to leave the iron at home.
Tom in Myrtle Beach

Yeah, it was pretty easy. No big deal. As NavyLCDR said, it was as if they do it every day.

The resistance came from an unexpected source: my family. They were convinced that having to declare a firearm was going to somehow ruin the trip. So it was good to do it so they could see how it works also.

Honestly, there will be thousands of people flying tomorrow with firearms in checked bags.
Just like the old days, a LCDR trying to keep me in my place! :) So should I assume you have no interest in how it went?

Being that this bulletin board is a close group, I was asking if anyone wanted to know my experience, not the other thousands that flew. Point taken though - it was as if they do this every day...no big deal. Big deal to me though, since I had never done it.

Seeing how little trouble those posting here have had while flying with their handguns, I may try it the next time I travel.

Mojo...do you have another state permit? I don't think SC accepts WA nor do they accept non resident permits from anywhere. As someone else replied, SC has some 'different' laws. I highly suggest you check them out before you get here. I'm flying from SC to WA in a few weeks and I'm going to have to leave the iron at home.
Tom in Myrtle Beach

Seeing this is an old post, for future reference, you are welcome to bring your firearm to Washington and open carry it without a permit, we are more than welcoming here (very rare to get in a negative confrontation). Just follow federal laws and vehicle carry laws. No need to leave your iron at home.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Seeing this is an old post, for future reference, you are welcome to bring your firearm to Washington and open carry it without a permit, we are more than welcoming here (very rare to get in a negative confrontation). Just follow federal laws and vehicle carry laws. No need to leave your iron at home.

I see what you did there.
wink_zps5ca1eb22.gif

Yeah, it was pretty easy. No big deal. As NavyLCDR said, it was as if they do it every day.

The resistance came from an unexpected source: my family. They were convinced that having to declare a firearm was going to somehow ruin the trip. So it was good to do it so they could see how it works also.

That's how it was for me too the first time declaring my firearm and about 200 rounds of (reloaded) ammo for it (below the weight limit for domestic travel, stored in reloading boxes), as I was going to be participating in a low key shooting competition my brother had invited me to. Wife was CONVINCED that it would result in massive problems, but none were encountered. I was travelling from Arizona to Oregon. My biggest concern was bags getting lost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back