Farmington man who stops robber charged with felony

Sure, we the government will give a liscense to carry, or permission to carry, but, if you ever, ever, exercise your rights to use it, we will hang your sorry ass out to dry.

Problem wasn't exactly exercising his rights to use the firearm, it was discharging the firearm in an ignorant and reckless manner. Do you honestly believe that the guy was shooting at the guy to defend himself?

Reality was, the man was upset that the guy stole his stuff, he chased him and rather than call the police and let them handle it, he figured he'd "stop" the guy by threatening him with a firearm. The moment he discharged his firearm off into who knows where, he became a criminal. Too many times folks get caught up in the moment and "forget" about the consequences of their actions.

If he discharged it into the dirt they can hardly claim endangering the public. The most would be unlawful discharge within city limits, or some such. Who knows what he told police about that, but I've got two words for the citizens who may be called for jury duty: Jury Nullification.

Simple case where the good guy turns into the BG and the BG becomes the poor victim that got caught. He will get out of jail and go find another house to rob. Now the BG which was once a good guy will spend his retirement savings to fight felony charges.

Follow Up Article

Here is a follow up article from fosters. I am copy-pasting instead of a link because fosters requires you to register just to read an article.

"Farmington homeowner doesn't regret firing gun: Though he might take different approach to stopping burglar in future

By DANIELLE CURTIS [email protected]
[email protected]
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

John Huff/Staff photographer Farmington resident Dennis Fleming of Ten Road Road has been charged with Class B felony reckless conduct for firing his gun into the ground while apprehending a burglary suspect who is accused of breaking into his home and a neighbor's on Saturday.
Click here to view Foster's prints for sale

FARMINGTON — While he may be facing a felony charge, Dennis Fleming said he does not regret firing his gun Saturday when he stopped and detained a burglar who had entered his home and at least one other on Ten Rod Road.

Still, the 61-year-old grandfather of 14 said he might go about stopping the burglar a little differently next time.

"I should have called police and I recommend that everyone does," he said. "That aside, I'm glad I caught him."

Fleming was arrested late Saturday night after turning himself into police and charged with felony reckless conduct, alleging he put others at risk of serious bodily injury when he discharged his firearm into the ground near 27-year-old Joseph Hebert in a residential area where people had gathered to watch the ordeal unfold.

Though shots were fired, no one was injured. Fleming was released on personal recognizance bail soon after his arrest.

Fleming related Saturday afternoon's events to Foster's on Monday, saying it began when he arrived at his 1826 farmhouse, which has been in his family for decades, at approximately 1:45 p.m. and found drawers opened and his belongings scattered around the house.

He said he couldn't tell right away if anything from his home was missing, and that after about 10 or 15 minutes of checking his house for damage and stolen items, he noticed a man walking down the street with a backpack.

"I said, 'That can't be him,'" Fleming said Monday, but decided to see if it was, driving his truck down the road.

After he did not find the man, Fleming said he went back to his house, grabbed his gun, and decided to walk down the street to talk with neighbors and find out if they had seen anyone suspicious in the area.

It was on this walk that he saw the man with the backpack, later identified to be Hebert, again, coming out of a neighbor's back window.

"I heard, 'Crash, bang boom!', and he came flying out the back window," Fleming said. It was later determined Hebert had left Fleming's house in a similar fashion, jumping from a second-story window about 15 feet down to the ground.

What happened next Fleming said was a result of him acting on an instinct to not only stop the man, but protect himself.

"I had drawn my gun ... I had a bypass last year, I have a bad knee, bad back, I don't want this guy to come at me," he said Monday. "I yelled, 'Freeze!' and fired my gun into the ground."

Fleming held the man at gunpoint until police arrived to help. Found in the man's backpack were a number of items, including old pocket watches that belonged to Fleming's father and silver coins, taken from another residence.

After he fired the gun, Fleming said, the alleged burglar was not only calm, but apologetic.

"He felt bad," Fleming said. "I told him if he's got a problem, get help. I feel bad for the guy, but not that bad, he was in my house."

It was Saturday night, when Fleming called local police to find out if Hebert had been released on bail, concerned he might try to come back to the house, that he learned he himself was going to be charged in the incident.

While he said he knows he broke the law by firing his weapon, he said the charge, a Class B felony punishable by 31⁄2 to 7 years in prison, still came as a shock.

"I got read my rights for the first time in my life," he said. "I'm sick to my stomach. I don't know what's going to happen to me now. I'm pretty nervous, I don't want to go to prison."

Fleming said his weapons, including a number of hunting rifles and antique guns once handed down through his family were taken away after his arrest. Now, Fleming, who is not scheduled to be arraigned on his charge until March 20, said he has to wait and see what will come of his arrest.

