First time flying with gun -- am I doing it wrong?

Okay, got my replacement gun-vault -- and it's good. With some dismay, I've decided I'll have to use TSA-stupid-locks on the hard-sided checked bag and ship my work gear to my distributor by UPS. Will use the gun-vault cable to secure the gun-vault in the suitcase, and bring a couple of heavy-duty bike cables I have for securing my suitcases in the hotel and in the convertible trunk. (Yeah-so I'm paranoid... I don't feel I can securely lock the trunk on a convertible, because the top is so easy to get through... Yes, I even secure my purse handle through my seatbelt when I drive...)

Thank you all for great advice, and I'll report back after my trip.

Okay, got my replacement gun-vault -- and it's good. With some dismay, I've decided I'll have to use TSA-stupid-locks on the hard-sided checked bag and ship my work gear to my distributor by UPS. Will use the gun-vault cable to secure the gun-vault in the suitcase, and bring a couple of heavy-duty bike cables I have for securing my suitcases in the hotel and in the convertible trunk. (Yeah-so I'm paranoid... I don't feel I can securely lock the trunk on a convertible, because the top is so easy to get through... Yes, I even secure my purse handle through my seatbelt when I drive...)

Thank you all for great advice, and I'll report back after my trip.
can you say over kill?

I can, but I wouldn't!

Dja see the "new" news article about "the polar-bear game" -- also known as the knock-out game? There's an "oh my goodness!" article about this "game" having "just" come to Florida.... (No, it has just come out in the Florida media -- or perhaps it's that the Florida media has finally started reporting on it.) That's where gangs of blacks suddenly/randomly punch any-old white person on the street -- and if they knock that white person out with one punch, they "win"? And if they don't knock him or her unconscious, they often keep punching and kicking until they've seriously wounded or sometimes killed (!) the white person? It's not over-kill to be aware and prepared!
(And women DO have their purses yanked out of car windows when they don't secure them but keep the car windows open (or, in my case, drive a convertible). My sister's best friend (in CA) was punched in the side of the head at a stop light... I do NOT approve of a complete lack of situational awareness, in men or women!

Oh -- and I also bought a totally cool ''bullet wallet' -- an "MTM 18 Rounds 9MM Cal Case-Gard Ammo Wallet (Clear Smoke)." It holds (duh) 18 rounds, and closely very securely. I'm just wanting enough ammo for my trip, not intending to use any -- so this is perfect! Holds each round separately and securely and in only slightly larger than a pack of playing cards!

Oh -- and I also bought a totally cool ''bullet wallet' -- an "MTM 18 Rounds 9MM Cal Case-Gard Ammo Wallet (Clear Smoke)." It holds (duh) 18 rounds, and closely very securely. I'm just wanting enough ammo for my trip, not intending to use any -- so this is perfect! Holds each round separately and securely and in only slightly larger than a pack of playing cards!

Sorry if already posted in this thread, but I have had good luck by printing the TSA and airline rules and putting them in the bag with the gun. I have had to educate many counter workers in my travels.
FYI... if you fly out of Charlotte the TSA will break locks, they will not inspect your gun at the counter even if you ask for it. Ask me how I know. :blink:

Okay, so here's how it went!

Ended up with two gun vaults (200 and 100; gun and one empty mag in the 200; second mag and rounds in the bullet case in the smaller vault). Both secured by their cables to the handle-bars inside the new hard-case suitcase.

Could not imagine it taking more than 2 hours to get the airport (it's an hour drive -- no accidents, great weather, just dumb drivers, I guess...) so I stopped and called Delta to see if there was a seat on the next flight out. "Yes, there is a seat and it will cost $430." !!!
"Never mind, I'll try to make my flight!"

Got to the airport around 9:30 for the 9:55 flight; the nice Delta check-in lady laughed when I said: "I read that I should be very careful to tell you that 'I need the paperwork for flying with an unloaded firearm' -- they specifically said I should NOT to walk up to the counter and say 'I have a gun.' She said it was past the last check-in-bags time, so switched me (for free) to the next flight an hour later. Got me the red tag and we filled it out. She did ask to look inside the vaults, and I pointed out the mags were empty, but she didn't try to touch anything. Then she sent me to the "Odd-sized and Large Baggage" check-in office, where the TSA (?) lady borrowed my TSA-approved key to open my suitcase in front of me and agreed with me that both vaults were locked (she didn't ask to see inside); swabbed for explosives, relocked the suitcase (returned my key to me), and sent it off into the bowels of the airport....

Turned out I was PreCheck (maybe because I was flying First Class?), so an easy trip all told. Got to FLL, met my luggage, went straight to the ladies room near the carousels and loaded one mag, loaded the gun, put it in my purse and away I headed for the rental cars.

