FBI Says 9mm Is The Best Pistol Round

I've always been a big fan of the .45 acp. and always will be. However, since I tried the new Glock 43 9mm, and discovered this great ammo from Winchester, the Glock 43 has become my EDC.

I think if I could only have 6 or 7 rounds of ammo in the handgun, I'd stick with .357 magnum. My Chiappa Rhino 2" .357 magnum carries 6 rounds and the hexagonal shape of the cylinder makes it much more compact than most revolvers. And the unique design which places the barrel lining up with the bottom of the cylinder makes .357 mag rounds easily manageable even with such a small and light revolver. Or I could carry my S&W 586 L-comp which though it is a medium sized handgun, still conceals quite well and holds 7 rounds of .357 magnum.

As much as I like the .357 magnum rounds, my EDC is still my Sig P227 SAS Gen 2 which holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. I usually carry my Rhino as a backup to my Sig.

I thought they switched to 40 cal. years back because a 9 won't shoot (well) through car windows or seats..........

SWAT 9mm vs 45

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/view/9mm-vs.-.45-here-we-go-again

A S.W.A.T. reader has asked what my opinion is regarding calibers and large-capacity magazines in off-duty or CCW carry configurations.
First and foremost, the purpose of having a pistol is for self-defense, right? That being said, on LAPD we have had dozens and dozens of incidents where the 9mm failed to stop the threat.
When I was in charge of the firearms and tactics program for Metro Division, I pushed everyone to carry the .45. Only one individual refused. He was a good guy and worked K-9.
One day he stopped by his parents’ hobby shop on the way to work. No sooner had he walked in than he realized his parents and their shop had been the victims of a take-over robbery. Three bad guys had placed his parents and an employee in a back closet and the officer was forced to join them. While putting him in the back room, the bad guy slammed the door shut, but it promptly opened up a bit. The officer had a high-capacity 9mm on his person. He then heard one suspect state, “Cap them.” One of the suspects started back toward the room. The officer steadied himself and waited.
Then things got interesting.

When the door opened, the officer fired approximately ten rounds into the suspect’s chest.
Then things became even more interesting.

The suspect and the officer became engaged in a running gunfight throughout the store. The suspect did finally expire, but not before the fight had continued for about a minute. I’d told the officer about the 9mm, but it had gone in one ear and out the other. He purchased a .45 the next day!

If everyone in “old school” Metro, SWAT and SIS carried a .45, then it was for good cause. These men and women confronted bad guys on a daily basis. By bad guys, I mean really, really bad guys. Serial killers, bank robbers, gang members, dope dealers—basically the worst of the worst. These people were involved in quite a few gunfights. We learned from history that it was far better to definitively stop the fight at the outset rather than allow it to drag on and on where the outcome might be somewhat uncertain.

The .45—based on history—seems to work fairly well in stopping fights with the fewest number of rounds placed downrange. I have personally used a .45 in three of my shootings (a shotgun in the other two).

Some individuals will point out that manufacturers have improved the 9mm and .40 rounds. They additionally state that these rounds are much more effective than the rounds available a few decades ago.
All true, but what they seem to have lost sight of is when ammunition manufacturers improve one round, they improve all the rounds. So the .45 round has been improved also. Applying simple deductive logic, an improved .45 round will still be more efficient than an improved 9mm round.

Some individuals like to point to large-capacity magazines. The minute the fight starts, it is not uncommon for bad guys to start moving, running and seeking cover. In other words, you can have a lot of rounds, but if within a fraction of a second a suspect has moved, run or gone out of sight, remaining rounds may be of little use.

To stop a fight effectively, the initial rounds downrange need to connect—and when they connect, they should possess the ability to severely degrade the opponent’s threat or stop it entirely.
One fact that people overlook is that in an off-duty capacity, you most probably have no shotgun, no rifle, no body armor, no communications, no air support, and no partner. And most likely those who are with you are more of a detriment than an asset in a life-or-death encounter. If at any time you needed the most effective round possible, this is it!

If one’s concern is high capacity, then carry more magazines. Don’t bet on the fact that the suspect is going to allow you to run through boatloads of rounds and bushels of magazines before his threat is neutralized. Some suspects will not afford you the opportunity for multiple follow-up shots. In other words, if you do not stop him at the outset, it may not go well for you.
All of this is my personal opinion. But it is my personal opinion based on 36 years of experience participating in, studying and investigating shootings.

More rounds downrange do not necessarily translate into a more effective stoppage of the threat. From my perspective, fewer and more effective rounds downrange that do connect seem to provide a more positive outcome in these situations.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would listen to those who have used certain calibers in situations where the outcome was positive.

Scott Reitz is a 30-year veteran of the Los Angeles Police Department and the director of the highly acclaimed International Tactical Training Seminars.

