Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

Gun control or the lack of it simply has no impact on the crime rate.

Asserting so either way is giving your opponent an achilles heel.

I was going to refer you to the CATO institute, or John Lott, or the FBI statistics, but I looked at some of your previous posts and realized that:

1. You like to stir the pot,

or

2. You work for the Brady Bunch or similar anti-gun organization,

or

3. You are a troll.....

Have a nice Day.... :biggrin:

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry? Would you feel more or less safe?

No, I would not feel safer. Nevada requires you to actually show a minor amount of competence with a firearm before recieving your permit. Ive met people who volunteered for the military who were SERIOUSLY afraid of guns :rolleyes: If those kinds of people were able to carry without any kind of training........You get the idea.

Now flip the coin, there are always those who have had guns their entire lives who would be able to handle the responsability.

Here in Northeastern Nevada? Only the tourists would bother me.

I was going to refer you to the CATO institute, or John Lott, or the FBI statistics, but I looked at some of your previous posts and realized that:

or

or

3. You are a troll.....

Hate to break your heart Marlin but according to the CDC nogods is absolutely correct

Wait, wait , wait, I said that wrong. According to the CDC no gun law ever passed has had a negative impact on crime is what I meant to say I read nogods statment wrong sorry

As I stated in a previous post, when I see someone with a gun in a holster, in California (and that's not very often) I go into defense. That is NOT to say I am going over the top. I just stay alert. That's all, alert. To me that is a defense mode.

Driving down a 2-lane highway at 65 mph I am always alert, and go into defense when I spot an oncoming vehicle swerve, just a little, toward the center line. There have been many times that being in defense has saved my life in what would have been a head on collision.

I feel it is much safer to act rather than react.

I have never had to act when seeing someone with gun on their hip.

Do you trust other people W/ guns?

Frequently I see threads here about gun shops that restrict carry or gun shows or the NRA convention. It reminds me of a Pastor at a church I used to attend that used to ask “Do you hate sin?” and everyone would raise their hand then he’d ask “Do you hate your sin?’ not quite as enthusiastic a response.

Anyway I thought I’d throw this out; In general do you trust other people, people that you don’t know or people that do things that, while legal, you disagree with, with a gun?

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry? Would you feel more or less safe?

I, for the most part, trust others - that can legally own a firearm - when they are around me with their guns. If I did not trust them then I would be wrong to expect them to trust me while carrying. There have been some times that I have ran across a person that I would not trust to have a gun around me, and in that case I just stay away from that person and don't make much of a fuss over it. I personally don't have a problem with the permit system - don't all of you shoot your flamming arrows at me here, because I know most people on this forum hate the system - just as long as it is done correctly and fair. I do feel as though it is really none of the governments business what I am carrying, or the police for that matter - to a point. If my daughter was at her high school and a person came in concealing a MAC-9 or something, then I damn sure would want the police or authorities to know about it. I am sure most of you parents out there would agree with me on that one. What I think most of us worry about is not that we have SOME regulation of firearms use, but that the powers that be will abuse those regulating powers and try to take them away or make it impossible to enjoy our rights. JMHO.:biggrin:

or

or

3. You are a troll.....

So you didn't like the facts I cited and your response is to attack the messenger.

The fact is that neither gun control laws nor lack of them has any effect on crime rates.

Ad hominem arguments don't change the facts.

And please spare me the adolescent "troll" assertions. We are way past the time when calling someone who disagrees with you a "troll" is of any significance. Except for adolescents. Who still think it means something. But that's because they aren't grownups yet.

A taste of your own medicine?

I will trust you till you do something to lose that trust. So seeing people on the street with guns or at the shooting range does not bother me. Now just cause I trust them to have a gun does not mean I trust them enough to give them my bank card and pin number.

As I get feelings when I see people that are up to no good and if I chose to ignore them and continue walking towards the threat it should not surprise me when I am attacked. The gun on someones waist is not what people should be fearing, what they should be fearing is the persons intentions.

With that said If I did not have my gun to defend myself, I would be afraid of the unknowns and leave the area. As I know that having my gun gives me a since of security that If attacked I have a tool that if used properly could stop the attack.

In God we trust, everybody else keep your hands where I can see them.:biggrin:

+1 on that. I trust anyone with a gun in their hoslter as long as they keep it in the holster. The problem with this at gun shows is that no matter what there is going to be a lot of those guns being removed from the holster some time during the show.

As for the question about more or less safe I really have no idea and even if everyone is allowed to carry very few are going to (Alaska much more than Vermont for obvious reasons) so we can't make a full decision. I have often thought about the following situation. You have a bar, not a rough one but your average one with a few pool tables and more beer than hard stuff, a Friday night about 1:00 am and about 40 people, most with more than enough alcohol in their system and all with a gun on their hip. All of a sudden a shout is heard #%$^$#&%^ ^R^$3 and a gun is pulled by someone. Doesn't matter who pulls it but someone yells "Don't shoot".

Describe then next few minutes. Remember everyone is armed including the bartender and bouncer and it is about 1:00 am. :biggrin:

I trust most people with a Gun in their Holster, show and tell will get some one killed, as always, with what someone thought was a unloaded Gun. I know a lot of Cops and some of them should have never been given a Gun. You can go to all the training that's out there and if you don't have common sense, I'll never trust you with a Gun. NavyLt should know what I'm saying, there are a lot of people in the Engine Rm with NO common sense. My sister has a Doctor's Degree, but no common sense, I would not trust her with a Gun. I know people today, ex Cop's, that carry fully loaded 1911's, loaded Shotgun on passenger side in Car and fully loaded Rifle in the trunk. These people I don't trust with a Gun.

