First time carrying right now

mwhals

I had my Ruger SP101 3" .357 Magnum for three months, but just today received my Ryan Grizzle IWB holster. I always take 3 mile walks in the evening. I now have it with me on the walk with the gun unloaded to get a good feel for it.

To get used to it on me in the brand new holster. I live in the country, so I am not concerned about doing it once. In the city, it would be loaded.

Looking for critiques or suggestions if any improvement potential is noticed other than the belt and holster color being different. The gut is melting away with 9 pounds lost so far. :)

Link RemovedLink Removed

Congrats, before long it will become second nature, and you think no more of carrying your gun than you do to your wallet, or keys or phone.

My wife had no idea I was wearing it. Taking it on the three mile walk helps a lot getting used to it. I do plan on getting a smaller gun for summer. I also think there is a benefit to wearing a T-shirt underneath.

Oh, and carry loaded, always. You may well be safe from the 2-legged vermin, but what about a pack of dogs, or a rabid fox or racoon?

I had my Ruger SP101 3" .357 Magnum for three months, but just today received my Ryan Grizzle IWB holster. I always take 3 mile walks in the evening. I now have it with me on the walk with the gun unloaded to get a good feel for it.

I, also, have a Ruger SP-101 w/ 3" barrel. (Actually, my wife owns it!) I really like the SP-101; it's a little heavy; but it's a VERY strong revolver that we've, both, often shot until it's too hot to hold against bare skin. The gun has never so much as hiccuped! I'm well-known on major gun boards for recommending that civilians should usually carry their semiautomatic pistols in C-3.

(Many other gun owners don't agree with me, some almost violently; but, then again, many other gun owners don't know the same gun toting civilians that I do, nor have they seen what I've seen! So, oftentimes, your perspective on things changes as you age.)

This said: I've got to tell you I think that, to say the least, you're being overly cautious. It makes no sense, whatsoever, for you to be walking around carrying an empty pistol. Why not spend a similar amount of time memorizing Cooper's Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety while you practice keeping your trigger finger ARROW STRAIGHT and immediately above the guard every time you handle your pistol?

Ultimately it's going to be DEEPLY INGRAINED PERSONAL HABITS like these that will actually keep you safe - Not walking around with an empty gun. As far as this old gunman is concerned there's seldom a good reason not to have a gun; and, unless you're doing something like practicing or cleaning, your gun should always be loaded. The 12 lb. + trigger pull on that (true) double-action Ruger revolver is sufficient to forgive a minor handling error. Enjoy your new SP-101; it's a great little pistol in a really big caliber!

NOTES: HKS makes useful, twist-top speedloaders; Bianchi offers pocket, 'speed strips'; and Matt Del Fatti makes the very best leather speedloader pouches I've ever seen for the SP-101. When I carry a revolver (not all that often) I always wear two of Matt's pouches immediately in front of the holster - Which is the correct way to carry revolver speedloader pouches.

(According to Jim Cirillo: Never attempt to load a combat revolver with your support hand. A statement with which I, wholeheartedly, agree!)

PICTURES:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Thanks. Empty was only to allow for practicing drawing it safely. To walk, I didn't see taking the time to load it for the first walk. I have walked 7 years without a gun, so one time with one unloaded was not a big deal. It is normally loaded and will always be loaded when carrying. I do plan on getting a semi-automatic soon. They should sit flatter due to their design. The weight of the SP101 is not an issue for me.

Howdy,

Instead of wearing a t-shirt I always wear a wife beater a-shirt. It's cool in the summer and keeps the gun from rubbing my skin eventhough I carry OWB.

Paul

I wear a t-shirt tucked in in the winter. An a-shirt tucked in in the summer. Always have some sort of cover shirt on. I also carry concealed OWB, but I have a lot of pancake holsters that would otherwise rub on my skin.
OC is ok here in Mi., but I choose CC for the most part.
Once you find the combination of what's comfortable for you, you will forget your carrying at all.

And the blind walks on...........An unloaded, untrained carrier does nothing more than give that person a false sense of security. Buck up and take some self defense classes. Your mindset is not conducive to personal protection. Education and training is the KEY. An unloaded weapon is no more than a hammer with no nails. Please take responsibility, this is a Life/Death choice. NOT necessarily your own but the people (citizens) around you.

Excuse me, but you know nothing of my mindset. The SP101 is not my first gun. Do you not think I am being responsible? I said I had it on me to practice drawing the gun with my finger along the frame. It was a sudden decision for us to walk at that time to beat the rain, so I left the house. You do not walk in my shoes. I have far more responsibility in my job to keep the public safe than you could imagine. Further, I had to have training to get a permit. My dad taught me growing up. I am not new to guns. I am only new to CCW. I would not carry if I did not respect guns.

Furthermore, only an idiot would think they are protected with an empty gun. I am no idiot. As a matter of fact, that one time is the only time I carried it unloaded for reasons I already outlined.

This holier than thee attitude is not welcome and I will not tolerate it.

The fact is I do plan on taking self defense classes to further my education, including with a knife since I can't have my gun with me at work or in the parking lot due to security rules. Never assume you know everything about a person, because you DON'T!

Almost a month of carrying now and it is much more comfortable now. Still will get a smaller gun for summer.

My wife can't tell when I am carrying and when I am not. I call that success!

That all depends on if you can deploy the gun in time to neutralize the threat against you. In an open carry state such as West Virginia, keeping the gun absolutely hidden from everyone would be and is my last concern much lower on the "success" scale than ability to rapidly deploy the weapon.

My wife can't tell when I am carrying and when I am not. I call that success!

Not that it matters. Don't obsess about the concealment aspect. Most people don't notice concealed firearms, even when they print. Many people walk blindly through this world and wouldn't even notice if you carried openly.

Have you given more thought about taking a defensive pistol class? Training is not only about learning new things, but also discovering and correcting deficiencies and equipment issues. Instead of spending money on a "summer gun," spend it on getting training.

As for self defense with a knife, get educated, then get some self-defense gel spray (if legal), collapsible baton (if legal), and a flashlight. If you are an office worker, consider body armor (e.g., the Link Removed) that you can keep in your office in case of an active shooter.

I would never advise carrying an unloaded firearm; to much risk for no benifit in return.

We had blade instruction in my CC class, as well as drawing and firing from all kinds of positions. It was very thorough, and I appreciated the blade training. Made me feel I was getting more bang-for-the-buck (pun intended).

I always carry one in the pipe. Never saw it as any kind of risk.

I would never advise carrying an unloaded firearm; to much risk for no benifit in return.

Did you not even read all the comments??? That was one time and as explained before, I was in a hurry to beat rain for a walk when I had been dry firing and practicing with drawing the gun. Good grief! I have never carried unloaded since!

I guess others missed that I was planning to take more defensive classes.

Did you not even read all the comments??? That was one time and as explained before, I was in a hurry to beat rain for a walk when I had been dry firing and practicing with drawing the gun. Good grief! I have never carried unloaded since!

I guess others missed that I was planning to take more defensive classes.
That was 2 weeks ago, I totally forgot this thread even existed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back