SWAT 9mm vs 45

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/view/9mm-vs.-.45-here-we-go-again

A S.W.A.T. reader has asked what my opinion is regarding calibers and large-capacity magazines in off-duty or CCW carry configurations.
First and foremost, the purpose of having a pistol is for self-defense, right? That being said, on LAPD we have had dozens and dozens of incidents where the 9mm failed to stop the threat.
When I was in charge of the firearms and tactics program for Metro Division, I pushed everyone to carry the .45. Only one individual refused. He was a good guy and worked K-9.
One day he stopped by his parents’ hobby shop on the way to work. No sooner had he walked in than he realized his parents and their shop had been the victims of a take-over robbery. Three bad guys had placed his parents and an employee in a back closet and the officer was forced to join them. While putting him in the back room, the bad guy slammed the door shut, but it promptly opened up a bit. The officer had a high-capacity 9mm on his person. He then heard one suspect state, “Cap them.” One of the suspects started back toward the room. The officer steadied himself and waited.
Then things got interesting.

When the door opened, the officer fired approximately ten rounds into the suspect’s chest.
Then things became even more interesting.

The suspect and the officer became engaged in a running gunfight throughout the store. The suspect did finally expire, but not before the fight had continued for about a minute. I’d told the officer about the 9mm, but it had gone in one ear and out the other. He purchased a .45 the next day!

If everyone in “old school” Metro, SWAT and SIS carried a .45, then it was for good cause. These men and women confronted bad guys on a daily basis. By bad guys, I mean really, really bad guys. Serial killers, bank robbers, gang members, dope dealers—basically the worst of the worst. These people were involved in quite a few gunfights. We learned from history that it was far better to definitively stop the fight at the outset rather than allow it to drag on and on where the outcome might be somewhat uncertain.

The .45—based on history—seems to work fairly well in stopping fights with the fewest number of rounds placed downrange. I have personally used a .45 in three of my shootings (a shotgun in the other two).

Some individuals will point out that manufacturers have improved the 9mm and .40 rounds. They additionally state that these rounds are much more effective than the rounds available a few decades ago.
All true, but what they seem to have lost sight of is when ammunition manufacturers improve one round, they improve all the rounds. So the .45 round has been improved also. Applying simple deductive logic, an improved .45 round will still be more efficient than an improved 9mm round.

Some individuals like to point to large-capacity magazines. The minute the fight starts, it is not uncommon for bad guys to start moving, running and seeking cover. In other words, you can have a lot of rounds, but if within a fraction of a second a suspect has moved, run or gone out of sight, remaining rounds may be of little use.

To stop a fight effectively, the initial rounds downrange need to connect—and when they connect, they should possess the ability to severely degrade the opponent’s threat or stop it entirely.
One fact that people overlook is that in an off-duty capacity, you most probably have no shotgun, no rifle, no body armor, no communications, no air support, and no partner. And most likely those who are with you are more of a detriment than an asset in a life-or-death encounter. If at any time you needed the most effective round possible, this is it!

If one’s concern is high capacity, then carry more magazines. Don’t bet on the fact that the suspect is going to allow you to run through boatloads of rounds and bushels of magazines before his threat is neutralized. Some suspects will not afford you the opportunity for multiple follow-up shots. In other words, if you do not stop him at the outset, it may not go well for you.
All of this is my personal opinion. But it is my personal opinion based on 36 years of experience participating in, studying and investigating shootings.

More rounds downrange do not necessarily translate into a more effective stoppage of the threat. From my perspective, fewer and more effective rounds downrange that do connect seem to provide a more positive outcome in these situations.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would listen to those who have used certain calibers in situations where the outcome was positive.

Scott Reitz is a 30-year veteran of the Los Angeles Police Department and the director of the highly acclaimed International Tactical Training Seminars.

Bravo Sir! Well and convincingly stated. My personal opinion which is in complete agreement with yours carries no weight as I am not in law enforcement. However, being a firearms enthusiast and gun nut for some 40 years or more, I feel I have a little common sense to go with my years. Couple that with the many LEOs and retired LEOs that are dear friends, and who echo your very sentiments and I too will stay with the .45 and feel safer. I had my say earlier, but was pretty much beaten back by a "Stat" guy. I tend to stop when that occurs. But you most eloquently stated exactly what most of us think or know already, either experience or common sense guides us.

Well, I guess this could become a debate on whether you like cops or not. Since the FBI is telling law enforcement to carry 9mm, the police can now be intimidated by those of US citizens carrying 357's and 45's. :jester:

^^^No kidding. We have more sense than the FBI and lately I think it stands for Federal Bunch of Idiots. :haha:

I'm confident with my Sig 40 cal loaded with the the Hornady 165s. As I said before, as fast as the PDX1 9mm 124+P but bigger and heavier. Is it as good as the 45acp? I'd think so. :dirol:

High capacity is good if you plan to miss a lot. If you can't get it done with three, throw the gun at them and run. :wink:

If you shoot 10 rounds in rapid succession at the center of mass of a threat that is not within arms length distance, you are simply doing it wrong. No pistol caliber will offset your training deficiencies, or the deficiencies of those that train you.

