Florida ccw and living in Ohio

Droidx316

I was a resident of Florida until like three weeks ago but when I was a resident I did the course and paperwork and received my ccw license today.My question is I now live in Ohio but do not have my Ohio drivers license yet and I want to make sure that my Florida ccw license will be valid in Ohio for the next seven years.I was told by my local sheriff's office that I am all good with my Florida ccw even after I get my Ohio drivers license but many others have said that I would need to get my Ohio ccw.I don't want to waste more money and time to get Ohio ccw if I don't have to.I want to make sure that I can carry in Ohio using my Florida ccw license now that I am living in Ohio.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

your license will be valid but I can't say if ohio will allow a resident of ohio to use a fla license to carry in ohio

I've read that but it's just my situation is what is confusing me, will this Florida license be valid in Ohio even after I get my drivers license and stuff, or will they make me get a Ohio ccw.

You are no longer a FL resident so you have to change your address with the FL Dept of Ag. This will make your license a non-resident license and Ohio accepts FL non-resident license.
https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/license/ChangeAddress.aspx?TYPE=790

My guess would be yes it would be valid in OH but it's only a guess. Check with a lawyer to be absolutely sure. Also remember that you must go by OH gun laws and not FL gun laws in your day to day actions. For instance in OH you have a duty to inform, in FL you have no duty to inform. Also in Ohio no-gun signs have the weight of law behind them, in FL they do not.

there is no such thing as a FLA non resident license, there is a FLA license that can be issued to a non resident, maybe semantics but there is a difference

I already had the address changed like two weeks after I applied so it could be mailed to Ohio with my new address, the license just says state of Florida ccw holder.with my picture and license number

I googled and learned that in Ohio you apply for a ccw permit with the local sheriffs department, so I would suggest you call and ask them. Ohio ccw is $55 for 5 years and $24 for fbi check if one is needed (may not be needed since you have your fl. ccw.). I also found you need to be an Ohio resident for at least 45 days before you can apply for Ohio ccw. I think if I were going to become a permanent resident I would probably pay the $55 and get the permit, but finding out what the folks where you apply say would be the way to go.

As an Ohio resident, I would like you to think about becoming part of the community along with becoming a legal resident with an Ohio address. You will need to get an Ohio drivers license unless your geographical change has been through the military (which you did not indicate). Carrying in the state with a Fl license may be perfectly legal, but are you ready to face that issue each and every time you may have an interaction with a LEO. I license fee and training costs are minor to the chance you may face each and every time your path crosses a LEO. So let me ask you, what's in your wallet?

$55 .... not such a big deal. I would feel much safer having the permit issued by the state I live in. Too many holes in the minefields to have to step around. The upside... you will have a permit in 2 states!

As an Ohio resident, I would like you to think about becoming part of the community along with becoming a legal resident with an Ohio address. You will need to get an Ohio drivers license unless your geographical change has been through the military (which you did not indicate). Carrying in the state with a Fl license may be perfectly legal, but are you ready to face that issue each and every time you may have an interaction with a LEO. I license fee and training costs are minor to the chance you may face each and every time your path crosses a LEO. So let me ask you, what's in your wallet?

$0 dollars.Still looking for a job and haven't been residing for forty five days yet but I will get my Ohio ccw, I'm just saying in the meantime will my Florida ccw license be valid here in Ohio until then

I don't know what Ohio law is, but when you move from one state to another you usually have 30 days or so to transfer your drivers license, car registration, and license plates to your new address.

I know people who have moved to a new state and 'officially' remained a resident of the old state for many months. If they get pulled over they tell the police they're in the new state visiting friends, or that they just moved to the new state 2 or 3 days ago. And if you don't get pulled over nothing happens. I'm not suggesting you do this but if money's real tight it might be an option until you get a paycheck.

It would be a good idea to check with the sheriff on the ccw though - it's possible that your fla ccw is all you need. And, if you need to get an Ohio ccw they should give you some time to do so (in my opinion).

My local sheriff's office said that my Florida ccw will be all I need and I wouldn't need to get a Ohio ccw and she was one hundred percent sure of it so I'm not sure what to think lol

It makes sense to me. Since you still have your Florida drivers license, registration and plates unless you get pulled over and tell the police otherwise, they would have no way of knowing you have moved to Ohio unless they pull you over and you tell them so.

Besides this, Florida CCW is recognized in 34 states of which Ohio is one. Since you applied for yours a few weeks ago and have received it, the sheriff's dept. knows you've been finger printed and checked out.

The only thing I would suggest at this point is that you familiarize yourself with Ohio's concealed carry laws because you are subject to them when you're in Ohio even though your ccw permit is issued by Fl. Here's a link where you can download them:

Link Removed

My local sheriff's office said that my Florida ccw will be all I need and I wouldn't need to get a Ohio ccw and she was one hundred percent sure of it so I'm not sure what to think lol
I would not depend on the advice of any cop, consult the AG or licensing agency for the proper interpretation of the law

I was just googling Ohio's application process, and comparing to Indiana's. It says for Ohio ccw you need to take a 12 hour course with a ccw instructor and get a 'certificate of competency' before you apply. Indiana doesn't require any courses or a 'certificate of competency'.

You then apply for the ccw at the sheriff's department- you would think that if you spoke to the right department at the sheriffs office and not a rookie officer they would know what they were talking about or check with the proper department. BUT, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check that with the attorney general as apvbguy suggests.

Heck, you might even become friends with theses guys : )

I have a Florida non-resident license. The reason I got it was the training requirement. With 24 years military I didn't need any classes. That and they are good for 7 years and in more jurisdictions. To answer the question...Yes your Florida license is good in Ohio. The only reason to get an Ohio license is that some states don't recognize out of state licenses. That is licenses issued to residents of states other than the one they reside in. Pennsylvania, right next door, is one. Welcome to the Buckeye State.

The only reason to get an Ohio license is that some states don't recognize out of state licenses. That is licenses issued to residents of states other than the one they reside in. Pennsylvania, right next door, is one. Welcome to the Buckeye State.

Another reason is to avoid potential (although very unlikely) prosecution for violations of the federal Gun Free School Zone Act, such as passing within 1000' of a school with a firearm. Having a permit from OH covers you since your possession of a firearm is "licensed...by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back