Dry Fire harmful?

Karsten

I had someone tell me the other day that to dry fire an automatic pistol could damage the firing pin. Is this correct? Do you risk harming the firing mechanism of a pistol by practice shooting without ammo?

Yes you can damage the firing on I never dry for mine without snap caps.....i highly recommend being some snap caps.

I believe it depends on the gun. I was told by multiple instructors up at the Sig Academy that dry firing my Sig would not effect it.

Snap caps are the safest bet. Older guns are especially susceptible while many newer models have been engineered to reduce or eliminate damage.

If it a center fire weapon, which you are asking about, you should be fine dry firing it. However you should never dry fire a rim fire i.e. .22 as the firing pin will make contact with the edge of the chamber, which over time will make it difficult to impossible to chamber a round or extract a case. As a Marine Corps infantry weapons repairman, and Ordnance officer for 34 years, I never encountered a center fire weapon damaged by dry firing. As an FYI Brownells sells a tool to repair .22 chambers that have been damaged from dry firing.

I believe it depends on the gun. I was told by multiple instructors up at the Sig Academy that dry firing my Sig would not effect it.

That is absolutely correct. It does vary according to manufacturer and model. Consult your owner's manual. If you don't have it, you can find one on the manufacturer's website.

Dry fire damage

As mentioned here, most modern cf firearms won't be damaged, although some manufacturers recommend snappers. In fact, I believe CZ and maybe Browning includes caps with the pistol. That being said, I am aware of guns that have been damaged. I personally don't dry fire without caps, but I can be rather anal about my firearms. Snappers, made for rifle, pistol and shotgun, are certainly a cheap way to prevent the possibility of any damage.

Ive always wondered that question myself After talking to several Gunsmiths, And calling the Manufactuers I was advised that it is ok in moderation. Ruger advised me that it will not harm my weapon, Kimber also said same thing.Colt advised me to use Caps, if I planned to dry fire on regular basis for practicing.but did say that it should not harm my 1911 Each manufacturer that I spoke to said basically same thing.that dry firing is fine in moderation.

If it a center fire weapon, which you are asking about, you should be fine dry firing it. However you should never dry fire a rim fire i.e. .22 as the firing pin will make contact with the edge of the chamber, which over time will make it difficult to impossible to chamber a round or extract a case. As a Marine Corps infantry weapons repairman, and Ordnance officer for 34 years, I never encountered a center fire weapon damaged by dry firing. As an FYI Brownells sells a tool to repair .22 chambers that have been damaged from dry firing.

Modern quality firearms can be dry fired with the exception of .22 automatics. IIRC the Ruger Mk III can be dry fired, but I could be wrong.

The safest bet is to get some type of snap cap if that puts your mind at ease. Just remember to triple check your weapon is unloaded and there is NO live ammo in the room you are dry firing in since you will be putting things in the chamber and pressing the trigger.

Also, get some snap caps made of a different color than your carry ammo. The originals had a red plastic "bullet" but that doesn't help once it's chambered. IIRC Dillon carries "A-Zoom" caps that are a bronze color. Good Luck.

Check your owners manual or call the manufacturer before dry-fire practice. Snap caps are also very good once you know you can dry-fire on your particular model.

As previously stated, for the most part dry firing will not damage center fire weapons. The firing pin impacts nothing and most firearms are designed to take the internal shock of dryfiring. That said, Snap Caps are still a very good investment.

They will protect your firearm while dry firing as the silicone "primer" absorbs the impact of the firing pin reduces the impulse of dry firing and protects the internals as well.

They allow you to practice clearing jams, misfires, stovepipes and double feeds.

On the range snap caps can be mixed with live ammo to reveal flinches and recoil anticipation.

For the money they are a very worthwhile tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back