does open carry help?

plyngar

I am not at all sure open carry helps. Besides just scaring the locals what is the point? I have a Concealed Carry License and that is my right. Does it help to make others who may be asked to vote for the second amendment uncomfortable? Please don't tell me making them uncomfortable is what it will take.

I am not at all sure open carry helps. Besides just scaring the locals what is the point? I have a Concealed Carry License and that is my right. Does it help to make others who may be asked to vote for the second amendment uncomfortable? Please don't tell me making them uncomfortable is what it will take.
Now... you do understand the difference between a "right" and a "permit"? If not let me explain the difference.............

When a person has a "right" then they don't need to ask anyone, especially not the government, for "permission".

A carry permit is NOT your "right" but is a paid and begged for ass kissed to get "permission" (a "permit" is "permission" ya know) to be allowed by the government to have the privilege of carrying a concealed gun.

But to answer your question of if OC helps...
Well, in Michigan OC has resulted in many police depts. being retrained concerning the fact that open carry is legal and that they cannot harass anyone for doing it. OC here also has resulted in many local municipalities having to revise or remove their illegal gun local ordinances.

But here is the interesting thing.... OC has resulted in educating the "locals" as you call them.. that carrying a gun in plain sight is not only legal but is nothing to be "scared" of because the more folks see ordinary folks doing ordinary things while carrying guns the more the sight of guns becomes an accepted thing.

Oh... and there is another benefit... those who carry concealed have much less to fear if their gun becomes accidentally exposed because the public has become accustomed to seeing guns... open carried.

23sdc45.jpg

Maybe you should begin by asking yourself a couple of questions since you already carry concealed. When you are out and about, do you find yourself looking for those who are carrying, be it openly or looking for indications of those who CC? When you see someone carrying, either openly or CC, what are your feelings? Do you find yourself feeling scared or apprehensive over the sight of seeing someone carrying? Likewise think about how someone who is not a career criminal will be looking at you and thinking if the crime they may be contemplating is worth carrying out knowing that you are there armed.

Now, If you have any apprehension at all in the looks you will receive from people who will be looking at you in the way you have been looking at them, then I would say do not do it. You will have to be certain of yourself and your ability.

Im not going to cry TROLL, and will give you the benifit of the doubt. Open carry does help educate people that guns properly used are no threat whatsoever. 99.999% of guns are never used in any crime and seeing an open carrier armed and not committing a crime does indeed provide a valuable service for those of us promoting gun rights. It has been said that a CCW is a permission slip from the government is partly true. In California and other 'may issue' states it is a beg and kiss the a&& os the issueing authority. In other States such as Washington and Idaho which are 'shall issue' the issueing authority MUST issue the CCW. I personally think concealed permits are are big waste of time and money, but they are a fact of life.
Back to open carry. There will always be some that are scared of guns and will panic upon seeing one. But there are far more that are just curious and it is those who can be educated.
Open carry can be a great deterrent to crime, crimminals hate seeing potential victims being able to fight back.
Both OC and CC each have their advantages and disadvantages. I carry both ways. I hate to sound fatalistic but 99% of the people are not alarmed by the sight of a gun. To the 1% I have to say, oh well.

Isn't this horse dead enough, to each his own. And yes open carry will scare some, and make a criminal think twice about you. Both have their pros and cons. But if we are gonna keep it up let me get my popcorn.:rolleyes:

One post, joined today, asking an answered question.

I don't get it. How can this be entertaining? Nine times out of ten you're going to get a pretty moderate, level response. Are people just looking for than tenth, over the top reaction? Is it amusing for people to watch other people get worked up?

Im not going to cry TROLL, and will give you the benifit of the doubt. Open carry does help educate people that guns properly used are no threat whatsoever. 99.999% of guns are never used in any crime and seeing an open carrier armed and not committing a crime does indeed provide a valuable service for those of us promoting gun rights. It has been said that a CCW is a permission slip from the government is partly true. In California and other 'may issue' states it is a beg and kiss the a&& os the issueing authority. In other States such as Washington and Idaho which are 'shall issue' the issueing authority MUST issue the CCW. I personally think concealed permits are are big waste of time and money, but they are a fact of life.
Back to open carry. There will always be some that are scared of guns and will panic upon seeing one. But there are far more that are just curious and it is those who can be educated.
Open carry can be a great deterrent to crime, crimminals hate seeing potential victims being able to fight back.
Both OC and CC each have their advantages and disadvantages. I carry both ways. I hate to sound fatalistic but 99% of the people are not alarmed by the sight of a gun. To the 1% I have to say, oh well.
Just wondering.... when is a carry permit only "partially" not a a permission slip from the government?

