Dropping off child on campus

Ab38off

I understand no CCW on college campus, but is there allowance to drop off my son and leave without locking up my gun?
It seems like Ohio allows this on schools! but not specific on colleges.

I think each college has their own policy, at least that is how it works in WV. You might check the college's website and check out their policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

If you are staying INSIDE your car, I wouldn't think there is a problem. But check the local laws and regulations to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Link Removed

I understand no CCW on college campus, but is there allowance to drop off my son and leave without locking up my gun?
It seems like Ohio allows this on schools! but not specific on colleges.

Actually, if one reads the law, it does allow one to have a gun in a motor vehicle.

(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126v1

The law for K-12 schools does not apply to colleges and universities and the law for colleges and universities does not apply to K-12 schools.

I was okay on having it in the car, but the "locked" part if it is what I find confusing. If he opens the door to get out and the back door to get his things out, I am wondering if that "unlocks" the car?

When I help him carry stuff up to his dorm, I lock in glovebox.

I was just wondering if there was a clear understanding. Probably one of those left open to interpretation by the law.

I will check the University website as well.

Thanks.

Again, I don't see you would be violating the law, as long as you remain in the vehicle. Locking the weapon inside the car if you go out is the correct way to do it if you are getting out of the car.

According to the book called "Legally Armed: A concealed carry gun law guide" volume 1, It states for Ohio, Gun possession on College Campuses:Forbidden under most circumstances. Just wanted to give you this bit of info so you"ll be aware.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back