First aid/first response kits?

S&WM&P40

I just picked up a first aid kit at a local army navy store and it came with some good stuff but I need to add some to it. I was wounder what items people think are a must have for a range/vest first aid kit? Keep in mind I'm setting my first aid kit up to deal with gunshot wounds and major blood loss so what do you think are some musts to have for this role? What do you keep in your first response kits? Here is just a short run down of things that came with the kit.

1. 1) SS Tweezers
  2. 1) EMT Shears
  3. 1 SS hemostat ( it's useless it's a cheapo will have to replace with a better one or with a few)
  4. 4) 4''x4'' sponge
  5. 2) bloodstopper kit
  6. 2) elastic bdge 2''
  7. 2) Bdg gauze 4'' x4''.1y.
  8. 16) Bdge strip 3"x1"
  9. 3) 5'x9' Abd. pad
  10. 1) Multitrauma dress
  11. Basic first Aid care sheet.
  12. 1) Airway (100mm)
  13. 1) Tape
  14. 1) Suture
  15. 1) Pair of gloves
  16. 10) Paine reliver's ( cheap will replace)
  17. 1) Tourniquet
  18. 12) BZK wipes
  19. 12) Iodine wipes
  20. 1) Triangular Bdge
  21. 5) Butter fly clos.strips
  22. 2) ammonia inhalants
  23. 1) First aid burn cream
What should I add to this kit? I have been told a chest seal, one handed tourniquiet and a few pessure dressings. Is that it?

what I would add

I just picked up a first aid kit at a local army navy store and it came with some good stuff but I need to add some to it. I was wounder what items people think are a must have for a range/vest first aid kit? Keep in mind I'm setting my first aid kit up to deal with gunshot wounds and major blood loss so what do you think are some musts to have for this role? What do you keep in your first response kits? Here is just a short run down of things that came with the kit.

1. 1) SS Tweezers
  2. 1) EMT Shears
  3. 1 SS hemostat ( it's useless it's a cheapo will have to replace with a better one or with a few)
  4. 4) 4''x4'' sponge
  5. 2) bloodstopper kit
  6. 2) elastic bdge 2''
  8. 16) Bdge strip 3"x1"
  9. 3) 5'x9' Abd. pad
  10. 1) Multitrauma dress
  12. 1) Airway (100mm)
  13. 1) Tape
  14. 1) Suture
  15. 1) Pair of gloves
  17. 1) Tourniquet
  18. 12) BZK wipes
  19. 12) Iodine wipes
  20. 1) Triangular Bdge
  22. 2) ammonia inhalants
What should I add to this kit? I have been told a chest seal, one handed tourniquiet and a few pessure dressings. Is that it?

more gloves...nitrile not laytex
a buddybreather...Mouth To Mouth Check Valve
Maxipads for large compression dressings
Tampons...they fill bullet holes in arms and legs and buy time for the ER staff
military clotting dressings
field dressings
US Army Special forces first aid manual.

first off, to qualify my input, please know that I'm an EMT, so I know some stuff :to_pick_ones_nose3:

There's some sweet stuff out there, and also new rules/protocols regarding tourniquets. We're looking at using these: Link Removed

you can also get a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff) and stethoscope (heart listener thingamabob) and learn how to use 'em, because if you're bringing someone to the ER (rather than waiting for us in the ambulance, they kinda like to know what kind of blood pressure a guy's running.

festus, the 5x9 abd. pads are for the big bleeders, but I'm sure sanitary napkins are cheaper. Plus they have a fresh scent . . .

and you're right on the mask, lots easier than getting a mouth-to-mouth seal. That being said, if you're doing CPR, it's more important to do compressions than breathe for a person. The latest data shows that the blood in the body has quite a bit of oxygen in it yet, and if you just keep doing chest compressions at approx. 100 beats/minute you're going to keep tissue (i.e. the brain) perfused with oxygenated blood.

occlusive dressings are also a good idea if you're worried about GSWs, especially with a lung shot. Tape and some saran wrap is a good thing to have. I could go into how you should tape 'em down, but that's another thread (and is probably somewhere on the interwebs).

lots of gloves, and a face mask and safety glasses aren't bad either. Don't want any blood in yer eyes.

more alcohol prep pads too.

1. 1) SS Tweezers
  2. 1) EMT Shears
  4. 4) 4''x4'' sponge
  5. 2) bloodstopper kit
  6. 2) elastic bdge 2''
  8. 16) Bdge strip 3"x1"
  9. 3) 5'x9' Abd. pad
  10. 1) Multitrauma dress
  12. 1) Airway (100mm)
  13. 1) Tape
  14. 1) Suture
  15. 1) Pair of gloves
  17. 1) Tourniquet
  18. 12) BZK wipes
  19. 12) Iodine wipes
  20. 1) Triangular Bdge
  22. 2) ammonia inhalants

i will be honest I am an EMT also. I will also be honest I wouldn't buy a bunch of single use things. Focus on your Personal Protection stuff(gloves) and ABC's. Airway breathing and Circulation. So yes good ahead and get a CPR mask, an Oral Airway sized appropriate, and a Vaseline Dressing. There's your airway and breathing, I mean sure you can get a small o2 tank and a Bag Valve Mask for postive pressure venting someone back thats a lot of bulk.Now circulation get 4x4 gauzes pad, 2 inch medical tape, trauma dressings and roller gauze(its generally 4 inch wide by 4 yds long.

Ok there's your basic ABC's.

If you want to perform first aid/above and beyond wound care. You can get some triangle bandages for immobilization, Iodine wipes, and maybe a big gauze pads something at-least as big or bigger than 5x9. But for a gunshot kit that's plenty, course I understand you probably are pre-planning for some basic first aid too. But seriously I don't recommend creams and whatnot for emergencies[/U. I see you have hemostats on your list, just before what your removing no bullets. Tourniquet, seriously be-careful, they can turn into a nightmare, as an EMT I had 48 hrs worth of training on how to use them correctly and diagnosing when to use one. Don't want you or your buddy to loose an arm or leg.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back