Doomsday Preppers are socially selfish...?

The writer admitted to not watching the show doomsday preppers. She claims that she thinks they are selfish bc instead of trying to find ways to help the community to avoid these problems- they just think about helping themselves.

i'd like to ask this very smart and intelligent woman (not) what she thinks one should do- to prevent earthquakes, economic collapses, plagues, and etc? The next time the world gets hit with a major tsunami- acccording to this blogger lady, it must be because of all the people doing all the selfish prepping- causing this!

And if she is referring to what these people do after a major environmental catastrophe hits their community- how would she know if these people go out giving away their time, services, and/or goods?

This dimwit made another blog post apologizing for being wrong. She claims she learned from the experience but somehow I doubt it. She's still enamored with herself being an "emergency management expert" with years of experience in her field.

At least she had the decency to admit the obvious.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Wow. Just wow. That woman is SO out of touch…

1. Food storage. "Doomsday" prepping assumes you're going to have a higher caloric need than today, simply because you're not going to have gadgets and utilities to power them doing the work for you. I generally assume 2400 calories for adults and 1600 calories for kids (a total over-estimation there, but the math is going to work out…) So let's say I store a year's supply for a family of six. 11200 calories per day, 365 days worth. Typical "disaster" prepping assumes 1200 calories per day per adult. That means I have a year's supply of food for 9.3 adults. Or a one month supply for 112 adults! I live in an apartment building, and I live alone. But I could feed everyone in this building for a MONTH all by myself with a good family year's supply.

I'm not really expecting to do that, but y'know, the possibility exists.

2. Weapons and ammo. Let's be honest, since we're on a gun forum here. This is what she's really concerned about. We have what we have, and like most people we generally intend to keep it and to decide for ourselves which people we're going to help. And we tend to prepare to defend ourselves against whoever might take what we've got. If she thinks that's not going to be necessary, then frankly she's a moron. Quite simply a moron. Look at Katrina. Look at Sandy. Look at Haiti. Hell, even look at Japan in isolated incidents (though I'm pleased to say there was shockingly little of that kind of behavior in Japan…)

When people are desperate, even the most upright person will be tempted to crime. Those who are used to it won't hesitate. And yes, the government is a threat too, in that regard. If they come to take what's mine, then I cannot use it to care for those I care about. Fact is that I store what I have stored for the people I care about. They don't live with me, but they're near enough that I can get it to them. And you're gonna have to kill me to get it, because if you do, they could die. Therefore trying to take what's mine is an attempt to kill them and me. I'll respond in kind.

That's not "selfish", it's SELF DEFENSE.

3. Knowledge and skills. No matter how much STUFF you have, you don't have enough. Not for yourself and your loved one, not for barter or trade, and not for charity. You don't have enough. Given this, you've got to IMPROVISE. I fully expect that I'm not going to be trading my skills and knowledge for stuff often in a disaster. Probably I'm going to be giving a lot of it away for free. Because I don't want people to die any more than anyone else does.

I have some lightweight, high-value, and sometimes high-cost prepper gear. But I don't need my personal stove and cookset. I can make a basic hobo stove in a few minutes with a can and some steel wire and use any pots and pans. I wouldn't want to carry it far, which is why I bought what I did for myself. But I can make what others need. The same goes for a lot of things: I bought the stuff I want for myself, but I can always improvise for others. And indeed, I expect I'll do so.

Hopefully there'll be some relief regarding food if the disaster goes on for long, though, because that's going to run out for people with or without my help, whether or not I were "selfish" with my stores.

It has been discussed on this and other forums in the wake of katrina, that local authorities and ill executed recovery plans did more damage to citizenry of the big easy than the storm itself. The damage was not to the buildings, but to the citizens, their rights, and the well being of the rule of law.
A precedent was set that forever changed the landscape of emergency management when private firearms confiscation occurred. You see blackwater type guards were protecting the wealthy homes and when they were told to turn over their private arms they told the local police to f off.
none of the little guys tried that and as a result only the govt, blackwater and criminal gangs had guns.
It was in this time that the criminal gangs reined supreme with an absolute arsenal of terror, rape, murder, theft and a whole host of other atrocities.

so yes I am selfish. I am not giving up my stuff. But I am also not going to be standing there with my hand out. I take personal responsibility for living in a hurricane zone and I will do my best to help those that help me and hurt those who try to hurt me.

a good plan is to talk with like minded neighbors and have a neighborhood watch type plan for roving security and the like to help protect what is left after tshtf.

Maybe the show does some good as far as awareness. However I think it does far more harm to people IMO. Most of the people portrayed seem to follow this model:

Southern
Rural
Vets
Over the top ( Doomsday Castle AKA t"he cleavage show")

Everybody knows its a good idea I suspect; Anyone remember Civil Defense ? Shelters ? Or did the need go away ?

They like to show people these people that are acting IMO to be a bit like a train coming off the tracks. They even do a voice over that says to paraphrase "most experts believe... ". To leave the impression they are paranoid.

Go Seahawks!

Maybe the show does some good as far as awareness. However I think it does far more harm to people IMO. Most of the people portrayed seem to follow this model:

Southern
Rural
Vets
Over the top ( Doomsday Castle AKA t"he cleavage show")

Everybody knows its a good idea I suspect; Anyone remember Civil Defense ? Shelters ? Or did the need go away ?

They like to show people these people that are acting IMO to be a bit like a train coming off the tracks. They even do a voice over that says to paraphrase "most experts believe... ". To leave the impression they are paranoid.

Go Seahawks!