Even if the State has "shall issue" they are still issuing a "permit".. which is still a permission slip from the government.

It isn't the "may issue" or "shall issue" that determines if a "permit" is permission... a "permit" IS by it's very nature............... permission.

Link Removed

per·mit
v. per·mit·ted, per·mit·ting, per·mits
v.tr.
1. To allow the doing of (something); consent to: permit the sale of alcoholic beverages.
2. To grant consent or leave to (someone); authorize: permitted him to explain.
3. To afford opportunity or possibility for: weather that permits sailing.
v.intr.
To afford opportunity; allow: if circumstances permit.
n. (pûrmt, pr-mt)
1. Permission, especially in written form.
2. A document or certificate giving permission to do something; a license or warrant: a building permit.

Link Removed

infringe
v infringe [inˈfrindʒ]
to break (a law etc) or interfere with (a person's freedom or rights).

(bold added for emphasis...)

If we have the freedom and right to bear arms why do we need to beg for the infringement from the government that is interfering with the right to bear arms by requiring a permission slip called a "permit"?

A "permit" will always be "permission".

Just wondering.... when is a carry permit only "partially" not a a permission slip from the government? ~~ clipped ~~.

Here in Washington State we can open carry virtually everywhere (not totally) and we do not need the States "Permission" to do so. It is in our State Constitution that our ability for protection of ourselves, others and the State shall not be impaired.
We only need a "Permit" if we are going to conceal it, are going to carry inside of our vehicles or are in some Federally restricted area's that the Feds allow those with Concealed Carry Permits to be in.

So we only need partial permission to carry how we choose. Do I see it as still being an infringement on the 2A? Yes.. but with Federal Laws as they are.. it can't be helped.

I can remember when I applied for my first CWP here in Washington. I had to give reasonable justification to be able to obtain it. But that was before the 1985 law changes here.

Last edited:
It totally makes me wonder if it's the same person, conducting research or something. They're always in two or threes.

I think it is the same person whose parents keep them locked in the basement and this is the only way they can get attention.

Hey now, I highly resemble the picture of the forum troll that Mainsail posted, huge belly, scruffy beard and all. LOL So hope I am not being called a troll. I would at least hope that my contributions are at least appreciated.

Here in Washington State we can open carry virtually everywhere (not totally) and we do not need the States "Permission" to do so. It is in our State Constitution that our ability for protection of ourselves, others and the State shall not be impaired.
We only need a "Permit" if we are going to conceal it, are going to carry inside of our vehicles or are in some Federally restricted area's that the Feds allow those with Concealed Carry Permits to be in.

So we only need partial permission to carry how we choose. Do I see it as still being an infringement on the 2A? Yes.. but with Federal Laws as they are.. it can't be helped.

I can remember when I applied for my first CWP here in Washington. I had to give reasonable justification to be able to obtain it. But that was before the 1985 law changes here.
I understand what you are saying about only needing partial permission to carry because one method of carry is restricted to those who have a permit. However the point I was trying to make is that the "permit" itself, because it is "permission" can never be "partially not a permission slip" because, by definition... it IS a permission slip.

And if there was such a thing as "shall not be infringed" no one would need to ask "permission" to be given a "permit" to bear an arm.

Now.. as for "shall not be infringed" and the actual "right" to bear arms.... even OC has been restricted (infringed) with laws that say where folks can't OC and/or with laws that say how folks can't transport.. or even with laws that say folks can't carry unless they have some sort of permission slip from the government.

For example.... in Michigan a person cannot even legally own a pistol to carry without first getting either a "purchase PERMIT" or a "carry PERMIT". So much for "shall not be infringed" because even before being able to buy a pistol in order to have one to carry whether OC or CC... a person must first seek "permission" in the form of a "permit" from the government.

So... I'm not up on the laws of all the other States.... but ask yourselves.. in your State is there anywhere in the process of buying/carrying a pistol where the government requires you to ... seek permission (get a permit) of some kind?

Oh... and I don't think you are a "Troll" either. Quite the contrary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back