Discharging a firearm outside city limits

Luke Hordyk

So I shoot my guns on a decent sized property outside of the town of Monroe approximately 5 miles away from the city limits sign. I was informed by non gun owners that me shooting my shot gun, .22 LR, and a few of my handguns on private property with a very large corn field behind my target is prohibited in the state of NC. How true are these facts and how far outside of city limits do I have to be?
Luke

The only cornfields that I've seen have the ability to completely hide people. How can you be sure that there is nobody in the area?

In my country we have the following:

The 7 Basic Rules of Firearm Safety

1. Treat every firearm as loaded
2. Always point firearms in a safe direction
3. Load a firearm only when ready to fire
4. Identify your target
5. Check your firing zone
6. Store firearms and ammunition safely
7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

2 and 5 seem to be applicable in your case. Admittedly these are the safety rules we have to learn in my country and they may not apply to your state. They are not laws, just common-sense rules to make you think about safety. I imagine it would be prudent to put your targets against a large earth bank or hill that makes a safe backstop.

The only cornfields that I've seen have the ability to completely hide people. How can you be sure that there is nobody in the area?

In my country we have the following:

The 7 Basic Rules of Firearm Safety

1. Treat every firearm as loaded
2. Always point firearms in a safe direction
3. Load a firearm only when ready to fire
4. Identify your target
5. Check your firing zone
6. Store firearms and ammunition safely
7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

2 and 5 seem to be applicable in your case. Admittedly these are the safety rules we have to learn in my country and they may not apply to your state. They are not laws, just common-sense rules to make you think about safety. I imagine it would be prudent to put your targets against a large earth bank or hill that makes a safe backstop.

You must be from Canada or New Zealand. I used to live there but couldn't stand the gun laws, amongst other things. I know the area very well hence knowing there are no houses behind the woods and cornfield.

N.C. is very similar to S.C. when it comes to private property. As long as you are on privately owned property, away from city limits, you can shoot as much as you want as long as you are far enouhh away from city limits and city noise ordinances. As long as you are safe and responsible, you have nothing to worry about. I know this from experience......

i live 400 ft from county line on 6.5 ac there is a small town that is on the other side of the river (county line)i shoot all the time but not in that direction but there are people that shoot all the time at the boat ramp there in the city limits and there's more noise that comes from there loud radios the boom boom kind and gun shots than you can shake a stick at

N.C. is very similar to S.C. when it comes to private property. As long as you are on privately owned property, away from city limits, you can shoot as much as you want as long as you are far enouhh away from city limits and city noise ordinances. As long as you are safe and responsible, you have nothing to worry about. I know this from experience......

The rule in Cumberland County is:

Sec. 9.5-100. - Firearms.

(a)

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm within the county where the firer of such firearm:

(1) Is, or reasonably appears to be, within 100 yards of any dwelling unit, house, trailer or building lot not his own, without the consent of the occupant of such unit, house, trailer or building;

(2) Knows, or has reasonable grounds to believe, that the missile discharged from such firearm will strike within 200 yards of a dwelling unit, house, trailer or building which is not his own, without the consent of the occupant of such unit, house, trailer or building;

(3) Is within 25 yards of any publicly maintained road or any public vehicular area;

(4) Knows, or has reasonable grounds to believe, that the missile discharged from such firearm will strike within 50 yards of a publicly maintained road or any public vehicular area;

(5) Knows, or has reasonable grounds to believe, that the missile discharged from such firearm will strike within 25 yards of the location of any person whom the firer of such firearm knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within the area and any such person has not consented, either expressly or impliedly, to being within 25 yards of where such missile is reasonably expected to strike.

The above does not apply when using the weapon in defense of a person or property; or when using an approved indoor range.

So I shoot my guns on a decent sized property outside of the town of Monroe approximately 5 miles away from the city limits sign. I was informed by non gun owners that me shooting my shot gun, .22 LR, and a few of my handguns on private property with a very large corn field behind my target is prohibited in the state of NC. How true are these facts and how far outside of city limits do I have to be?
Luke

Please tell me you have some other backstop behind your target than a cornfield. If these cornfields are like the ones in my area, people from time to time like to hide in them, kids play hide and seek, etc.

