First time flying with gun -- am I doing it wrong?

my friend, don't try to make a simple law complicated. the law in FLA is that no firearm (except one packed for transport) shall be brought inside any terminal building. in other words no guns inside the terminal regardless of it being outside or inside the sterile areas.
like others have noted she was in violation of the law and in gun unfriendly miami she most certainly would have been detained or arrested

Portland OR (PDX) says the same thing, and even tried to enforce what you believe is true, but gun owners and the city have all ready told PDX it's perfectly legal to carry inside the airport area's before security.

Washington at both SeaTac and PSC are the same way. I open carry at PSC often with no problem.

Maybe Florida is weird, I don't live there, but by reading the law what you believe is true should not be. The simplest way to read the law is word for word, you are making it complicated for all those who want to follow the law by adding illegality which is not there...

My aunt and her three boys worked in an airport (Ontario CA), they confirmed what snatale and I thought, baggage claim is not a passenger terminal or sterile area.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

What you do in some other state has zero relevance to this discussion of what the laws are in FLA.

the 2 of you just don't get it, the baggage area is in the building that houses the terminal. the law in FLA says no guns inside any part of a terminal building. you are free to come here to FLA and go to a baggage area of any airport here and then discreetly make the security people aware that you are carrying a firearm. let me know how it works out.

Who's the dense one????

the only response I can give to someone this dense is for him to walk into an airport terminal building in FLA, find a cop or security guard and then discreetly mention to the cop or guard that you are carrying a firearm, then please let us know how things go from that point.

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT CARRYING IN AN AIRPORTS TERMINAL IS LEGAL!!!!!! That is illegal in all states! NOBODY is trying to say otherwise! I doubt you would find somebody even able to do what your saying since to enter an airports TERMINAL you would have to pass through a security checkpoint. Apparently the issue is you not able to differentiate an Airport common area from a terminal. I worked in an airport, I'm well aware of the difference, anybody on this forum that has worked in one will agree. Oh well. Not worth it.

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Baggage claim is located inside the lower levels of all 4 TERMINALS at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Since these TERMINALS serve passengers rather than cargo, that makes them PASSENGER TERMINALS.

Link Removed

Notice that according to the maps, the TERMINAL ends at the parking lot/roadway. Parts of the sterile area is open to passengers and parts of the sterile area is restricted. Federal law prohibits carrying firearms (with a few exceptions) in the sterile area of airports. A couple of states' laws, such as Florida, also prohibits the carrying of firearms in airport areas outside the sterile area. The legal method of arming oneself flying into Florida would be to claim your baggage, LEAVE THE BUILDING with the firearm in the luggage, and arm up at the first opportunity OUTSIDE THE BUILDING, which would likely be inside whatever private vehicle you would get into. In the OP's case, the most opportune AND LEGAL time to arm herself would have been inside her rental car.

Who's the dense one????

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT CARRYING IN AN AIRPORTS TERMINAL IS LEGAL!!!!!! That is illegal in all states!
wrong again sparky, in GA you are free to carry inside an airport terminal, you just need to stay out of the sterile/secure areas.

Who's the dense one????
you won't care for the response

I doubt you would find somebody even able to do what your saying since to enter an airports TERMINAL you would have to pass through a security checkpoint. Apparently the issue is you not able to differentiate an Airport common area from a terminal. I worked in an airport, I'm well aware of the difference, anybody on this forum that has worked in one will agree. Oh well. Not worth it.
this is where you go off the rails bubba, your definition of what constitutes a terminal building is flawed. I don't care where you worked or what you were told, in FLA the terminal building is the ENTIRE building housing passenger operations, not limited to just the place where you board the plane.

Who's the dense one????

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT CARRYING IN AN AIRPORTS TERMINAL IS LEGAL!!!!!! That is illegal in all states!

Wrong. In Washington it is perfectly legal to carry in all airport terminal areas outside of the sterile areas.

Baggage claim is located in the Main TERMINAL at SEA-TAC:
Link Removed

Also perfectly legal to open carry or conceal carry (with a CPL) in the Main TERMINAL at SEA-TAC:
Link Removed

Since these TERMINAL areas at SEA-TAC serve passengers, these areas would also be considered PASSENGER TERMINAL areas. Clearly the official airport websites/maps consider terminal areas to exist outside the sterile areas. I think we have an answer as to who is being dense.

RCW 9.41.300 (Washington):
RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.

Anybody still want to argue what the terminal is and is not?

wrong again sparky, in GA you are free to carry inside an airport terminal, you just need to stay out of the sterile/secure areas.

GA law (like most) allow CC in common area's. A TERMINAL is behind the security checkpoint. Your a moron and I'm not responding to you anymore. Go to an airport and ask TSA, Airport Police, A Ticketing counter agent I don't care. Airline TERMINALS are behind security checkpoints. If a state want's to redefine what an Airline Terminal is, fine, CITE THE RELEVANT LAW THAT IS DOING SO! and I will give you your credit. Until then, It's YOUR wrongful definition of a Airport Terminal vs word of law.

