Flint Police came to my house today and......

Itstjs

Well, today I can say I guess I had my first REAL LEO encounter. Was a bit odd considering the circumstances, just bought the Crossbreed supertuck and decided I was going to officially break it in today and wear it around the yard (concealed of course) and plant some flowers, throw down some mulch and tie up some other odds and ends being weve had a nice stretch of decent weather.
I just happened to be crouch down leveling some of the mulch out (facing away from my road) and heard someone say "Hey, are you carrying a gun" I happen to look behind me and there was a plain clothed Officer with a badge hanging around his neck with a gun in his hand, I looked to my left and seen a Uniformed Officer with his gun out walking to me as well. I stood up, put my hands away from my body and stated as clear as I could make it "yes sir, my weapon is in a holster on my right hip, wallet is in my back right pocket," he holstered his gun and stated they got flagged down at the corner saying was walking around with a gun and had waved it around a few times. Officer said he didnt buy it being he drove around the block, spotted me, seen my gun partially exposed [handle was apparently sticking out a little] and when they pulled up I was doing yard work.

Officers were very professional, and rather nice considering the weapons call. Officer requested I get my wallet, but before then, he placed his index finger and wallet on the handle of my weapon and pressed downward just a little bit, I got my wallet, and he left go of my weapon, I gave them my CPL and Drivers License, they asked if my weapon was registered to me, I jokingly asked them if they wanted to "run it" he laughed a bit and said no, they didnt run my name or my CPL, just kindly gave my documents back and told me to have a nice day. I apologized for the exposure and explained I had just gotten the new holster and obviously needed to lower the placement of the clips. The uniformed Officer left a few minutes later, the plain clothed officer and I talked about guns for a few minutes before he received a call.

Over all, good encounter, kinda upset the wife a little bit being we were doing nothing but yard work and someone obviously made a false complaint, I understand the weapon was slightly exposed, and if I am doing yard work, I dont see how it could alarm some people, but never the less, I killed them with kindness, and to put it in face of the complainant I came inside and put my weapon in an OWB holster and continued my yard work, no further LEO encounters for the day though.

Your thoughts?

Yeah, I think the mulch confirmed it for the complainant that you were planning a neighborhood massacre! There might be some mold in the mulch that will instantaneously turn you into a crazed gunman.
My advice....instead of planting flowers, plant a 40' bunker in your yard....that'll give 'em something to talk about.

just kidding. The one who reported you will be the first at your door for protection if there's trouble in the neighborhood....'cause they know you are armed.

In reality, they probably took the complaint with a grain of salt, but were required to check it out. The fact that you were level headed, offered full cooperation and disclosure of documents and offered verification of serial numbers, etc, did a lot to make them comfortable.

Plus, by the fact that they didn't take you away in handcuffs means the neighbor probably won't make false charges again....although they'll tell everyone they know about the "guy with the gun" in the neighborhood. You couldn't notify more people if you rented a billboard.

I've had my permit since 1993 here in Pennsylvania. Never had any problem open or concealed.
No one ever asked to see it either.

Concealed means concealed. This could have gone way worse. Dress differently and do a bend over test before going outside . The life you save may well be yours.

Concealed means concealed. This could have gone way worse. Dress differently and do a bend over test before going outside . The life you save may well be yours.

are you kidding? preaching like this is not going to go over well!
the OP was on his property. fortunately this incident went well, next time it might be a cop who is an anti or just an Ahole and things could go south real quick.

Seriously? He was doing yard work on his own property. Even in states that disallow open carry you can carry however you want on your own property. Who are you to tell others how they should dress on their own property? Sorry, I'm not going to live my life in fear of some stupid ass neighbors who want to make false reports and blatantly lie to the police.

I would DEMAND to know who made the complaint, since it was blatantly obvious that they LIED about you "waving the gun around." I would file a complaint against the person, and I might even consider filing a lawsuit against them for defamation of character, which is what they did when they falsely stated that you were handling a gun ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY in an erratic and irrational manner. The cowardly liberal (aw, come on, you KNOW it was a liberal) that called in the complaint probably thought he could watch you get tazed from his kitchen window.

I sometimes carry open here at home, and go to the mailbox at the curb or one of the several vehicles that we have parked here. I have yet to be confronted by any LEO. Had a nice conversation with one the other evening at the local gas station while carrying open, and no big deal. His question to me is "are you a local" to which I replied yes. He told me to be careful , finished fueling and left. Nice fellow.

I sometimes carry open here at home, and go to the mailbox at the curb or one of the several vehicles that we have parked here.
that may work out well for you but for many people the first few feet off the street in front of their homes is not their property, the local government has usually taken an easement or it is part of the right of way. most places have laws like we go here in FLA which are you can carry all you want on your property but take one step off your property and you could be in violation of the laws wherever it is you live.
YYMV

In his own damn front yard, you know, private property, his private property ..... oh hell no.

Also a quick check shows that MI is also an open carry state, so aside from he was in his own front yard, so what.

In his own damn front yard, you know, private property, his private property ..... oh hell no.

Also a quick check shows that MI is also an open carry state, so aside from he was in his own front yard, so what.

Send the fool who complained over here in Vermont and they'll REALLY crap their pants!
Open carry or concealed, no permit needed! Oh my god! All those backwards farmers carrying weapons openly!
Heaven help us.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I live about 15 minutes from flint. And yes for 1 Michigan is a open carry state. Also on your own property. It don't matter if your concealed and your shirt lifted. Because of the 2 reasons private property and OC state.

Also if your a cpl holder the gun don't have to be registered to you aslong as it is registered. However if it is not to you be sure your borrowed gun has the registration with it while in your possession. If it is registered to you aslong as it has been atleast 30 days then you don't have to carry the registration

If by chance a LE showed up and while I was on MY land said anything like that to me I would have asked do you have a warrant if not go away.

In Texas we can open carry on our property and when I go to the mailbox I cover it up and conceal carry. No problems but I am out of the city limits and everyone here has guns.

It's Flint, not like a lot of places. That the PD showed up at all is surprising. Not surprised that they took a gun call seriously (once they decided to send someone).

My yard my rules, carry all the time in my yard, I would have ask for the name of the person filing the complaint.

It's Flint, not like a lot of places. That the PD showed up at all is surprising. Not surprised that they took a gun call seriously (once they decided to send someone).

I think that you've missed the point, in the man's back yard he can carry a gun as he pleases, as long as he is not threatening anyone he is not breaking any laws. The law breakers were the one's who claimed he was waiving the weapon around, filing a false police report is a crime in most places

+1 to this response to the OP. Any follow up on the false report?

I am in the midst of a similar issue at work because I my king tuk protrudes above my belt so it was apparently 'threatening,' though empty, to members of my department. Winter is over so I carry differently (no jacket now) but I still am going through the job counseling process for my threatening behavior. The person(s) I offended are anonymous, but my offense at the character smear is being ignored.

Do all the 'white hat' folks encounter these issues now days?

I think that you've missed the point, in the man's back yard he can carry a gun as he pleases, as long as he is not threatening anyone he is not breaking any laws. The law breakers were the one's who claimed he was waiving the weapon around, filing a false police report is a crime in most places

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back