Anyway I thought I’d throw this out; In general do you trust other people, people that you don’t know or people that do things that, while legal, you disagree with, with a gun?

People with firearms do not scare me UNLESS they are acting irresponsibly with them. Seeing someone with a pistol on their hip or a long gun slung over their shoulder doesn't incite panic in me. The same holds true for folks driving cars. I may keep an eye on you just because of the potential danger there, but no more than you do when walking across a parking lot and there's a car moving nearby. Driving a vehicle normally doesn't raise an eyebrow but start doing burnouts, doughnuts or other reckless behavior and you have my full and undivided attention because you just became a potential danger to me and those around me.

I don't fear the average citizen on the street in a day to day situation because the vast majority of folks are oblivious to what's going on around them and are just focusing on what they are doing at the moment and their lives. I seriously doubt that if carrying a gun without a permit was to come to pass nationally that many would take advantage of it in their day to day lives. As lazy and self absorbed as most of the populace is, I doubt that many more, percentage wise, would take advantage of it.

That being said, I wouldn't foresee any change in my personal level of felt safety. The honest man on the street isn't the reason I carry a gun anyhow and the mere presence of a firearm is not going to suddenly change a honest man into some sort of danger.

Frequently I see threads here about gun shops that restrict carry or gun shows or the NRA convention. It reminds me of a Pastor at a church I used to attend that used to ask “Do you hate sin?” and everyone would raise their hand then he’d ask “Do you hate your sin?’ not quite as enthusiastic a response.

Let me interject with a simple answer. I only trust other people (armed or not) as far as I can throw them. Link Removed

i agree. safety class first and then, sure, ill feel safer knowing that the criminals know that 8 out of 10 civilians are carrying. Be careful who you mug. safety is the only issue there. The good people, the ones these gun laws screw over are not interested in hurting people and less likely to foolishly brandish there weapons.

NavyLt should know what I'm saying, there are a lot of people in the Engine Rm with NO common sense.

I went through pre-Iraq combat training with a Navy Reserve Chief Petty Officer (E-7) in my group. OMG... So we get to Iraq and get issued ammo for our M-9's. I'm watching him trying to load an M-9 magazine. First he tries to push the rounds in straight from the top like a rifle magazine. Of course that doesn't work. So then he turns the rounds around and tries to push them in from the top. Doesn't work.

Then I guess a very small and dim light bulb went off because he figured out you have to push the rounds in from the front. Only problem was he had the first round now turned around backwards and continued to insert the remaining rounds in the same way - backwards. I finally ended up loading his magazines for him.

He qualified on the M-4 range by him and another Chief going to the range by themselves, on the day after the rest of us qualified. Somehow there was a "mix up" on the scores of the two Chiefs and they might have "accidentally" been swapped.

The CPO in question left Iraq two weeks after we got there after he got fired from two different jobs.

Statistically, CCH holders are much less likely to get into trouble than the general population, or even LEOs. I trust the CCH carriers that I know, and the ones that I meet generally, but since you can't tell who has a CCH or not without some prior knowledge, I am pretty cautious around people with guns, at the range or elsewhere.

No. I don't trust other people with guns. But then again, I don't trust other people with automobiles or matches either. Why? I have been shot, I have been burned and I have been hit. It isn't paranoia, it is experience.

NavyLt I honestly would not have expected that from an (E-7). That's what I'm trying to say, there's a lot of dumb a**'* with Guns.

Did not read all the replies once I read gunsite's comments, which is where I wanted to go. I trust OTHER people with guns if they follow basic safety rules with firearms. I have seen too many people who haven't a clue about what they are doing with a firearm and I have seen too many bullet holes at ranges that are at locations that scare the hell out of me---these are the people I do not trust. I also shake my head a bit when I read threads and replies where the unbelievable anger and ferocity of their remarks scares the heck out of me when I realize they are walking around CC. This goes for comments about LEOs and some of the comments relating to 2A and their "rights". If they cannot control themselves sitting at a computer, how in the heck can they do it when directly interracting with others? IMO, and I am guilty of being a bit excitable, but when I am CC I make it a point of appreciating my responsibilty and change my attitude convincingly and completely. I do not know any of the forum writers I am referring to but surely hope they can do the same but it still scares me when I read their comments.

Did not read all the replies once I read gunsite's comments, which is where I wanted to go. I trust OTHER people with guns if they follow basic safety rules with firearms. I have seen too many people who haven't a clue about what they are doing with a firearm and I have seen too many bullet holes at ranges that are at locations that scare the hell out of me---these are the people I do not trust. I also shake my head a bit when I read threads and replies where the unbelievable anger and ferocity of their remarks scares the heck out of me when I realize they are walking around CC. This goes for comments about LEOs and some of the comments relating to 2A and their "rights". If they cannot control themselves sitting at a computer, how in the heck can they do it when directly interracting with others? IMO, and I am guilty of being a bit excitable, but when I am CC I make it a point of appreciating my responsibilty and change my attitude convincingly and completely. I do not know any of the forum writers I am referring to but surely hope they can do the same but it still scares me when I read their comments.

I am with you on some of the comments people make. I read too many comments on forums that lead me to believe that too many people are walking around looking for an excuse to use their weapon rather than an actual reason to have to use it. I realize that much of it is just Internet talk but there is one very well know case that demonstrates to me this exact mindset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back