County Attorney Tom Velardi said Monday that he will be reviewing the case and will work to determine if the charge against Fleming is appropriate.

Velardi said his office was consulted over the weekend about whether to charge Fleming, adding the state statute regarding what constitutes self-defense or defense of property is clear and that he would be reviewing the statute and the facts of the case.

"We'll review all circumstances, including where the person was when he fired, why he fired, to determine whether we will proceed with the charge," Velardi said.

Farmington police, too, are continuing their investigation into the case, looking into whether Hebert could be involved in a number of other recent burglaries in town.

While Sgt. Scott Ferguson said Monday that there is no new information on whether Hebert was involved in other break-ins, he did say he expects more charges to filed against the man in the future.

Hebert will appear in Rochester Circuit Court this morning via video to be arraigned on his charges stemming from the situation, including two counts of burglary, both Class B felonies punishable by 31⁄2 to 7 years in prison, and one felony level count of possession of controlled narcotics.

In the meantime, while Fleming is not scheduled to be arraigned on his charge until March, he said he is nervous about what will come of the situation but does not regret what he did.

"I think I did right," he said Monday afternoon. "I stopped a guy who stole and kept him from doing it again."
"

The charges have been dropped on this individual. police stated, that while "Reckless" that he was in control of the situation and they dont feel there is enough evidence to press charges.

Link Removed

Have read in the paper that the district attorney has dropped the charges after reviewing all the evidence and area of occurance that no one was in danger. I do not know if this also rids the gentleman of the arrest record but since no charge I would guess this also disappears. If not he will have to write the court to have it expunged. I am glad to hear that common sense has prevailed and a neighbor is free for doing what is right.

Wow... It seems there was quite an outrage about this incident across the nation and feelings were made known. Intelligent people it seems, have had enough of the "GOOD GUY" getting shafted when he/she decides to take action in a situation such as this... Thank God cooler heads and thinkers have taken command of the situation, intervening when the typical knee-jerk liberal reaction would have been to make an example of this man... Stopped a huge injustice from taking place... Ahhh, perhaps justice will prevail... This may even restore some small part of my faith in the citizens of this great nation...

He was a victim when he got robbed.

He was a responsible citizen when he discovered the robber crawling out of a his neighbor's window.

He became an irresponsible gun owner when he fired his weapon to scare the robber.

I don't think he should be prosecuted but i do think he should be required to attend an NRA firearm's course before he gets backs his weapons.

He was a victim when he got robbed.

He was a responsible citizen when he discovered the robber crawling out of a his neighbor's window.

He became an irresponsible gun owner when he fired his weapon to scare the robber.

I don't think he should be prosecuted but i do think he should be required to attend an NRA firearm's course before he gets backs his weapons.

Who gives a rats arse what you think... Your opinion does not matter in NH... You live in NY... Keep your requirements there and be happy... Live Free or Die...

Who gives a rats arse what you think... Your opinion does not matter in NH... You live in NY... Keep your requirements there and be happy... Live Free or Die...

I'd rather not die because some idiot thinks firing a gun to "scare" a robber is a good idea.

Bullwinkle: "Look rocky, there's the thief!"

Rocky: "Wow Bullwinkle, what should we do now?"

Bullwinkle: "I'll shoot my gun to scare him Rocky"

Rocky: "I don't think that is such a great..."

BANG!

Bullwinkle: "Sorry about that Rocky, guess you didn't want to live free."

Again, it's all about you and your need to control every aspect of everyone's behavior... He shot the ground, not one over the guy's head, not up in the air, not into the bad guy. It was into the ground... I'd call it a win for the good guys... I'd be making him a fine meal, perhaps inviting him for Sunday dinner on a regular basis if he was my neighbor... You of course will most likely be writing to your legislators to make sure there is a law in place in NY that makes a criminal out of the good guy... Good work Bullwinkle...

Yes sir, because NH dirt is known to be like Vegas, what goes into NH dirt stays in NH dirt. No chance of ricochet in that rocky soil.

There was no ricochet... Hummm... The good guy remains free and gets his guns back.. The bad guy goes to trial and with more of this justice thing happening, he may go to prison... Seems like most people seem OK with it all... Maybe it would have been a better ending if the bad guy had charged the good man and gotten shot? Perhaps the bad guy managed to get the gun from the good guy and shot him? Sometimes the best defense is a good solid offense... I believe that was the case... You can't control everybody all the time...

Hey look, another shooting in a school... Hummm No guns in schools right? Yet we have school shootings... I see how that legislation has kept so many people safe.. People are the variable and they can't all be controlled.. Would you like life better if all people were in fact controlled? I'm guessing "Yes sir" will be your answer to that question, so long as you are the one at the controls...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back