Lovely week in Florida -- great weather, good sales trip, good time with friends. Tried to 'check in' the night before, when Delta emailed me -- but the site wouldn't let me check-in online; said I had to check-in at the counter. (okay.) Drove back up from Key West the day of my flight home, got into the area early, so thought I'd try to get an earlier flight home. Got to the counter, asked for the red tag, we filled it out -- and there were two suits and what appeared to an airline baggage handler? They were standing at my check-in spot (on the inside), discussing tags and rerouting and so on, and apparently they were running a test because lots of bags were being tagged out front with the bar codes this way or that and so they were being sent to some space back there where they had to be hand-routed and so on.

Each time they moved to touch my (firearm-carrying) bag, I would bark "DON'T send that back yet!", the woman checking me in would say 'we're not done yet' to stop them from doing anything, and so on... They had some other tag that was apparently going to automatically route the bag for this test or whatever and I finally said: "hey look guys -- how 'bout you go find some OTHER bag to run this test with, instead of mine with a checked firearm! You know? Cause if this gets lost or misrouted, it's gonna involved the TSA and the ATF and the police and god knows who else!" (Thanks and a tip of my metaphorical hat to whoever it was here who mentioned (the threat of) 'getting the ATF involved' when a firearm-carrying bag did not show up at the carousel!)

'Oh,' they said, "it's not gonna get lost or anything; it'll just get routed a different way to the plane." In between all this I asked the woman if there were a seat on an earlier flight (I screwed up and was nearly 5 hours early!) she looked, and the way she said it made me think she was just not wanting to mess with these testing-guys... she said no. (sigh) Should have asked first thing... but I was ... off-plan by arriving so early. (I even forgot to refill the car! The nice Alamo guy, when I said I needed to drive back out -- because I knew they'd charge me, like, $5 a gallon, dropped the gas charge from $25 to $10; just to get me out of the car! (wink)) So, with ill-grace, I accepted that they were going to mess with my bag and so they stuck the extra tag on it and dropped it onto the belt...

Five hours later, the Delta metal arrived nearly a half-hour late (bad weather up north) and when we finally got underway, we managed to get to ATL only about 10 minutes late -- and then sat waiting for a gate for nearly a half hour more... Still, my bag showed up immediately on the carousel in ATL, I again made a trip to the rest room where I reloaded my equipment, and I was on my way home.

I VERY much appreciate all-y'all's willingness to help me figure out the best way to do this. I STILL hate the TSA 'security theater' -- oh and my luck! I refuse to be irradiated, so I got my first taste of a REAL groping. (Holy mother of god!!) I suppose I got an extra careful going-over (sheesh!) because they pulled both of my carry-ons for hand inspection. The 'under the seat' one because I missed removing a bottle of water (dumped three, missed one); and the larger one because the boxes of fudge looked bad on the x-ray. (I brought home 17 quarter-pounds chunks as gifts for my cul-de-sac neighbors for being such wonderful folks, always looking out for me since my husband died.) As the guy opened the fudge boxes (they were very nice about keeping me and my bags together; and letting me watch everything they did -- partly while the lady was groping me!), he breathed deeply and said wow! (It's great fudge; from Key West! The 'barn' where the Conch Train begins it tours...)

Anyway. Successful trip. Absolutely wanted to be (and glad I was!) armed while wandering around Florida, since I did not know good areas from bad areas! (And apparently got to visit some of each!) The convertible was great -- although I am now 100% convinced I do not want one of my own -- when the top is down, there's about 1-foot of trunk space left! I had to seat-belt the two carry-ons in the backseat, which did not make me feel especially secure about stopping anywhere! And I did manage the 5-6 hour drive down to Key West and the same back to Fort Lauderdale with the top down withOUT getting sunburned!! (SPF50, long-sleeve shirt, hat with brim...)

Turned out I was PreCheck (maybe because I was flying First Class?), so an easy trip all told. Got to FLL, met my luggage, went straight to the ladies room near the carousels and loaded one mag, loaded the gun, put it in my purse and away I headed for the rental cars.

You probably were not aware that the action of loading and concealing the gun inside the airport terminal in Florida violates Florida state law Title XLVI, Chapter 790.(12).(a).14:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
14. The inside of the passenger terminal
and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;

Sorry if already posted in this thread, but I have had good luck by printing the TSA and airline rules and putting them in the bag with the gun. I have had to educate many counter workers in my travels.
FYI... if you fly out of Charlotte the TSA will break locks, they will not inspect your gun at the counter even if you ask for it. Ask me how I know. :blink:

North Carolina continues on a very nice path toward being more gun friendly, all while the federal government and its agencies continue in the opposite direction. Depends on where you are, I've flown all over the world, and Chicago O'Hare, New York, and Charlotte are all places I've had to go through, and I grimace every time. Not advisable to even consider traveling to or thru the Marxist states any more (IL, CT, NY, NJ, CO, CA), NC is great once you get past Charlotte and their FAA. I'm near RDU, but still it's hard to avoid Charlotte.