Yep, Doomsday Preppers has completely been turned into the next MTV reality show... filled with over-the-top preppers who are a wee bit, err... off... and a script as obvious as ruining your undies with a bravery test. Doomsday Castle?! SMMFH... It's about showing off the guy's attractive little daughters. I just looove how at the end when the people are scored they back hand it with "the experts"... making the preppers out to be nut cases. Of course "the experts" would say that nothing is likely! Could you imagine what would happen if they actually said, "Uh yeah... that economic collapse thing, it's got a good chance of happening." ? People might go ape sh!t over an "expert" telling them their world may actually change for the worse.

When the show first ran I thought it may actually be an honest-to-goodness attempt at documenting the life of a "prepper". If you want to see a "real" prepper... watch those Alaska shows where the guys live in the middle of nowhere and actually have to fight for survival. You'll learn a lot more there...

What are "doomsday preppers" preparing for. The only "doomsday" I know of is following "The Rapture of the Church of Jesus Christ". Those "left behind" will be those that are not believers and those refusing to follows Gods Laws. According to the Bible they will not survive the Tribulation of 7 years. If they choose to follow the "Anti Christ they will suffer horrible retribution and die, and if they refuse they will be killed by the Anti Christ by decapitation.
So, I guess this is where the naysayers get cranked up and refute this. But the Bible has prophecid this and there are thousand of prophecies in the Bible and nearly all have come true. Jesuses Birth was predicted 700 years before he wa born, Fact. Many other more recent predictions have happened. To find out about this read "The Harbinger" by Rabbi Jonathan Cahn. A short book in paperback form. Tells of the things that have happened since 911, and why, and what is to come.

I'm not here to help others. What is this the Obamanation? Redistribute wealth and now redistribute the ability to survive in a catastrophe? If someone's plan is to rely on me they'll starve.

What are "doomsday preppers" preparing for. The only "doomsday" I know of is following "The Rapture of the Church of Jesus Christ". Those "left behind" will be those that are not believers and those refusing to follows Gods Laws. According to the Bible they will not survive the Tribulation of 7 years. If they choose to follow the "Anti Christ they will suffer horrible retribution and die, and if they refuse they will be killed by the Anti Christ by decapitation.
So, I guess this is where the naysayers get cranked up and refute this. But the Bible has prophecid this and there are thousand of prophecies in the Bible and nearly all have come true. Jesuses Birth was predicted 700 years before he wa born, Fact. Many other more recent predictions have happened. To find out about this read "The Harbinger" by Rabbi Jonathan Cahn. A short book in paperback form. Tells of the things that have happened since 911, and why, and what is to come.

"Doomsday" was the term used by Nat Geo to make preppers seem off their meds... Very few preppers I know are concerned with "doomsday", as it were. Most are worried about smaller scale, non-Earth-ending catastrophies that they can actually live through with the right mindset and preps.

I'm not here to help others. What is this the Obamanation? Redistribute wealth and now redistribute the ability to survive in a catastrophe? If someone's plan is to rely on me they'll starve.

I'm sure if the stink hits the fan, there will be a steady diet of lead for those who weren't ready...

I prep for Hurricanes and their aftermath...it is the biggest threat on my radar

Years ago, I was a weather spotter/storm chaser. We were out in the field, putting our lives in danger, so the public would know the path of storms and weather conditions (it was bad). One cell turned into a tornado right before my eyes, heading to another scout. He managed to just escape, but not before it had picked-up his car and turned it 45 degrees from where it was pointed. Hail and broken glass were a given.

We were ham radio operators.

I may remember, passing personal health and welfare traffic from hurricane or tornado hit areas via ham radio. Some of it was Morse, some of it was voice, and some of it was packet radio (digital data forwarding).

We would often call a relative or acquaintance with news that their loved ones were OK, and were managing with community help and emergency responders. One lady started crying when I gave her the good news that family members were alright.

I'm a prepper, I'm selfish because my entire ham radio station's HF/VHF/UHF equipment may operate off 12V. power via Marine deep cycle batteries, when the power is interrupted.

I'm a prepper and selfish to have canned goods and means of cooking them in the field.

I'm a prepper because whatever resources I have, I will gladly share to those in need.

I'm a prepper because I have wood to use for cooking and heat, indoors or out.

I'm a disgusted prepper to learn of self-proclaimed emergency management personnel who would slander us. Arrogance and stupidity on display from emergency management providers' brass needs dealt with, and now! Other emergency management organizations use us as a vital link when communications go down in the disaster zone. We do this freely, and don't accept gratuities, because it is against F.C.C. regs. to charge for our services.

Many of us were in touch with astronauts/cosmonauts aboard MIR and ISS, because every astronaut since the '70s has gotten their ham radio ticket to use amateur radio when and if primary NASA communications failed. This included all shuttle launches.

Yeah...prepper...has a nice ring to it.

73 de Kilo Golf 5 Juliet Juliet

The guys on the TV show may be considered stupid for showing everybody what they have and thinking the show is obfuscating their location enough to matter, but not necessarily selfish. If I'm doing okay, say, then .gov has more resources to help somebody else. There was one recent one though that showed some guy that said he would turn raider, wasn't there? That guy, I could call him selfish and stupid. If I heard right and he's serious, I doubt he'll last long if things go away. Other'n that, though...liberals gonna lib, progressives gonna prog, haters gonna hate. Don't see much variance in that.

Bob, I think the city folks will make a B-line for the country.

The ones who make it out alive or not beaten to a pulp, yes. Most will get caught in traffic jams trying to flee and many will die right there on on the highways. By the time they make it to the country... they'll be few in number and poorly nurished.

I grow a small garden and have chickens for meat and eggs? does that make me a prepper or a well fed redneck?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back