Element of Surprise

DCkilla

Does the element of surprise give you an advantage after some criminal has the drop on you? Or is it a plan of a preemptive strike? I'm just curious how that works.

The element of surprise is always a benefit. The trick is to use that surprise to your best advantage. Action beats reaction. That BG has acted and has the drop on you. If he becomes distracted, even for a second, that might be your chance to act yourself and turn things around. There is an old saying that I wish I had invented, "If you find yourself in a fair fight.... your tactics suck".

"If you find yourself in a fair fight.... your tactics suck".

I dont fight fair,I fight to win. just saying...

That being said,if someone walks up behind you and knocks you out your tactics dont do you any good. The trick is to always be alert to what is going on around you. That way you dont have surprises going on.
Your element of surprise is to always be ready. That is what will surprise the bad guy.

Does the element of surprise give you an advantage after some criminal has the drop on you? Or is it a plan of a preemptive strike? I'm just curious how that works.

If you start the scenario with the criminal having "the drop" on you , you've already lost any "element of surprise" that you may have had.

If you carry your gun as a defensive tool you will be reacting to a threat there is no element of surprise in a defensive reaction.

If the bad guy has a weapon trained on you already, then the element of surprise is lost to you.
He's already got it.

The element of surprise is always a benefit. The trick is to use that surprise to your best advantage. Action beats reaction. That BG has acted and has the drop on you. If he becomes distracted, even for a second, that might be your chance to act yourself and turn things around. There is an old saying that I wish I had invented, "If you find yourself in a fair fight.... your tactics suck".

Yep. It's just as important to know when NOT to deploy your weapon as it is to be able to deploy it quickly.

The supposed magical mystical super Ninja concealed carry "element of surprise" is a myth perpetrated so folks can "feel" like they have some kind of special "edge".

The "element of surprise" is an offensive, not defensive, tactic. And as an offensive tactic it favors the attacker... not the defender.

And the attacker understands the concept of the "element of surprise" because he uses it to either sneak up on his victims... or to engage in some seemingly innocent behavior in order to catch his victims off guard.

The "element of surprise" happens to the victim when they are "surprised" by the need to defend themselves.

Very good comments here. The only thing I would add is that we should use wisdom and not place ourselves in a situation that is dangerous. I have heard years ago that crime is a crime of opportunity. If we place ourselves in a vulnerable position then we are opening ourselves to attack. Make sense? In other words, if you chose to go bar hopping and walking around in downtown areas late at night where the lighting is poor there is a good chance your risk of being a victim has been increased exponentially. If you choose to go shopping and running errands in the dark vs broad day light then your ability to be aware of your surroundings will be lessened because of the dark. Sometimes using the God given common sense can go a long way in protecting us.

Very good comments here. The only thing I would add is that we should use wisdom and not place ourselves in a situation that is dangerous. I have heard years ago that crime is a crime of opportunity. If we place ourselves in a vulnerable position then we are opening ourselves to attack. Make sense? In other words, if you chose to go bar hopping and walking around in downtown areas late at night where the lighting is poor there is a good chance your risk of being a victim has been increased exponentially. If you choose to go shopping and running errands in the dark vs broad day light then your ability to be aware of your surroundings will be lessened because of the dark. Sometimes using the God given common sense can go a long way in protecting us.

This is a quality post.

Woody1960:287599 said:
"If you find yourself in a fair fight.... your tactics suck".

I dont fight fair,I fight to win. just saying...

That being said,if someone walks up behind you and knocks you out your tactics dont do you any good. The trick is to always be alert to what is going on around you. That way you dont have surprises going on.
Your element of surprise is to always be ready. That is what will surprise the bad guy.

To the OP: I do not believe it gives you any advantage AFTER the BG has the drop on you. Unless you can draw, aim, and fire, faster than someone else who just has to pull the trigger...

To Caribou: I think that is what Woody was saying. If you do not have the unfair advantage, your tactics suck.

I agree with woody. The first surprise is when the bad guy gets the drop on you. That means the most important tactic of all, situational awareness, has been failed. After that, it's whether or not you can break his OODA loop and/or whether or not you decide to fight back.

Both OC and CC can deploy surprise on a bad gun that has chosen them as a victim. Our surprise is fighting back. For the most part, they are looking for easy targets, so any fighting back will be the true surprise to the bad guy.

>>

The only time a criminal should have the element of surprise is if your walking blindfolded. When I am not at home, wether it be driving, walking my dog, shopping at walmart, my eyes are constantly scanning my surrounding. Some may call this paranoid but its not, I believe I get this from years of riding dirtbikes and motorcycles.. my eyes have trained themselves to constantantly be on the lookout for an crossing animal, a random root or rock, the dumbass on the cellphone about to pull out in front of you at an intersection, or a rider/car coming up behind you. Guarenteed if a criminal plans on coming at me with a gun/knife/club or any other deadly weapon the sights of my deadly weapon are going to be locked on him before he has any chance of striking me.. you need to always be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are..

Those who have tried "force-on-force" TRAINING with paintball guns say that nearly always both are shot, with the "criminal" getting off the first shot. "Exploding" off the "X" just MAY tip the balance a bit, but it's very difficult to move fast enough without "telegraphing" the move to someone who is just about looking for an excuse to shoot you at their first inkling of your non-compliance with their demands. Not to mention the difficulty of presenting one's weapon and getting off effective shots while "exploding".

You can't KNOW the BG's level of committment. Could be anywhere from "will shoot to kill whether or not victim complies" to "toy gun BG-wouldn't-swat-a-fly". Nonetheless, BG is presenting that they are willing to use violence to get what they want - and their ultimate desire may be to make you DEAD. If you can get away by flipping them your decoy wallet with a few bucks and some closed-out credit cards in it while yelling over your shoulder as you sprint away "hey there's a $2,000 limit on the cards" by all means do so. If not then fight like a man (or woman) whose life depends on it - because it likely does. Move and shoot until you can do no more of either. Then be prepared to explain your actions to authorities if you survive.

davej85:288445 said:
The only time a criminal should have the element of surprise is if your walking blindfolded.

This reminds me of so many people walking around town. Sunglasses on, white earbuds in, heads down...the new "hipster" look. Sometimes having the hoodie up to just top it off.

I started a thread asking, in one word finish this sentence. The average person is ______________. UNAWARE.

Or is it a plan of a preemptive strike? I'm just curious how that works.

It works this way: Your weapon is for your defense ONLY...a preemptive strike is called murder. And BTW, I ALWAYS where my sunglasses when the sun is up...that does not make me unaware...I see just as well with them (better if it is really sunny) as without them...just very light sensitive.

It works this way: Your weapon is for your defense ONLY...a preemptive strike is called murder. And BTW, I ALWAYS where my sunglasses when the sun is up...that does not make me unaware...I see just as well with them (better if it is really sunny) as without them...just very light sensitive.

Mine are polarized so I actually see better w/ them on.
Also extremely sensitive to light

I think the so called "tactical" advantage of concealed carry is overblown hyperbole. Once you let your situational awareness slip there is nothing "tactical" about you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back