Dumb reasons you have been detained or questioned.

Sir Diealotz

One of my other threads gave me an idea: List some of the dumb reasons you have been questioned or detained by Law Enforcement.

This is not a LEO bashing thread so please keep it civil and fun :cool:
Many of my friends are LEO's + my brother in law is a Kentucky State Trooper.

1. Two deputy sheriffs visited me because my dog peed on/near a mailbox LOL. Both officers got a good laugh out of it, as did I.

Wasn't even his property... :rolleyes:

I have never been detained or questioned, and I don't plan to be. I don't do the things that would make me suspicious in the eyes of the law, or anyone else, for that matter.

I don't do the things that would make me suspicious in the eyes of the law, or anyone else, for that matter.
YET.

Your control over the suspicions, rational or otherwise, of others is STRICTLY limited.

Can you tell me what OBJECTIVE criteria make someone "suspicious" enough to be stopped and frisked, merely walking down the street in Harlem or the Bronx? If you can, you're probably one of the few people in the WORLD able to do so...

I have never been detained or questioned, and I don't plan to be. I don't do the things that would make me suspicious in the eyes of the law, or anyone else, for that matter.
Me either; at least not any more!

I just returned from a trip. I got stopped briefly at TSA for two items:

1) CRKT Spork, this is a small metal spork. I had to explain to the TSA Agent exactly what a spork was. He was very confused. The idea of eating both Soup and Pie with the same utensil was too much for him. Finally convinced him that it was a tool under 8" so he let it go.

2) Key chain charm that looked like a pistol. Ok, I should have known better. It was a gift from my Mother-in-law. It is literally 1 1/2 inches in size and stamped. It has the thickness of a key. They let me keep it but warned that I shouldn't bring it back.

Worse one my son had; he was pulled over in my car. When the LEO asked if he could search the car, he said, "Sure". (I know, I thought I raised him better than that too).

The LEO found a 22 magnum round that must have fallen out of my range bag. According to my son, the LEO got very angry about it and said that since he was a minor, he could run him in. However, since it was a rifle round and not a pistol round, he would let him off with a warning.

Fortunately, nothing worse than that happened.

I was stopped once when I was about 8 years old for wearing a halloween mask in the summer..lol
I told him I wasn't trick or treating, as I though that's why he was stopping me..haha!

turns out it's illegal to wear a mask in the city unless it is halloween.
live & learn.

I got searched by the TSA for a foil lined lunch box containing an apple and a sealed bottle of water... When I opened the bag I said "bang" didn't go over so well...

Me and a buddy were bowling at Luke AFB in AZ. We needed some more cash so we decided to go to our bank across the parking lot to avoid the $2 charge from the ATM inside. We were a few beers deep so just for fun, we decided to race. It's about 10 pm.... on come the lights. Because we looked "suspicious" due to the running, we were cuffed and sat on the curb. 8 more cops showed up in 4 separate squad cars making it 10 officers total! We were told that they could get us for theft since we were both still wearing bowling shoes. Hahaha didn't happen.

I got stopped walking home from work. It was about 12:30 pm and a very slight drizzle in March this year. I asked him if there was a problem, he said that it was strange to see someone walking in the area especially because it was raining. I was in city limits walking on the sidewalk. He was fresh out of the academy at about 22 years old, I gave him a little bit of a hard time to let him know what he was doing was ridiculous. Guess maybe he was just REALLY bored.

In the early '80s, I was a field engineer for a manufactrer of industrial machinery. Although this was long before TSA, you still had to put your carry-ons through an X-ray. I often carried small tools in a regular brief case, along with drawings and schematics.

I was preparing to board a flight out of Hartford Ct (Bradley Field) and put my brief case on the conveyor, and when I went to pick it up on the other side, a uniformed woman grabbed it and asked if that was my brief case and I said "yes". She took my brief case and told me to come with her. She led me a small unmarked room nearby, and there was another man in there, in plain clothes.

They put my brief case under another X-ray, and pointing to two items, said "What are these?" She was pointing to a 1" micrometer, and a 6" vernier caliper. I laughed and told here that was a micrometer and caliper, and said "Here, let me show you" as I reached for the latches on the brief case. She jerked it back and told me they would open it, and for me to keep my hands away. So they opened, saw the mic and caliper, and asked me to explain what they were used for, which I did.