You probably were not aware that the action of loading and concealing the gun inside the airport terminal in Florida violates Florida state law Title XLVI, Chapter 790.(12).(a).14:

I thought the same thing while reading the post. I believe that there are similar laws in most, if not all, other states.

Be thankful that you did not get caught with a concealed weapon in an airport building, even though you were in the process of exiting the facility. You would have had a pretty miserable vacation if you had.

I have not flown with a weapon yet, but when I do, I will be very careful of the local rules and laws.

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;

Is the baggage claim considered inside the terminal or sterile area? I didn't think it was, I thought the terminals and sterile areas were behind the screening areas.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

NavyCdr:
You probably were not aware that the action of loading and concealing the gun inside the airport terminal in Florida violates Florida state law...

On the contrary, I am very aware of it. I read the laws very carefully. However, I deny the state or federal government "permission" to remove my right of self-defense, when they have made clear THEY have no particular or specific interest in replacing it! If I am not able to 'refuse to patronize' places that wish to make me vulnerable, then to the maximum extent I am able, I continue to provide for my own safety.

It is my (actually, very UNcomfortable) decision to violate man's law in order to observe Nature's law. It's a 'roll of the dice' with a really horrendous downside, should I be called upon to defend myself in such a place. I'm not 100% sure the benefit equals or outweighs the detriment, but it's a gamble I feel I must make. Having read Andrew Branca's (terribly dismaying book) The Law of Self Defense, I have no question that the detriments of having the ability, and choosing, to defend myself would be horrendous. I make the determination for myself that the detriments of allowing myself to be unarmed in a bad area (an area advertising itself as a victim-zone) outweigh (even if only slightly) the detriments of any possible 'clean-up' afterwards.

(I do not recommend that course to anyone who has not become knowledgeable about the 'clean-up' -- and the possibility that a self-defensive action violating 'man's law' cannot BE cleaned up, and that it may cost more money than one has -- and result in punishment one will not come through unscathed. *I* make the determination for myself that the chance of being called upon to "brandish" [disgusted frown] my weapon to prevent an assault is a worthwhile gamble. I always acknowledge it is a gamble -- especially in this police state! As I wrote above: a very UNcomfortable decision!)

Is the baggage claim considered inside the terminal or sterile area? I didn't think it was, I thought the terminals and sterile areas were behind the screening areas.

my friend, don't try to make a simple law complicated. the law in FLA is that no firearm (except one packed for transport) shall be brought inside any terminal building. in other words no guns inside the terminal regardless of it being outside or inside the sterile areas.
like others have noted she was in violation of the law and in gun unfriendly miami she most certainly would have been detained or arrested

I've been reading and studying and planning... I'm flying Delta from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale (and later, back) in mid-December. I'm bringing my S&W 9mm because I'm driving around by myself (old-ish white lady) and I do not like to be disarmed. My CC license covers me in both states; and of course I'm bringing copies of the laws in both states with me. (And my CC license, and copies of the TSA laws and the Delta rules...)

Please, can anyone tell me if I'm over-preparing or doing it just about right?

I've got a hard plastic case for my gun, but it's not lockable. I chose that because I've also bought a hard-sided carry-on suitcase (that I will check) and (my reading leads me to conclude) if I do NOT lock the gun case itself inside a suitcase, then I can (or, rather, "must") use a non-TSA lock on that suitcase itself. Because I'm also not comfortable that the suitcase zipper and the expansion zipper are secure (enough), I am also planning to use the PacSafe 55L (wire security mesh) with a non-TSA lock around the entire hard-case suitcase.

Does that seem reasonable? (Does that seem like it will or won't raise all kinds of flags from both/either TSA or the baggage-handling apes?) I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of putting a locked handgun case in an easily opened suitcase -- hard or soft-sided. (The fact that it keeps any (out-of-sight) TSA from pawing through my cloths is also a benefit!)

Glad to be here, hope I can get some advice,
Elenor

p.s., I am packing the ammo out of the mag; just enough ammo to fill two mags, in a factory box in an unlocked plastic box in the checked hard-sided suitcase.

Just watch this Video...
Deviant Ollam - Packing and the Friendly Skies - LayerOne 2009 - YouTube

Remember to all that fly, DO not go to NEW YORK! you will be arrested...

Baggage claims aren't within the "inside of the passenger terminal" or "sterile area" you've already passed back though the checkpoints and are in open airport at that point.