High capacity really comes into play when engaging multiple threats, reducing the need for an emergency reload, and when engaging threats at distance, where you will miss.

Get trained to learn these skills and practice those skills regularly! Proper training and practice is simply more important than choosing between 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP.

When it comes to shot placement, I prefer to aim for the groin/hip area. If you train to shoot for center mass, you're going to be in for a rude awakening the day you cross paths with a thug wearing body armor. Even if you know he's wearing body armor, your muscle memory is still going to cause you to aim for center mass. And since the head is a smaller target, easy to miss when the adrenaline hits your system, I go for the other debilitating area, being the groin/hips. It will put the scumbag down and, even if he lives, he'll wish he didn't.

Something to consider:
Increased bullet mass will increase penetration. Increased velocity will increase penetration but only until the bullet begins to deform, at which point increased velocity decreases penetration. Permanent cavity can be increased by the use of expanding bullets, and/or larger diameter bullets, which have adequate penetration. However, in no case should selection of a bullet be made where expansion is necessary to achieve desired performance. Handgun bullets expand in human target only 60-70% of the time at best. Damage to the hollow point by hitting bone, glass, or other intervening obstacles can prevent expansion. Clothing fibers can wrap the nose of the bullet in a cocoon like manner and prevent expansion.
Insufficient impact velocity caused by short barrels and/or longer range will prevent expansion, as will simple manufacturing variations. Expansion must never be the basis for bullet selection, but considered a bonus when, and if, it occurs. Bullet selection should be determined based on penetration first, and the unexpanded diameter of the bullet second, as that is all the shooter can reliably expect.

Something to consider:
Increased bullet mass will increase penetration. Increased velocity will increase penetration but only until the bullet begins to deform, at which point increased velocity decreases penetration. Permanent cavity can be increased by the use of expanding bullets, and/or larger diameter bullets, which have adequate penetration. However, in no case should selection of a bullet be made where expansion is necessary to achieve desired performance. Handgun bullets expand in human target only 60-70% of the time at best. Damage to the hollow point by hitting bone, glass, or other intervening obstacles can prevent expansion. Clothing fibers can wrap the nose of the bullet in a cocoon like manner and prevent expansion.
Insufficient impact velocity caused by short barrels and/or longer range will prevent expansion, as will simple manufacturing variations. Expansion must never be the basis for bullet selection, but considered a bonus when, and if, it occurs. Bullet selection should be determined based on penetration first, and the unexpanded diameter of the bullet second, as that is all the shooter can reliably expect.

To add to that, JHP expansion occurs after 1 inch of penetration.

When it comes to bullet mass, it is actually momentum (mass times velocity) that creates penetration. This is especially important when selecting a round for woods defense. Always use the heaviest hardcast round for a specific caliber, even if it has slightly less energy than other loads.

Note that my earlier calculation of 9mm vs. .45 ACP (60% difference) holds true for non expanded rounds as well.

I have $14 million in liability insurance & 117 cases of lawsuit (civil) experience, shooting since1965, Glocks from 1990, & I read many documents. 40sw is where my $ goes, 5 Glocks all 40sw, shoot weekly, Ccw, 1995 NRA Cert. Instructor, California qualified to carry: 38, 9mm, 40sw, 357Sig, 45.

Sent from my SM-G386T1

I have $14 million in liability insurance & 117 cases of lawsuit (civil) experience, shooting since1965, Glocks from 1990, & I read many documents. 40sw is where my $ goes, 5 Glocks all 40sw, shoot weekly, Ccw, 1995 NRA Cert. Instructor, California qualified to carry: 38, 9mm, 40sw, 357Sig, 45.

You have to "qualify" to carry each individual caliber in CA now? Is that a state or county requirement? When I left that pabulum-puking cesspool in '92, there was virtually no such thing as a privately-held CCW within 300 miles of LA County, and I couldn't even testify to there being any to speak of up North at that time either. I don't think any of the counties in SoCal have changed since then, but a CCW that only qualifies an individual to carry one specific caliber somewhere in the state is a tiny step in the right direction I suppose.

How many other citizens of CA would you guess are so widely "qualified" as you to carry pretty much any caliber they want to?

Blues

The best area to stop a deadly threat is the ocular/nasal rectangle (head shot) if he is wearing armor. Practice moving target marksmanship, especially at a dynamic training facility.

The best area to stop a deadly threat is the ocular/nasal rectangle (head shot) if he is wearing armor. Practice moving target marksmanship, especially at a dynamic training facility.

Due to the lack of a like button, +1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back