Unreal, for those who give a crap of what parts of an Airport is called what from Somebody that actually worked in the industry

Ticketing, Baggage Claim, Store's/Mall areas are called Common Area's - NOT a Terminal Not Sterile

When you pass the security checkpoint your are THEN in the TERMINAL which can also have store's restaurants etc. =STERILE

When you get to the area where you board the place that is called the GATE - OBVIOUSLY STERILE

STERILE = Guarded by Security Checkpoint or access control. which includes The Tarmac, Airstrips, Vendor entrances etc.

Unreal, for those who give a crap of what parts of an Airport is called what from Somebody that actually worked in the industry
Ticketing, Baggage Claim, Store's/Mall areas are called Common Area's - NOT a Terminal Not Sterile
When you pass the security checkpoint your are THEN in the TERMINAL which can also have store's restaurants etc. =STERILE
When you get to the area where you board the place that is called the GATE - OBVIOUSLY STERILE
STERILE = Guarded by Security Checkpoint or access control. which includes The Tarmac, Airstrips, Vendor entrances etc.

So, we can either believe the examples posted from official websites with maps, and the example in WA state law which clearly indicate you are wrong.... or we can believe you, probably a baggage tosser or maybe even a wand waver.

life is tough it's even tougher when you are stupid

and stubborn.

What you do in some other state has zero relevance to this discussion of what the laws are in FLA.

the 2 of you just don't get it, the baggage area is in the building that houses the terminal. the law in FLA says no guns inside any part of a terminal building. you are free to come here to FLA and go to a baggage area of any airport here and then discreetly make the security people aware that you are carrying a firearm. let me know how it works out.

Thankfully Navy knows how to show the proper description of the airport. I still do not see anywhere in the law say building.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

None of what I do is unconsicously done

apvbguy said:
next time it would be wiser to wait until you exit the actual structure to arm up.

Yeah, considered that. However, in general (or such is my impression) rental car lots tend to be in ... less-than-lovely ... areas (never been to one in FLL). Leaving the airport with the gun still secured and unreachable would entail a bus ride ... somewhere ... into a relatively (or more likely: mostly) unsecured lot, entering an office area where my situation (older, well-dressed white woman with two rolling carry-ons and a large-ish shoulder bag -- i.e., burdened and without a free hand!) would be easily observable, followed by that woman heading out across a pretty empty lot filled with unlocked cars full of keys ... followed by having to secure all that luggage in a rental car, followed by having to drive away (still, in that completely unknown and less-than-lovely area) and finding a SAFE place to park in which to un-secure the luggage, remove the gun and rounds, load same, re-secure everything -- ALL while not knowing anything about my surroundings?!?!

The ladies in the airport it is!

Navy-guy said:
Anybody still want to argue what the terminal is and is not?

Uh folks? Can I just point out it does not matter what any state defines as sterile or terminal or anything else in this area of concern? If the police state wants to screw with you -- they will. If they want to 'get' you; they can. We have NO defense against them! Right? ("The courts" -- after huge cost, time, discomfort, and perhaps injury or death -- are NOT a defense against the police state... We're back to "clean-up.")

IF any airport in the U.S. has installed cameras in the ladies (and I expect that's coming :mad: ), then what I did would result -- no matter the state, no matter whether or not the legislature of that state has worded or defined anything -- I WOULD be in serious trouble.

I am pointing out that FOR ME (and I am not recommending this to others) -- my least-worst choice was to do as I did; legal or not! I do not EVER make careless or unconsidered choices about a firearm. Re-arming myself in the ladies was my least-bad choice -- not one I'd choose freely, not one I'd recommend to others -- it was a gamble with odds I was willing to take, as against the gamble of a unknown area in a possibly bad state and wandering around unarmed.

And the whole point of concealed carry? Is that I am not supposed to be recognizable as armed, right? Reloading in the ladies and going 'back' to being that older white woman with too-much luggage who might seem a target merely puts me back in my normal state (of appearance, not state like geography :haha: ). I choose that 'state' with awareness of the possibility of metal detectors, and illegal existence in a controlled zone. The one I can't out-fox, the other I can choose (ever so carefully) to [strikeout]ignore[/strikeout] violate.

Uh folks? Can I just point out it does not matter what any state defines as sterile or terminal or anything else in this area of concern?

People need to know what the facts and laws are so that they can make an informed decision to violate the law, rather than violate it through ignorance and end up in handcuffs which was not their intent.

Im learning all kinds of new things here. I never imagined that owning a firearm would cause so much todo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using USA Carry mobile app

Im learning all kinds of new things here. I never imagined that owning a firearm would cause so much todo.

It doesn't need to. Some gun owners make a lot more out of owning/transporting/carrying a firearm than is necessary, IMHO. On another forum I posted, "I guess I am just a rebel. I have no issues with openly carrying my PT-145 loaded with handloads and having a beer with dinner at Applebees with no self defense legal insurance - and if a cop should stop me for a burned out brake light on the way home, I have no problems keeping my mouth shut about my CPL and firearm." In normal life, my gun goes on my belt like my cell phone goes in my pocket and I go about my daily business. When flying with it, the unloaded gun goes in a locked pistol case with a box of ammo in the corner, I sign the tag at the baggage counter, about 10 minutes for TSA to scan my luggage and off I go....

FYI - Denver International Airport will allow a person who is legally authorized to CC to carry in the main terminal, but not in any sterile secure area. Carry on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back