Baggage claims aren't within the "inside of the passenger terminal" or "sterile area" you've already passed back though the checkpoints and are in open airport at that point.

using that kind of foolish analysis will get your butt tossed into jail in FLA and many other states

Why is it foolish? I know for a fact that's the way it is here in VA, and Florida SPECIFICALLY stated "inside the passenger terminal" and "sterile area" it would have made much more sense to just make Airports off limits for CC if that's what they truly wanted, don't you think? No room for opinion there! Nothing foolish about reading comprehension, A baggage claim is NOT inside of a "passenger terminal" and it's NOT a "sterile area". I've read a couple conflicting things on FL airport carry, but by word of law it's like everywhere else. Now whether they actually follow their own word of law or make it up as they go like NY and NJ airports, I don't know.

Why is it foolish? I know for a fact that's the way it is here in VA, and Florida SPECIFICALLY stated "inside the passenger terminal" and "sterile area" it would have made much more sense to just make Airports off limits for CC if that's what they truly wanted, don't you think? No room for opinion there! Nothing foolish about reading comprehension, A baggage claim is NOT inside of a "passenger terminal" and it's NOT a "sterile area".
you seem to be the one with the comprehension issues, in fla the terminal building is the entire structure that contains airport passenger operations. from the time you cross the threshold of the building you are inside the terminal. the mentioning of sterile areas is redundant, ticket counters or baggage areas are inside terminals regardless their being outside of sterile or secure areas of the terminal. your odd interpretation of where the baggage area is, is a surefire ticket to visiting jail and a judge.
the law is so simple even a twit should be able to understand it. Firearms are not permitted insider any airport terminal building in florida.

NavyCdr:

On the contrary, I am very aware of it. I read the laws very carefully. However, I deny the state or federal government "permission" to remove my right of self-defense, when they have made clear THEY have no particular or specific interest in replacing it! If I am not able to 'refuse to patronize' places that wish to make me vulnerable, then to the maximum extent I am able, I continue to provide for my own safety.

It is my (actually, very UNcomfortable) decision to violate man's law in order to observe Nature's law. It's a 'roll of the dice' with a really horrendous downside, should I be called upon to defend myself in such a place. I'm not 100% sure the benefit equals or outweighs the detriment, but it's a gamble I feel I must make. Having read Andrew Branca's (terribly dismaying book) The Law of Self Defense, I have no question that the detriments of having the ability, and choosing, to defend myself would be horrendous. I make the determination for myself that the detriments of allowing myself to be unarmed in a bad area (an area advertising itself as a victim-zone) outweigh (even if only slightly) the detriments of any possible 'clean-up' afterwards.

(I do not recommend that course to anyone who has not become knowledgeable about the 'clean-up' -- and the possibility that a self-defensive action violating 'man's law' cannot BE cleaned up, and that it may cost more money than one has -- and result in punishment one will not come through unscathed. *I* make the determination for myself that the chance of being called upon to "brandish" [disgusted frown] my weapon to prevent an assault is a worthwhile gamble. I always acknowledge it is a gamble -- especially in this police state! As I wrote above: a very UNcomfortable decision!)
next time it would be wiser to wait until you exit the actual structure to arm up.

you seem to be the one with the comprehension issues, in fla the terminal building is the entire structure that contains airport passenger operations. from the time you cross the threshold of the building you are inside the terminal. the mentioning of sterile areas is redundant, ticket counters or baggage areas are inside terminals regardless their being outside of sterile or secure areas of the terminal. your odd interpretation of where the baggage area is, is a surefire ticket to visiting jail and a judge.
the law is so simple even a twit should be able to understand it. Firearms are not permitted insider any airport terminal building in florida.

Please cite where Florida law specifically renames the sections of Airports. As somebody that used to work in an airport I assure you that a baggage claims and other "common areas" aka non-secure area's are NOT a Terminal. A Terminal is the area specifically controlled by the Airlines and not the Airport themselves. A "Sterile Area" would be the Terminal or Gate, Tarmac, Control Tower, Airstrips etc. This is why there is a security checkpoint to enter them vs the rest of the airport. IF Florida actually legally re-designates this and pretends that the ENTIRE airport is a terminal (which I doubt because the law wouldn't be worded that way) fine, Please site that law, and then I will know for future reference. This seems like my home state of MA where 90% of gun owners and 8/10 Police will tell you that Open Carry is illegal, and many people have their days wrecked for doing it......BUT IT'S NOT!!!!!

Sterile Area: As defined in Title 49 CFR §1540.5, “…a portion of an airport defined in the airport
security program that provides passengers access to boarding aircraft and to which the access generally
is controlled by TSA.”

the only response I can give to someone this dense is for him to walk into an airport terminal building in FLA, find a cop or security guard and then discreetly mention to the cop or guard that you are carrying a firearm, then please let us know how things go from that point.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back