Does your wife shoot?

Danmc

My wife could care less about my guns. She could care less about shooting. She could care less about carrying a gun. She has no interest. She is not against guns. She doesn't care that I have guns, that her dad has guns, and that our son has guns, or the neighbors have guns, or that you have guns. She does realize that the bad guys have guns, so when I carry my gun on my person or in the car she is just fine with it. But she just doesn't have an interest in shooting guns herself. I tell her she should learn to shoot for a variety of reasons, most importantly for self defense. But it just doesn't trip her trigger. So I am just wondering, how many of you have wives who shoot...or don't shoot?

Does my wife shoot?? Heck she is the family gun nut!!! Lol
And she is also a firearms instructor, armed guard, and a private investigator!!!!! You can read her bio at www.SFLguns.com

I shoot. Times like these when you cannot go to bed without locking your front nor back door and must have a big dog as a first responder, why shouldn't I shoot? Our whole family shoots. The young 'un is the gun nut in the family. He buys and sell firearms. Suddenly I have a Mossin Nagant and an AK 47 one day. Then as suddenly, I can't find my Mossin. He promised to get me a better than a Mossin...Nowadays guns are not just a masculine tool anymore than a hammer, jack hammer, truck driving, screwdrivers, etc...are part of a woman's toolbox too. Even men can get breast cancer too, if you get my drip......DH nearly did.

My wife finally asked to learn. We went and she picked out a rifle/shotgun combo. When I get home from work, we are going shooting together for the first time. I'm excited, she's competitive , I'm sure she will want, and be able to outshoot me. I can't wait.

Like straight shooter, my husband calls me the family gun nut. Since I started, I read everything I can, watch instructional videos, spend hours at the range he built for us practicing, and when I can't do that. I dry fire with a laser lyte trainer. Once I made the decision to carry, I decided I was going to be responsible about it and learn all I could. People shouldn't get guns if they are going to buy them and forget about them. Responsible gun ownership (to me, at least ) means becoming very familiar with your firearms and shooting in general. What kind of things does your wife like to do? If she's an outdoorsy tomboy type like me, she'd probably love it, if you could get her to try it. In our case it was my idea.

Nope. My wife is basically a hoplophobe. But in all fairness, I have to give her a pass. When she was 14 years old, she was babysitting someone's kid on a Friday night. The couple came home and the guy was all drunked up and in a foul mood. He was pissed at his wife, pulled out a pistol, and held her and his wife at gun point. After about 40 minutes, his wife talked him in to letting her(my wife) go home. Evidently it ended there and no charges were ever filed. This was back in the '70s and things were different back then.

She was not happy in the least after telling her that I was getting a carry permit. Of course, this was the time she decided to tell me that little story after asking her why she had such an illogical fear of an inanimate object. She then followed up with the usual; "Why do you think you need one?". At that time, I who chose to tell her about the four times having a gun pointed at me when we lived in California. Two of the four times were after we got together. She never knew about these incidents. She's slowly coming around and more accepting of it.

My wife is nervous around guns. She's one of the few women south of the Mason-Dixon line who didn't grow up with them. When we first got married, she grudgingly agreed to take the Basic Firearm Safety course, but did not enjoy the shooting. This was about 10 years ago.

I convinced her to get her LTC last year, just after our son was born. When we had that discussion, I pointed out that since the baby would grow into a small curious child, it was important for her to be confident and safe in handling any firearm in the house. She agreed, and I've been working with her on handling, loading, and unloading ever since.

She has a lot of difficulty acquiring the sight picture - she can't seem to physically close one eye at a time. With one eye covered, she shoots REALLY well, though. So we've planned to work on that too. She's taken a liking to my Ruger P95DC, but I doubt she'll want to carry.

My fiance shoot and carries, she doesn't carry all the time due to her place of work and shes still in school. When she doesn't have her firearm on her she carries mace so she still has a chance to get away from any attack.

My wife went out anf bought her first gun yesterday. Picked a Taurus 85 . She liked the trigger pull and grip. I thought she was going to buy a sig ,but she surprised me.

A year ago, my wife could care less about shooting. Several of us in my workplace decided we would start a rimfire pistol league, and invite our spouses and familie to join us. The actual number of folks who ended up joining far surpassed our wildest expectations. I bought my wife a Ruger Mk III hunter, and myself a Browning Buckmark Camper. After the first few range trips, training, etc., my wife really started to enjoy herself! To make a long story short, we went to her sister's house in the country yesterday and spent nearly 5 hours shooting her Ruger, her Walther PK380, my S&W M&P 40c/9c, M&P 45FS, and Daniel Defense M4V3 AR-15. In all, we put around 1100 rounds downrange. We had a great time!

Be patient, start with a rimfire and teach solid basics...safety, technique, safety, safety,...unfamiliarity breeds intimidation and disinterest.

Mine won't either. However, I did talk her into just trying it out at the range one day. Didn't trip her trigger. I think many women don't like to shoot, or the idea of having to shoot someone, no matter what the price she may pay. Yet, almost all will carry non-lethal protection with them. You should ask her what her feelings are about it. She probably hasn't told you the REAL reason.

She started two months ago. Something finally "clicked" and she started bugging me for a gun. She got a SA XD 9and she shoots great. I also got my mom to go for her first time yesterday. She shot the 9mm and my 45. I didn't think she would do well but she consistently hit center mass and is now looking for her first gun.

My wife was ambivalent about guns until I took her to Front Sight in Nevada for the 2 day defensive handgun course. Now we go several times a year. Also introduced her to USPSA. Now she goes to our local Tuesday night match even when I'm not in town...and wants to get a better gun! Be careful what you wish for! ;-)

I am very fortunate to have a wife of 23 years that is as much of a firearm fanatic as I am. Our plans for the near future is to establish our own little "mom & pop" gun shop.

Link RemovedLink Removed

Yes, my wife shoots and carries. The key for me was to get her guns she likes to shoot because we don't necessarily like the same things.

Now, if I want to be in the dog house I just make a range trip without her! Lol

As previously stated... be careful what you wish for as it can get expensive! My wife likes SIGS (not cheap guns), has two and wants a third.

I wish my wife would. We are both from LI and her dad was a school teacher and union nut. Heck, he used an electric lawnmower because he didn't like storing gasoline in the garage. We are moving again in a couple months to AZ and she actually said she would consider it. Progress takes a long time sometimes.

My wife does shoot and also has a carry permit. She "appropriated" our S&W M&P9c to keep under her side of the bed and I bought her a Ruger LCR for Christmas in 2010 as a carry gun. We took the carry training class together. She's a school teacher so can't carry her gun to school but she carries most of the time besides that when she goes somewhere by herself. If we both go, she usually just relies on me to carry (which I know isn't the best plan; she should carry then, too, and she does sometimes).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back