I guess a micrometer and a caliper in profile do vaguely look like handguns.

i was a passenger in a car and when they asked my id i gave it and they thought i was someone wanted in a nearby city ........the whole scene was not pretty as officers abused me and trampled my rights
;(

Used to have a '67 Chevelle that was nice, very fast, and notorious in the town I grew up in. One day, while having a barbecue with another couple, cop rolls up and somewhat rudely tells me to come down off the deck, he wanted to talk to me. I then asked him what he needed and that I was trying to not burn the steaks. Again, playing tough guy, he gets all shitty about it and demands I come down to talk to him. He then says something in his mic about how the other guy and I look like the people in the description. I get down there, and I'm starting to get a little pissy myself and ask him what the problem is. He ignores my question and asks me if own a red Chevelle. I told him yes, with a black top, and told him he already knew that so why was he asking. He asked me where the other guy and I were an hour ago. I told him where we were which was at softball practice (with our wives) and that there would be around 30 people to back that up. He then asks me where the car is. I told him it was at my shop and it has not been out of that shop in a week. I once again ask him why. He responds basically with an "I'll tell you when I'm ready to" answer. I told him fine, I'm going back to finish what I was doing and that he could come up to finish HIS one way conversation when he was ready. He then started to get really pissed.

Just about that time, another patrol unit drives up and I recognize the officer. He walks up to the Brutha Bob Badass and asks him what was going on. They talk for a minute and without anything else said to me, Brutha Bob shakes his head and leaves. Second cop walks up on the deck tells us he is sorry and now he asks the same questions and I give him the same answers along with an offer to go with him to the shop so he could put his hands on the hood just to prove it. So now I ask him what this is all about. He told me it wouldn't be necessary to go to the shop. Then tells me that someone had evidently mooned the Mayor and his guests at the golf course and the description of the car matched mine. The Mayor was really mad and wanted something done, but that he also knew I wasn't involved.

I just laughed and told him how it makes total sense. As he was getting back in his car, I asked him; "How did you know it wasn't us?". His response was exactly what I expected; "I know you only come out on Friday night". As he started to back out of the drive, I hoisted my beer and told him; "Give my regards to the Mayor", all the while thinking, just wait until I see Dave. (Dave owned a solid red 66 Chevelle and yes, a couple weeks later, he 'fessed up when I called him on it.)

Got pulled over in Bal Harbor Fl. once for "resembling a wanted person" through tinted windows at night. I wish I had that kind of vision! The officers ended up being fairly cool even after they unloaded and inspected my S&W 59. Oh well.

I'm repeatedly pulled over because the city police have my car color as white in their computers and my car is yellow. Was yellow when I bought it and yellow when it was made. Instead of changing their computers to match state records they hassle me claiming I'm driving on stolen plates.

I had a guy at my club who kept asking me about getting his CCW permit. He was an old-timer. Nice guy. He kept hinting around that he wasn't sure they would give it to him but wouldn't elaborate. One day I just asked him why? You've been talking to me about this for months. What's the issue. His answer floored me. He said "when I was fourteen years-old I was arrested for stealing two chickens. It was in 1949." I never laughed so hard. He had been putting off the permit for years over this.

Personally I was detained once for a few minutes. LE was looking for a shoplifting suspect. The description was "white male, early-late thirties, roughly 6' tall medium build, light hair and eyes." I started laughing. LEO askd what was so funny. i told him "you just described about 30% of the population." He started laughing too.

2 incidents come to mind. When I was around 20ish, a friend and I were sitting in my car at the boat landings at around 1am eating Taco Bell and talking. A patrol car pulls up behind my car and a cop comes to my driver's door and asked what we were doing in the park after hours (park curfew is 11pm.). I told him that I didn't realize the landings were part of the park and that we were just talking. So the officer asks for my driver's license. As I'm getting it out, my friend reaches down to get hers out of her purse and all of a sudden both cops were half way into my car. Scared the crap out of us, we never saw the 2nd cop on the passenger side. Thankfully they just told us to leave the park.

2nd incident was about a year ago. I work as a gate security guard for a home improvement store, with a rotating shift of days, nights and every other weekend. Well one night I'm leaving work and get to my car around 9:30pm. I'm the last car leaving the employee parking lot. As I'm leave a cop car passes the lot. I turn and head in the opposite direction and start heading home, not giving the cop car any thought. Well a few blocks down the road I notice the cop car following. After a few more minutes he finally pulls me over and questions me about why I was in the parking lot at that time of night.I explained that I just finished work and pointed to my shirt. He then asked for my driver's license and my phone # (<--I thought that was not normal, but gave it to him anyways without thinking). After he checked everything out, he let me go. I told my managers the next day and they got a good laugh out of it.
Sorry for the long stories!

I was detained, then arrested and charged with "felony trespassing" because I, as a pedestrian, was using the pedestrian exercise path to exercise at a public park. The security guard didn't like the way I was dressed; something about "police socks" or sumthin'.
Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back