Please tell me you have some other backstop behind your target than a cornfield. If these cornfields are like the ones in my area, people from time to time like to hide in them, kids play hide and seek, etc.

Yes, We have set up large amounts of railroad ties. I am making sure that the shooting is done safely; I just dont want to be breaking any laws.

... and how far outside of city limits do I have to be?
Luke
Respectfully, I ask you to stop and think about it for a bit.

If any city, including Monroe, can have their laws applied outside their established limits, then we already have gun control in the entire world. Why? Because Monroe said so.

Now, we both realize that is a stupid proposition. From that, we can recognize that the whole concept that a city can declare anything outside their limits as illegal is also pretty stupid.

I know a few years ago there was a doctor in Wesley Chapel or Weddington that got in trouble for doing this even though he was well outside the city limits. I do have a friend that lives on a few acres outside the Waxhaw city limits and he shoots in his back yard all day long. Some people have called the Sheriff on him but they all said he is well within his legal rights to discharge his guns on his property. I live outside the Monroe city limits in Indian Trail and frequently hear gun fire coming from the woods near our neighborhood.

Respectfully, I ask you to stop and think about it for a bit.

If any city, including Monroe, can have their laws applied outside their established limits, then we already have gun control in the entire world. Why? Because Monroe said so.

Now, we both realize that is a stupid proposition. From that, we can recognize that the whole concept that a city can declare anything outside their limits as illegal is also pretty stupid.

The concerns of the OP are in regard to state regulations/laws about discharging a firearm outside city limits. Note he did not ask if it is prohibited by the city of Monroe, but by the state of N.C. Outside of any city limits, it actually becomes a county issue (we have 100 counties), not state.

Not illegal at all to shoot a firearm outside of the city limits providing that you are a safe distance from dwellings as another poster indicated and ofcourse able to legally own/ possess a firearm, there are most likely noise restrictions one would have to adhere to. We had the LEO's pull up to our range in Apex (outside of the town limits) many months ago due to Multiple calls from neighbors they said, the closet being 2200 feet. The caller was slightly further. Leo's looked at our small range and actually paid a complement as to the height and thickness of the earthen berm we had constructed. No laws broken and were told to have fun but were reminded of the noise ordinances of 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM. Even tried to get them to pop off some rounds with us but they declined, the old bat(caller) might be watching. Told that the address would be put into the system, I took it as legal discharge of weapons, don't send LEO's on every complaint. Haven't had a visit from LE since, and really haven't been bashful about shooting. Even last weekend with the new AR and the slide fire stock. Thought for sure we would get a visit.

The LEOs in Caldwell County have a range at their house. There is only an ordinance in the city here. Unfortunately no long range ranges.

I live in the city limits of Pittsboro NC, my neighbor who lives about 300 feet from me on a piece of land that is surrounded by 'city limits' on all sides shots his guns about once a month. His property is adjacent to the old town reservoir (called the Upper Pittsboro Water Supply Pond on google maps) and is considered 'county'. He does have a proper 'shooting' area with a nice back stop for his targets as well.

Not illegal at all to shoot a firearm outside of the city limits providing that you are a safe distance from dwellings as another poster indicated and ofcourse able to legally own/ possess a firearm, there are most likely noise restrictions one would have to adhere to. We had the LEO's pull up to our range in Apex (outside of the town limits) many months ago due to Multiple calls from neighbors they said, the closet being 2200 feet. The caller was slightly further. Leo's looked at our small range and actually paid a complement as to the height and thickness of the earthen berm we had constructed. No laws broken and were told to have fun but were reminded of the noise ordinances of 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM. Even tried to get them to pop off some rounds with us but they declined, the old bat(caller) might be watching. Told that the address would be put into the system, I took it as legal discharge of weapons, don't send LEO's on every complaint. Haven't had a visit from LE since, and really haven't been bashful about shooting. Even last weekend with the new AR and the slide fire stock. Thought for sure we would get a visit.

But who determines what "safe distance" means? Number of feet from a roadway, residence, church, school, business, etc? Type of firearm being used? I know that some areas will allow shot guns but not rifles.
I wonder the correct answers to this myself for Pitt County. One thing I do know as fact, if you ask law enforcement you get an opinion, not fact.

Here in WV, you can shoot on your own property as long as you are at least 500 feet from all other structures not owned by you.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back